House broken? NO - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

House broken? NO

I am having a small problem with Joey.

I take him to work everyday. He is almost never alone. We crate him when we go out, but he stays on the bed with us at night. I bring him to work with me and there are no accidents at work anymore. I keep a close eye on him and he is closed in my office. He actually asks me to go out at work. He’ll jump up and lick me until we go out. Which is great! I tell him good boy Joey, lets go outside.

At home though it’s a different story, we’re sure to bring him out often but sometimes he just wont go, so we’ll bring him in and then ten minutes later there is a puddle in any given room. It is driving me crazy. He’s almost 6 months old! It is like at home he’ll just forget he can’t go inside. I’ll catch him in the act and say “JOEY NO” and he runs to the door, which makes me think that he knows he’s not supposed to do that in the house.

Even in the middle of the night at home he’ll wake me up to tell me he has to go and I immediately jump up and bring him. It is so frustrating. I don’t know how to correct this problem or how to teach him that the house is bad and the outside is good. We praise him when he does it outside and when he does it inside we correct him.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

He might be confused by residual smells in the carpet. Dogs have very powerful noses and he can probably pick up stuff you can't. If you can, try having your carpets professionaly cleaned and start again with your training from there. ... if this isn't an option I recommend at least renting a steamer. This will be especially beneficial if you have been using grocery store carpet cleaners (they don't work). Good luck!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Oh no problem. I actually have a carpet steamer! Its not just the carpets... its the kitchen floor, the living room, the hall, the bathroom. It gets pretty frustrating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If it won't go outside, when he comes in place him in his crate. Try 15 minutes later. No freedom in the house until he goes outside and then tons of praise.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Dogs that are not completely housebroken usually still tend to favor a certain area ... if he really is going all over the house then you may not want to rule out a bladder infection, etc. Just another thought ....