help sick dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

help sick dog

i recently adopted a boston terrier he is 8 years old. recently being 3 days ago and he is throwing up all over and has dirreaha. i dont know if its the enviorment change or the meds he is. he is on an antiobiotic for his ear and anti fungial for his skin. he came with a clean bill of heath oter wise. i would hate to have to tell my kids he isnt gonna be ok. i know there are risks with adopting an older dog but he needed us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Has he seen a vet for this problem? Three days of vomiting and diarrhea can be quite serious.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

Did you switch his food when you got him? Some dogs with sensitive stomachs this can cause stomach upset with the symptoms you mentioned which could lead to dehydration.

Check Them Out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

it could be the meds, you need to tell the vet, as they may be able to lower a dose or switch to another kind so it doesn't upset his stumach so much. make sure he gets alot of water so he doesn't get dehidrated good luck

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Adolescent Pup

That is a good thought Kendalle on the meds.

If he does seem to be loosing a lot of fluid or showing a bit of dehydration you can try some electrolytes in the water or lactated ringers. If you let your dog get dehydrated it could cause other problems.

I would certainly have a talk with your vet to make sure something else serious isn't going on. Not to scare you but there could be other underlying serious causes for his illness.

Check Them Out

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I think it's wonderful that you adopted an older dog - you are right he needs you!
Call your vet ASAP. If he is so sick it's coming out both ends then he is likely to get dehydrated.
I also just read an article on how house plants can make dogs very sick. The owners of the dogs had no idea they were even getting into the house plants. The particular plants the dogs I read about were eating were succulents. The owner only realized it after his dog got very sick for the third time and he finally saw pieces of the plant in his vomit.
It could also just be a doggie tummy virus. My guys have had that and it's really awful.
Either way a call or visit to the vet is the best action.
Keep us posted on how he is doing.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

And since you are in Philly - if you want a vet recommendation I have a couple. Just let me know.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

i think he was just nevrous i stopped the meds he was on for a day and had been fine i have him taking the one pill again but cant get him to takt the othe he picks it out of everything i hide it in
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if it stopped when you stopped the meds then it probably was the meds but he needs them so you need to go to the vet to get different ones that don't make him sick

[/CENTER]

Tags
sick dog