HGE....What every toy or small purebred dog owner should know! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation HGE....What every toy or small purebred dog owner should know!

HGE (Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis) is a critical and potentially fatal disease common in toy and small dog breeds between 2-4 years old. The dog breeds most likely affected by HGE are, Dachshunds, Yorkshire terriers, miniature Schnauzers, miniature poodles, just to name a few. Clinical studies have determined HGE affects only the purebred breeds that are healthy with no known history of illness. HGE has a sudden and fierce onset of bloody vomiting and bloody diarrhea, listlessness and dehydration. HGE is life-threatening if not caught early and treated aggressively. Read more about HGE and how it effected me personally by visiting my blog at doxiesrcool.blogspot.com. Thank you.

Ruth Lyn Orr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Newborn Pup

That sounds much like what happened to my dog Snoopy last year. He was a 4.5 year old yorkie and was just like my child. He'd been doing great, and one day I came home to find him unconscious. Rushed him to the vet...9 hours and 1700.00 later, he passed away. His vet could not tell me why.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

This also happens in mixed bred toy dogs.

Check Them Out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcutie View Post
That sounds much like what happened to my dog Snoopy last year. He was a 4.5 year old yorkie and was just like my child. He'd been doing great, and one day I came home to find him unconscious. Rushed him to the vet...9 hours and 1700.00 later, he passed away. His vet could not tell me why.
OMG I'm so sorry to hear that about your little guy! Even though pets, without immediate treatment, rapidly deteriorate, going into shock and collapse, there is a 24 to 48 hour window from the start of the onset of the disease. However, from what I have read, in rare cases, there can be further obstacles such as seizures, cardiac arrhythmia or even sudden death, which is what may have been the contributing factor to your little guy's death. That's just a theory, but at least we're better knowledgeable on the subject of HGE, and know what to look for in the event we are faced with similar episodes of this disease. Take care.

Ruth Lyn Orr

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy_Bulldog View Post
This also happens in mixed bred toy dogs.
That could be possible, but the internal medicine doctor who treated my 2-year old 11 pound miniature Dachshund said that HGE affected only purebred toy and small dogs. He emphasized the word "purebred" and from what I gathered, he was not a fan of purebred breeds, citing they are over bred, causing many health complications, namely HGE. But then again, that's just one professional doctor's belief, although from what I have read and researched about HGE, the breeds most affected by HGE are the miniature Schnauzer, Dachshund, Yorkshire terrier, and the miniature poodle.

Ruth Lyn Orr

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I worked in ER veterinary medicine for 5 years and HGE is certainly not limited to either toy breeds or pure breds. It can happen to any dog.

Stephanie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
I worked in ER veterinary medicine for 5 years and HGE is certainly not limited to either toy breeds or pure breds. It can happen to any dog.
I absolutely agree with you. There are no predisposing factors for HGE. The disease can occur not only in all breeds of dogs, but it can also occur at any age. However, clinical studies report that it appears to occur more frequently in toy and small breeds of dogs. My theory is the breeds that appear to have a higher than average incidence of HGE is those breeds that display a hyper, more or less frenzied behavior such as the terrier, Poodle, Schnauzer, and Dachshund breeds. But that’s just my theory. I agree with you that it is possible to occur in any breed at any age. Thanks for the comment!

Ruth Lyn Orr

Tags
dachshund, disease, dog, illness, purebred