How can I solve this problem? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

How can I solve this problem?

We've had Phoenix for almost 2 years now and she's still not used to the cats. We have a gate set up in between the kitchen and livingroom and if we have it closed she'll just sit and stare at the cats forever. She won't go outside, she won't eat or drink, just stare. If we put the cats upstairs then she acts totally normal until the cats claw at the door to come down(which doesn't take long unlesss they're tired), then she whines for them. I've tried just leaving them all out together, but then she goes after them. She doesn't hurt them, but she never stops. She won't eat or drink or go outside then either. If the cats stay still then she'll lay beside them waiting for them to move so she can "play". China doesn't really care all that much when she goes up in his face, but Hyrum hates it. He paws at her face without claws and hisses at her. Sorry this post is so long, I'm just lost on what I can do. Any suggestions? Or will she be like this forever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My inclination would be to slowly desensitize her. Have her on leash with you in the common area with the cats, reinforcing and vehemently praising a sit and stay or down and stay and getting her to ignore the cats. You might try one at a time to better control the situation, too.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I will definitely try that, but how do I get her to ignore them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A really yummy treat? Peanut butter? A new, attention grabbing toy?

Stephanie

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

The problem is, is that it only grabs her attention for a few seconds and then she doesn't care anymore. I was just trying it a bit with her favorite toy that she doesn't get very often and she looked at it and then just looked straight at the cats again. I'll keep trying, but I don't know if I have the patience, it's so frustrating.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

What about walking her through the house on leash past the cats to start? Keep the collar at the very base of her head so you control where she looks and give a short jerk to correct if she looks at the cats?

It's definitely going to require a lot of patience to resolve it, which is never easy.

Stephanie

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've had a lot of success using a Kong toy for training. [ Kong Pet Toys. Legendary strength, quality, and performance! ] They have some training tips on their website. I agree with Jade, though. You're probably going to have to do a lot of correction. Maybe having her in a submissive/calm position will help. Either laying on her back, sitting, etc and then bring a cat in and not allow her to look at it. It may be a 2 person job. Perhaps practicing "sit/stay" and then a "release" command to allow her to play? I'm just throwing stuff out there. We've only had dogs in the house to deal with.

I think the Kong toy may help if she is food motivated (like my piggy dachshunds always are). Once they get a hold of that toy everything else in the world seems to disappear! If she is a chewer they have extreme kongs that are supposed to hold up to super chewing. The dachshunds I've had have never been big chewers so I don't know personally how well they hold up.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 05:54 AM
Will It Ever Change?

this may or may not help, nor do i know the intelligence behind my parent's choices, but here's what i grew up with. a rotty (roxanne) and a lab (sasha) and a cat (celeste). after 3-4 years of having the cat, rotty roxy never got used to it and would playfully nip and the cat, chase her around the house. we tried everything short of banging our heads on the wall. and you know what fixed it? the cat deciding she'd had enough, and rather than run from the dog (again and again) she just turned around and planted her claws into the dogs snout. we quickly grabbed her paws and carefully detatched nail after nail while mom held the dog still. rotty roxy whined and whined, but boy she never bugged the cat again. the most she could muster the courage to do, was bop her with her snout. now, again, i don't know how safe an idea this is, but my idea is just let the cats teach phoenix exactly how it's going to be.lol

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

Mulder, thats what we did when we had cats and dogs when I was little. our German Shepard Max loved to chase our cat scooter and we tried everything then one day poor scooter had enough turned around and walluped max on the snout. after that those two got along great.

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I know it's not a good thing, but I was hoping the cats would hurt her, just a bit, to teach her a lesson, but I don't think they ever will. They just paw at her without claws. I think they know they're not supposed to hurt her cuz I love her.

Yesterday, for the first time, I left them all out together all day long and she barely ate anything. I had to kinda guess when she needed to go outside and then forced her out. Within 1 minute she wanted back in again and went to track down where the cats had gone.

Thanx for all the help and I'll just continue trying to train her I guess.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 03:57 PM

if she withholds food on her own i think that will motivate her to slowly ignore them....she's gonna have to eventually eat ! i would say let her 'punish herself' type of thing...you know what i mean?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarita2004 View Post
if she withholds food on her own i think that will motivate her to slowly ignore them....she's gonna have to eventually eat ! i would say let her 'punish herself' type of thing...you know what i mean?
Yeah, that's what my husband thinks too. I'm just afraid that she'll punish herself too much. I don't want her losing too much weight even though I'll be saving money on food, lol.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 04:55 PM

Yea, i understand but i think it would teach her quickly... she can always afford to loose a lil..and of course if it doesnt work and you worry you can separate them and feed her. another thing is ignoring her....i'm not sure but i'm assuming that her chasing the cats around is something that you two watch her do and etc. just ignore her.... i'm sure she loves human attention and will come back for some lovins
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

our puppies were like that for awhile, but we just kept them togather(supervised) with Tigger (gentle old soul) and after a few days the novelty wore off and now the most they do is cuddle with him

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Well this is the third day that they've all been out together (except for when we're sleeping) and it hasn't really changed from the first day. She's eaten like a cup of food a day and she's supposed to have three cups a day. I'm gonna wait till the end of the week and see if she changes, if not then I'll have to try something else.
Grrr! So frustrating!!!!

Tags
german shepard