Hip Displaysia, Genetic or Athletic - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Hip Displaysia, Genetic or Athletic

Me and another trainer entered in a discussion about hip displaysia. The disussion centered around just how many dogs with hip displaysia is a result from genetics or physical activity. It was a long and debated topic between both of us. There were several good points made. My questions to everyone are.

1. how much physical activity should a young dog do.
2. What percent do you think hip displaysia is caused by activity rather than genetics.

There were alot more points but these were the main topics. I know there is no way to know what type of activities dogs encounter.

I just thought some rather good points were brought up and a fresh look on the subject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 10:12 AM

Interesting topic. I've heard of someone that got a shepherd puppy from OFA EXCELLANT parents and he ended up with bad hip dysplasia. Thing is....as a puppy his owner would take him for long runs. She was on a horse and he ran behind. I know OFA excellant is still not a 100% guarantee but you you have to wonder about all the pounding the pups hips took as he was running for hours during his growing phase.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 07:02 PM

I think this is an interesting topic as well.
Hmmm.. well, we had a long haired shepherd girl named Ally who we lost to hip dysplasia at the young age of 4 She was never very active, though. When we took her and our other dog (pitbull) out for a run the pitbull would run and run and run but she wouldn't.. she's just wander around sniffing and doing her own thing (this was before the issue was present) I would take her out for walks just me and her but she was never a runner. From my personal experience and from people I've known who have has this happen to their dogs I lean more towards the genetic issue and not so much the activity level, but I'm sure activity level could have a role in it for some dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 07:57 PM

Genetics that doesnt mean just the parents.genetics can come from the grandparents....My Bloodhound was put down at 6 monthe of age,and her father was on the police depertment

Tags
hip dysplasia