Hi. new here and have a skinny dog. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
rgb

Hi. new here and have a skinny dog.

Hi, all!

Okay, I have a dog...a boxer, who is LITERALLY skin and bones. How can I fatten her up without jeopardizing her health with high fat foods from our kitchen table? (I know, we shouldn't be eating those deadly poisons either :o) ).

Someone said that I should give her puppy food. Another person said that I should give her whatever she wants to eat, including people food.

Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Slow weight gain is the answer to this! Just maybe give her a little extra of her normal food for a few weeks but when i say little i mean little lol dont give her masses coz she will gain weight too quick and it will be unhealthy! Do you know what made her skin and bone in the first place or did you adopt her from somewhere already like it?
As long as she is eating well and exercising well she will gain weight at a good enough pace and be fit and healthy in no time!!

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome

There are some medical issues that could cause a dog to be skinny. If you haven't already, I would take her to the vet to rule out any problems. The vet should also be able to give you advice on how to get her to gain weight.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Leo

Please bring her to the vet to rule out medical conditions. They should be able to suggest a good food for her to be on that will fatten her up to an appropriate weight.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Welcome

There are some medical issues that could cause a dog to be skinny. If you haven't already, I would take her to the vet to rule out any problems. The vet should also be able to give you advice on how to get her to gain weight.

Good luck!

exactly what i was thinking! make sure nothings wrong and they prob even have a special food or plan to feed her safe things to get up her weight in a slow safe pattern
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I would definitely take her to the vet and ask them.

What kind of food are you feeding her and what is the protein level? Also what is her level of activity? Those are some questions the vet might ask.

*Missy*
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
rgb

thank you all for your comments. i will be heading to the vet tomorrow. yes, she was adopted. she has a long story behind her. she was given to me by a wonderful couple that just couldn't keep her because they already had two dogs and they were moving.

this is the story...
she was sold to this lovely couple (the couple who gave her to me...) when she was about six months old.

the sweet couple gave the dog to their sister who couldn't keep the dog and moved out of state and gave the dog to her neighbor who promised to take care of the dog.

well, the neighbor already had a few dogs. the dogs didn't like my dog. so when the neighbor had to go to work she had to lock my dog in a room. the other dogs wouldn't allow her to eat.

so, the neighbor was going to give the dog to the pound and she apparently called the sister who called the loving couple who placed an ad. and so, here she is with me and we absolutely love her.

but that is the story...and i will be back to let you all know how the vet visit went.

thanks. glad to be a part.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aw thats sad, she has been shuffled so much.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:35 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I hope the vet visit went ok...thinking about the poor doggy

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM

A vet visit would be first thing to do so I'm glad you're doing that. Some dogs are just naturally skinnier than others, I have one like that, a greyhound, so he looks awfully skinny sometimes!

I have heard satin balls are good for helping dogs gain weight.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Adolescent Pup

Once you see the vet you will know more.

For weight gain it is best to put on slow and steady, then maintain from there. You don't want to make them overweight either so you need to find the right balance.

Satin balls helps to put on weight, you could make those up and feed plus feeding regular amount of kibble.

What food is she eating now? You could switch to a food that has higher caloric value if that isn't what you are using already. Not sure what quality of kibble you feed so here are some of these Blue Wilderness, Evo, Innova, Canine Cavour, Wellness Core, Eagle Pack Power Formula, Nutrisource Super Performance (or sm/med breed puppy is the same thing), Artemis Power Formula, Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete, Solid Gold Barking At The Moon, to name some.

Puppy foods can work too but you still have to look at which food. Some actually have less calories, sometimes lower protein/fat levels then certain other foods. So I guess it all depends on the brand. I really like Fromm Puppy Gold or Wellness Just For Puppy, both have good ingredients, good level of kcals/protein/fat.

Check Them Out

Tags
dog, health, nutrition