Help for an Upset Tummy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Help for an Upset Tummy?

Hey everyone, new to the forum and joined to get some help with a confusing situation. For the past three days my chihuahua has had an upset stomach. I *think* it was caused by a change in diet. I tried switching his food out slowly over a week but I don't think that was enough time.

Symptoms: stomach is incredibly tense - his midsection is wound so tight and he shivers more than normal, sometimes the pain in his midsection makes him cry out in pain. He still had an appetite the last 2 days and I've fed him boiled chicken and brown rice. He has no interest in drinking but will take water if we give it to him in a needle-less syringe.

Before you tell me to rush him to the vet - that's exactly what I did. He's been to the vet on Saturday and Sunday and undergone a barrage of tests: x-rays (twice), fecal exam, urinalysis, blood test (including an exam of his pancreas). The vet determined it's not constipation or an obstruction like we feared and can't find find anything that would cause this. She gave me pain meds for the discomfort and inserted fluids into his back, we go back on Tuesday for a follow-up.

After two nights of being up in discomfort, he finally slept through the night last night and yesterday he really seemed like he was feeling a lot better. But this morning it's back to square one. Stomach is tense, he's not crying out in pain but he did cry out when I first picked him up this morning to take him outside. He urinated normally but still has no interest in drinking. Now he won't eat so I can't give him the pain meds. He's just sitting here looking very pitiful in his bed. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Um...did he check for bloat? http://www.dogclinic.net/Bloat-TheMo...mergencies.htm

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...dog-bloat.html

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 11-12-2012 at 12:41 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Not bloat - thanks for the article!

Yes, she checked for bloat - I should've added that my dog isn't vomiting. His stools were dry and hard, which originally made us think it was constipation, but the vet doesn't believe this is the problem.

No bloat, no distended stomach but there is a lot of tension in his belly. He's able to defecate and urinate with no pain, able to eat and pass food. Any other ideas? He seems to only be okay when he's had pain meds, but the vet can't figure out what's bugging him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hrm... maybe the new food is making him ill? Did you switch it for a change of tastes, or was he not taking to his old food well?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

a little canned pumpkin should flush him out a little, and it is fine to give. It tends to help upset tummies for all critters.

I honestly would switch the food again, and fast instead of a slow transition it can cause loose stools to do this but if his new food is making him ill than it may be alright, i would check with your vet before doing this though.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Minecraft Mouse

How old is he?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Minecraft Mouse

I hope your dog gets better, I love all animals, and hate it when they are sick.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

If nothing works straight to the vet!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Adolescent Pup

Sometimes a little yogurt [plain, not sweetened] will help with tummy troubles, as it balances the flora. Also, you usually won't have much trouble getting them to eat it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where all pets are special!!
(New members welcome and always appreciated!)

Pop in and give us a look, and if you like what you see, we'd love to have you join our wonderful community
!!

Tags
dog health, dog is upset, upset stomach