how do I stop submissive peeing? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

how do I stop submissive peeing?

We have a 7 month old retriever cross who is a wonderful dog. He knows how to sit , how to lay down. I can take him for walks both on and off the leash which we do every night. He is great around our 4 yr old daughter and gets along wonderfully with the cat. Unfortunately every time I call him, he comes over, squats and pees. Doesn't matter how gently I call him, or where we are. I have no doubt that if I could tell him what he is doing wrong he would ry to stop it but I can't figure out a way to tell him that the behavior is wrong. I have tried for the last 4 months to be very gentle wth him. He has never been hit other than a swat on the butt when he was nose deep in the garbage once. This problem is not getting any better and in fact is getting worse as his bladder grows. It only happens with me, not my wife or our daughters. Do dogs grow out of this? Is there some training method that I haven't thought of, or are we just going to have to make a really tough decision.
Thanks for the help.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 01:38 PM

Where did you get your dog from? Does he do this when in contact with all men or just you?

When we got our girl Cali from animal control she was ALWAYS doing the submissive peeing thing.. like ALWAYS. Same as you, we'd gently call her over and she'd pee. She was about 9 months old when we got her. We found out that where she lived before we adopted her the mother HATED her and the kids and dad loved her so she had a hearty fear of women (I'm assuming she beat her or something along those lines) Eventually she got better and 'grew' out of it but we had to show her that not all women are bad and we weren't going to hurt her.

Tags
animal control