Hola! We're new :] - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Hola! We're new :]

Hello! My name's Lindsey and with me is Fig, she's approximately 10 weeks old with the papa of a long-haired chihuahua and the mama of a mini schnauzer. She is quite the girl. She's my first puppy that my boyfriend and I purchased from a man an hour or so away from us. Here's some pictures of her at seven weeks:

and here she is as of a few minutes ago fighting her pink, squeaky ... thing. We don't quite know what it is but it seems like a polar bear? Maybe a pineapple? It's a pink squeaky blob. Anyway, sorry, unimportant. Here's pictures:

I've been browsing around for a while and you all seem like a great bunch.

Not to be a nuisance but I'm wondering if you all have advice on (possibly chihuahua-related) puppy aggression. My vet told me Fig is showing symptoms of "Little Man Syndrome." When my boyfriend's around she's lovey-dovey kiss kiss and what not but mostly when we're alone at home she decides she's leader of the pack. I'm not sure how I should remind her she's not. She doesn't respond to NO! I was told I'm doing the right thing by replacing my hand or whatever she's biting with a chew-toy and telling her NO! but she still goes for it. Also, she has an affinity for running in front of me and biting at my feet while growling. I really don't want to believe she's Napoleon reincarnate so any advice would be great!

Fig would probably say hello, puppy kisses and what not for all but she's snoozing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hi Lindsey! Fig is adorable! She is very close in age to my puppy Jake. As for the ankle biting, Jake did that too. Every time he nipped at our ankles we gently grabbed the scruff of his neck, pulled him away and said no. Then we tried to distract him with a toy. As for chewing on things, replacing the item you don't want chewed on is the best thing to do, just as you were doing. Try to remember not to wear out the word no,or she will not respond to it. I hope I've been some help. It takes time for them to learn right from wrong, be patient!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 07:33 PM

she's cute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 AM
RAT ADDICT

Hello and welcome.She is a cute li'l pup.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

When I got my puppy he thought he was in charge. To show him who's boss I gently pinned him on the ground on his back and stared at him. My parents pups do something similar. The dominant one pins the other and stares at him. Remember she's a dog so you have to communicate accordingly. When having a staring contest, never look away first. The pack leader always wins the staring contest. Right now she's new so she's trying to figure out what the chain of command is. Make it clear who is in charge.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

awwww cutie

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

she is so adorable...when my Lady was a pup she was alot like that...we said no and we also pinned her down the way our trainer told us to, he also had us touch her side like a little tap when we said no...it worked with her....with my Puppies now its working really good...they have learned they are at the bottom of the commander totum pole lol...they seem happier knowing where they stand lol...

Good luck with Cutie pei Fig keep us updated...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley