House Training a Male - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

House Training a Male

Well Andy is still not fully house trained.He is pretty good,runs to the door when he has to go and only had one poop accident in the house.However he has been marking everything still.Lifting his leg on random furniture.

This is my first male foster dog and I am wondering how to break him of the habit in the house and if there is anyway I can prevent him from marking things inside???

I have always fostered female dogs and they are super easy to house train and I don't have to deal with the marking everything!

Advice please?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 02:10 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Have you tried getting the "no pee" stuff from the pet store? They sell stuff that, when you spray it on the area, they don't want to pee there. Also, startling him IN the act helps. Get an empty soda can and fill it with pennies. Close it off and when he starts to lift his leg, shake the can hard and say NO forcefully.
I'm assuming you are cleaning the peed-on areas with something like Nature's Miracle or something. If not, do that. You don't want the smell to linger (use something from the pet store or Wal-mart MADE for getting urine odors out).
You can also try crate training so he'll have less oppurtunity. Or keep him on a leash whenever he's inside. If he goes to lift, do what I suggested above and also give a tug on the leash.

I hope some of that helps. Good luck! We have a marking cat back home, so just think - it could be worse! Haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks a bunch!

I will have to pick some of the "no pee" stuff up when I go out later! He hasn't done it so far today,he has been running to the door to let me know...so I know he is half way housetrained.I actually have just been cleaning it with soap and water...
I will have to get something thats just for cleaning pee out!!!

He goes to get neuterd the first week in December and I understand this will help alot with it in the house.

As for crate training,all of the beagles are crate trained or crated when they are at the office/kennel.However this time of year is really busy with loads of unwanted dogs coming in and so they are short on crates.So when they brought Andy over,they didn't bring a crate.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:02 PM

Once he gets neutered the spraying should stop. Probably not immediately, but shortly after. Also I know they can be difficult to get your hands on, but a crate would be REALLY useful.
I'd also advise not using soda cans with coins. Even though alot of people use that "technique", and it seems to work, really all you're doing is teaching the dog to be afraid of a coke can. I once heard a story about some people who put coins in a Diet Coke can, and after that the dog would reliably cower and run away when ever it saw a Diet Coke can (not any other kind.. just diet coke) However, I would take Formula's advise about the leash. If he's going to be in the house, un-crated, he needs to be with you so you can keep an eye on him, that way you can work pro actively and prevent the spraying before he does it.
Also, when you look for products to clean up with, try and find something more organic. Some of the products out there now contain chemicals you wouldn't want around your daughter/yourself/dog. With our 6 puppies inside, it gets pretty stinky. We found this stuff called Orange Oil. It's natural & Biodegradable and the only ingredient is orange peel extract and emulsifier. and it works better than everything else. So if you could find something like that it's worth the money. As for sprays that make dogs not want to mark, honestly, I think they are all rip offs.
this is what I have Orange Oil Concentrate Qt - Medina Ag Products it's kind of expensive, but worth every penny, you can use it to clean, counter tops, floors, kills ant beds.. it has a million different safe and organic uses.
Oh, and my old boss used to use it in her dog training facility.. If you've ever been in one you know how much they can stink... people would come in though and they say how nice it smelled.

Last edited by leplake; 11-29-2007 at 12:14 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

we got a few crates on craigslist really cheap...2 large ones for 15 bucks woohooo (we needed extras for when we travel) so you can try things like that to get them...with Puppers we did the startle thng and after the first minor heart attack lol he never did it again, but we do have one accident a year and thats the first time he sees the christmas tree lol, I bet hes like wooohooo they brought my potty inside cause its cold lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
crate trained, crate training, dog training, pet store