Helping to put weight on a dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Helping to put weight on a dog

We recently adopted an abandoned Rott and he had lost alot of weight so he is lookin kinda lumpy. Any ideas on how to fatten him up alittle? I just know the neighbors think we just hate him because our other dogs are in great shape. Any input would help. Thanks
Jeannie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 04:00 PM

I know some people will feed their rescue dogs puppy food because it puts weight on a little faster than normal. I am not expert, but the idea seems to make sense.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 04:25 PM

We do pitbull rescue and rehab. For malnurished dogs we use NutroMax Puppy Formula (light purple bag) and also give a multivitamin to help them get back on track. The last severely malnurished dog we got was Roxie. She came to us weighing 17lbs at a year old! Granted she is small anyway, but within a matter of weeks we got her up to 35 lbs (healthy weight for her height and build). It's amazing how fast they put the weight on when fed a good diet and get plenty of excersize. You WILL need to excersize the dog several times a day to keep them gaining muscle and not fat. Tug-toy games and fetch in the yard are great ways to help get them back on track while putting weight back on. Once the dog us up to a healthy weight, you can begin to slowly switch over to the adult formula. When it comes to commercial dog foods and breeds such as pits or rotts, I always recommend Nutro products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 09:41 PM

Good advice above. I just wanted to add that you might want to get the dog checked for internal parasites and heartworm. Internal parasites will cause weight loss.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

I already did....And since it tim e to worm my others anyway I just did him too...Took two of us to get his m outh open.lol WE finally decided to name him Tank so I would quit telling my daughter his m
name was lumpy (our other rottie is Lucy so it was too cutesy anyway but she didn't know i was kidding lol
Jeannie
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 10:37 PM

our vet told us when we adopted our Maltesse who was really thin, to give her boild hamburger and rice, and it worked like a charm!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc510
our vet told us when we adopted our Maltesse who was really thin, to give her boild hamburger and rice, and it worked like a charm!
There is just one problem with that...stubborn breeds such as pits and rottie's often refuse regular dog food for a long time after feeding hamburger and rice. I don't recommend it because getting them back on a good kibble diet is extremely difficult. If you plan to feed a BARF or RAW diet then yeah, that would be a good way of going about it, but if you plan to use a commercial dog food, you'll have a very hard time getting them back on kibble. Not only that but Hamburger is expensive and has a lot of fat and grease in it. I don't feel it would put healthy weight on a rottie, just extra fat which isn't good.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

..Well he has decided that our food is better than hungry. and I add grease or rice or whatgever leftovers are around and he seems to be doing better. He is playing with us((or rather swinging us around) and getting on well with the others.I will try and post some pics of the two rotties.well i am going to haveto figure that out.lol
jeannie
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie
I already did....And since it tim e to worm my others anyway I just did him too...Took two of us to get his m outh open.lol WE finally decided to name him Tank so I would quit telling my daughter his m
name was lumpy (our other rottie is Lucy so it was too cutesy anyway but she didn't know i was kidding lol
Jeannie
Did you worm your dog with something the vet gave you? Unfortunately not all dog wormers are the same and each treat different parasites. I say this because one of my dogs was recently diagnosed with whipworms. How she got it I have NO idea If I had used a general wormer from the local pet/feed store, I may of missed treating the whipworms.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

We got this wormer on the advice of ourvet. We have the coolest vet....he will tell us how to handle alot of problems ourselves to save us money. He used to be our farm vet so he knows we aren't completely retarded as far as caring for our pets go. I would imagine that he was reasonably well c ared for before they abandonded him ...I don't understand why they would get him fixed and then leave him unless something came up like the cops or something)
Jeannie
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 10:24 PM

I used to do dalmation rescue and we always used ground turkey (broiled) and rice good for digestion and good for weight.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

The only problem that I have with the hamburger mince or turkey and rice is that there aren't enough nutrients in it for a malnourished dog. Yes it's fine if they are getting kibble as well but when you are unsure of the background you are best (imo) to stick to a commercial puppy food, to make sure you are giving them all the nutrients they need. I feed my dog the barf diet and it isn't quite as simple as mixing rice with some meat. In fact rice is something she only gets once or twice every two weeks. If you are feeding a malnourished dog (or any dog really, but especially a malnourished dog) a natural diet you need to follow the guidelines 60% bones, the rest meat and vegies, with a little bit of a grain (except for the grain all raw) and add eggs, yoghurt, cottage cheese and supplements such as Brewer's Yeast, oils, megaderm.....adding calcium powder as well to anything that you do feed cooked.
You feed a malnourished dog rice and mince and while they may initially fatten up and all looks good internally their organs are suffering....they aren't getting the nutrients they need and you will have problems with them, big problems too such as bladder stones, kidney failure etc.
It's just like us....if we lived on rice and mince then we would suffer too as our dieatary intake requires for us to have a lot more in our diet than that to keep healthy. Animals are the same.
sorry to ramble on!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 09:36 PM

Quality puppy chow MIXED with Quality adult food would be my personal recommendation.... but what I'd like to mention is that you'll want to be careful with his weight gain. Especially where large breeds are concerned.

Possibly it's because I lost a rott so short a time ago to bone problems and now have a rott puppy with more bone problems this is on my mind but these large breeds tend to have at least a bit of dysplasia among other issues and gaining weight too quickly can put a lot of stress on their joints. Another issue is that rotts need MUSCLE more than fat. My sheperd, who should have been 60lbs was only 14lbs when she was recued. As you can imagine her body not only ate all of the fat to survive but all of the muscle too. If the dog is real thin this is likely the case with him as well and again you'll want the 'fat' he gains to turn into muscle so you don't run into the opposite problem.

Dogs gain weight rather quickly when fed a normal healthy diet after being starved. Within two weeks you should see a dramatic difference even if you do nothing special at all.

I assume you're already aware of all this I just wanted to make mention, again probably just because I'm a worry wort in the area right now
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 09:50 PM

Carmen and Deb have wonderful advice! I don't know much about the raw or barf diets but the key is to get healthy weight in muscle on your dog. Fat will do nothing more than cause further problems. Deb is right. In as little as 2 weeks you should see a dramatic difference using any quality balanced diet and regular feeding schedule.

Tags
barf diet, chow mix, dog food, puppy food