How can I stop my dog from gulping his food? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

How can I stop my dog from gulping his food?

my little dog looks very very crazy when he is eating his dog food,how can I stop my dog from gulping his dog food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Hello Earthling

They make special bowls which force the dog to slow down. You could also use tennis balls, of course making sure your dog can't attempt to swallow one.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Feed multiple times a day, instead of once. Which would mean smaller meals, and less gulping,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Part of the Pack

I agree with more meals. It helps your dog know that more is always coming and this isn't the last meal for a long while.

I often hand feed my dogs. I dislike dogs snatching treats from my hands or crazy eaters. I often play with their food and have my hands in the bowl as they eat giving them some as they go. I take chews from them and give it back so they know there is no reason to stuff it in the belly right away.

I think it's gross but... I want my dogs to be gentle enough with food that they will take it from my mouth without ouchies. (Obviously, I'm anti dog mouth kissing.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
They make special bowls which force the dog to slow down. You could also use tennis balls, of course making sure your dog can't attempt to swallow one.

There will be very high percentage of possibility for my dog to swollow the ball...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylca View Post
I agree with more meals. It helps your dog know that more is always coming and this isn't the last meal for a long while.

I often hand feed my dogs. I dislike dogs snatching treats from my hands or crazy eaters. I often play with their food and have my hands in the bowl as they eat giving them some as they go. I take chews from them and give it back so they know there is no reason to stuff it in the belly right away.

I think it's gross but... I want my dogs to be gentle enough with food that they will take it from my mouth without ouchies. (Obviously, I'm anti dog mouth kissing.)
That's a great way to establish trust. Plus, God forbid your dog starts choking, they'll trust you enough to open their mouth and confiscate the item they're choking on.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkforshare View Post
There will be very high percentage of possibility for my dog to swollow the ball...
Then just get one of those special bowls people are talking about. They work. just google "slow down dog dish" and you'll find a wide variety of choices.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:39 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylca View Post

Its best if a dog won't take food from your mouth, you are the leader of the group if it takes it from your mouth it is the leader.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:49 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Actually, I can't believe that. The leader is the provider of food(person with food in their mouth) - in your common wolf pack, the subordinate wolf will lick and nip gently at the alpha's mouth.

Subordinates ONLY get food when the alphas say it's okay. Having dogs take food from your mouth is like the alpha saying, "It's okay for you to eat right now, but I might change my mind."

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 02-05-2010 at 02:52 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 03:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

wolves rarely feed straight from their mouth, licking is different.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Part of the Pack

It was more of a visual for the point I was wanting to make. A gentle creature (no matter how hungry they may be) that I can trust with my face.

I'm sure that there is confusion caused by alot of cutsie stuff people do with their dogs.

Last edited by Zylca; 02-05-2010 at 10:15 AM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkforshare View Post
my little dog looks very very crazy when he is eating his dog food,how can I stop my dog from gulping his dog food?
Why?
Is he choking?

Or is eating slowly a new trick you are trying to teach him?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by merickson View Post
Why?
Is he choking?

Or is eating slowly a new trick you are trying to teach him?
If it is a large dog that type of an eating habit could lead to bloat.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My puppy used to do that. More feeding times does not matter, she would just eat but not even chew. What we did was find a pretty big rock (def bigger than swallow, big enough so that they know its not food. Probably almost the same circumference as the dog's bowl. The dog has to eat around the rock, and therefore smaller pieces and longer time in between bites. Its legit I swear by it! Within a week or so she was fine.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
We bought one of those, think they are more of a fad then pratical, just my opinion

Fed up with the convention dog basket?