How Long (approx) .......... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

How Long (approx) ..........

Does it take to house train a new puppy.

I've had my dog The Lovely Charlie two weeks now. We've got the Puppy Training PAds and she seems to be not too bad, but still has the occasional accident around the house. Because we don't have a back yard we cannot take her out to do her "Business" so we try to encourage her to go on the pads.

At present I'd say after nearly two weeks she's 75% going on the pad with the other 25% on the wooden floor.

We encourage her all we can, give her treats when she's done a good deed on the mat, is there any other advice that people could recomeneded.

Thanks for your advice .. I'll try to post a pic !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 11:13 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

All dogs differ on how long it takes to potty train. Our first GSD took 3 weeks to completely potty train. No kidding. Our current GSD, took a few months. Our little dogs took a few months also. It will differ depending on the breed of the dog (some are more stubborn), their personality & the potty training methods being used.

Are you crate training your pup? Here is a great article: Crate Training

If you do a search under this forum for "potty training" or "house breaking", you'll come up with several results with some great advice.

Good luck to you & your pup!

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 11:56 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Just thought I would agree with what Jodi said. It depends on the dog. I have two dogs, Harlie, our first dog, trained in 5 days! She was the easiest thing to train ever...Max on the other hand took about 4 months to even get the idea...he is a year and a month old now, and he still has accidents about once a month...his last one being last week. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 06:53 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Dante took about 6 months to be "trained" and it wasn't till he was just over a year that he stopped having any accidents. Some dogs are quick, some aren't, just be patient. In the long run this time spent now will seem insignificant once he's got it!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Rocky took 5 months to housetrain...and even now he still has the occasional accident ^^'. Prolly 'cause he isn't fixed yet.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

It could take up to a year before the dog is fully housebroken. A lot of people feel that heir dog is housebroken when, in fact, it's not. The reason they're fooled is because those days the dog might have an accident the owners are vigilant and get the dog outside before an accident can occur. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you!

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Most of my dogs were house broken within 3 weeks. I'm talking trust worthy house breaking where you can take your eyes off of them for 5 minutes without an accident. I did have one dog that I would take outside and as soon as we came in the house she would pee on the floor. She would also do her business in her crate. It was so frustrating! I finally gave her away to an older woman who didn't mind if she went in the house and managed to somehow paper train her. I guess the dog had an outside bathroom phobia.

The new puppy I have now has only had 4 potty accidents within 2 weeks.....2 of them when my boyfriend was babysitting. I take her outside every 15-30 minutes. If she gets a drink of water I take her outside. If she wakes up from a nap I take her outside. If she is sniffing suspiciously around the house I take her outside. If she sneezes I take her outside. It seems we are constantly outside but hey, it seems to be working!

Do the same with your puppy but instead of outside put her on the pads or newspaper and praise her like crazy when she does what you want.

Rhonda

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Hi Everyone....

Many many thanks for all your advice. I got home from work yesterday to find she had had seven wee's on the puppy pad and not one accident elsewhere. She really is getting the hang of it and it's not even been two weeks yet so I'm very very happy.

She still hasn;t fully grasped that she is also to have number 2's on the pads, she's had one or two on there but generally she seems to just go where it suits her, with any luck we'll get her out of this habbit. I've now been taking her into our shared yard/garden and she's been doing her buisness out ehre as well, which is a great relief.

All in all it's very very promising......

Again many thanks for your help. Also does anyone know why when she's excited she's always trying to bite me, I'm just a bit worried because when she's around kids and stuff (She's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) I want to discourage her from doing this and wondered if anyone had any good tips for me.

Sorry to appear a bit of a newbie, but I'm new to the world of Puppyhood.

Many thanks

And here she is

::CJ::
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charlie Bean Bag First Day 2.jpg (29.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Charlie 19-06-04.JPG (30.3 KB, 2 views)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 09:00 AM
Newborn Pup

That's a cute pup CJ. I guess it takes awhile before you really "know" your pup is trained. My pup Kobe is about 3.5 months old now, but I still try to take him outside often enough that he does not have any accidents (set him up for success). It may get to the point where the pup knows they should go outside, but still has an accident occasionally because they can't hold it. I remember reading that a dog does not really get strong enough muscles to consistantly hold their bowels until they are at least 6 months old. Anyway...all the above posters were right....it depends on the dog. Mine is a bit stubborn, but it just takes a lil extra work.

Now, the biting question. Puppys don't have arms so they explore everything with their mouths (kind of like young humans). You should do a google search on "bite inhibition". There are tons of articles on how to teach your dog appropriate bite inhibition. My only advise would be to pick a plan of attack and be consistent. My dog is kind of big and stubborn at times (half bulldog), so we went with the hold the dogs mouth closed and say "no bite" in a somewhat deep voice method. I have been pretty consistent with this method and don't have many problems with Kobe trying to bite me. My wife has not been as consistent and still has problems with him trying to chew on her sometimes. Nothing agressive, but puppys like to bite and flop around. There are some dogs that will learn bite inhibition by you simply turning your back to them and starving them of attention for a few seconds after they bite. You gotta guage whate will work for your own pup's personality.

Tags
cavalier king charles, cavalier king charles spaniel, crate training, king charles spaniel, potty train, potty training