How exactly do you get involved in shows? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Question How exactly do you get involved in shows?

Ok, I know first of all you need to have a show quality dog/puppy, but from there, what exactly is the next step? How do you find a handler, or is there some type of class you can take to learn how to do it yourself?

I've been in contact with a couple of show breeders and the next puppy we get will be from a show dog. *IF* we get our hands on a show quality puppy, I've toyed with the idea of getting into showing a little bit. Nothing big, just one or two shows to see what it's like.

How do you break into the world of dog shows?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 10:33 PM

Try doing a search for kennel clubs in your area. Really I have no clue but I'm bored and needed to post a reply to something
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

go to the akc website and find the link for the "shows and events" and it should find a show nearest you. From there you just need to go to the show and meet and talk to people.

Beware.... dog show people can be nasty. There's a good possibility that 50% of them at least will snub you. That is the best way though to meet handlers, and find out about how to learn to handle yourself.

I had a local lady teach me. She was great about it.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 11:34 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
Really I have no clue but I'm bored and needed to post a reply to something
You dork! But thanks for the laugh Dena!

Sorry I'm no help Rhonda... I just had to comment on goofy Dena!

~ Jodi ~

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, I figure dog show people can't be too much worse than horse show people! Granted, I met a few friends through all of my years spent at horse shows, but the majority of the people were snobs.

I think the next time I talk to the breeders I'll just flat out ask them. I know I'll sound like a dork, but hey, gotta start somewhere!

Rhonda

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:32 AM

Hey, if they think you sound like a dork then blah on them.

Learning the actual showing of the dog isn't hard, its the "preperation" that sucks. Of course with a short hiared breed its a bit easier. To get to the big shows they generally recommend a professional handler, but dang those can get costly.

Here is a link to the search for shows in 05, just enter your state and conformation events and it'll give you the list.
http://www.akc.org/events/search/

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I'll go check it out!

Rhonda

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

It seems in America the dog show people are really snobby and want a 'professional' handler. In Finland, the breeder or their friends/family show the dog. There are no 'professional handlers' here. That said, I know average Joe Schmoe's here in Finland that have learned to show a dog, so it won't be too difficult, Rhonda. Just takes practise (like everything else in the world, hehe)!

One thing to be aware of in American dog shows is that judges DO care how the handler dresses. While I don't think this is right or fair, it's very common there. So, going to a dog show to see how the handlers are dressing will give you a good idea of how to dress yourself. Also, practise A LOT with your puppy! You'll need to help to teach her to "stack up," which is getting into the show pose that makes the dogs look their best. Each dog breed's show pose is a little different, so going to a show to see other Bull Terriers would help a lot in this.

I didn't get much into the show scene in America, but here--because of Kirby and his breeder--I've gotten more involved so maybe I can help out a bit if you need it.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 09:49 AM

Sadly, Rowan is right about the the way you dress. I was also told it is important to wear colors that contrast your dog.

I have a book that has some good info I can loan ya Rhonda. When I find it, i'll send it to you if you want.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip Rowan!

Chrisanne, sure, I would appreciate you loaning me the book. Just hang on to it until I can find a show quality puppy.....which may be a few years.

Rhonda

Tags
bull terrier, bull terriers, kennel club