How long will it take to housetrain my puppy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

How long will it take to housetrain my puppy?

What's your guys experience in dog housetraining?

Dog Need It - Petlv.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Its impossible to say, some pups come nearly house trained already. And some take awhile to catch on. It kinda depends what method your using, and how the breeders kept the puppy. Do you plan on crate training your puppy? i think thats the easiest way to house train a puppy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The key is to always set them up to be successful, basically the amount of months old they are is the number of hours they can hold it minus one. So a 4 month old pup can last about 3 hours. When getting a new puppy take them out after they wake up, after they play, about 20-30 mins after they eat.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Part of the Pack

I was lucky with Noah since I was able to be at home with him for his first month. We went outside every couple of hours. There has only been 2 mispoops and some trial and error with tinkles. I would say that he was trained within a few weeks.

He picked up on using the bells fairly quick. I should not have made mine with so many jingle bells as it's loud! He also seems to know that when he jingles it make me magically appear from the back of the house. So, I'm not sure who is training who.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

haha mess has that figured out too! he knows if he goes to the door i follow so that is a great start to the catch me catch me game

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Newborn Pup

it is not easy to house train a puppy. it will take 1 month or two. good luck!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Newborn Pup

My dog was trained in a few weeks. She got the idea after awhile, that there would be no pottying in the house, because we took her outside after her meals and every couple hours.

Angela
yourpetstorewithmore.com
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Well..i guess it depends on the breed and how much time you are home with them.

Smaller breeds like chi's and my mom's cavvy, don't seem to ever become housetrained. Puppy pads are great though,so they learn to at least contain the mess in a particular area.

I have 2 cockers, 5 and 9 months old. They would be less trusted in the house for longer periods of time. I use a crate if I am gone. I think crate training works the greatest.

It depends on the age of the dog you already got too,the younger they are,the more they go.The more trips outside you will have to make.

I only work on weekends,so I have time all week to maintain consistant outings.My husband on weekends.If you work many hours and don't have someone to help with your dog, they may even slip in the cage. They will get better as they get older where they can hold it. I just think it takes months to really ensure housetraining. Alot of grown dogs have been known to lose that training too.

I wish you luck!

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

We used the bell system, and then we would take her out on a leash while saying 'go potty' over and over and over until she went. When she did we would giver her lots of treats with 'good go potty!'s. Its great because now we can tell her to go potty before going on a long car ride and such. It was really tedious and annoying, but the benefits really pay off.

Crate training never really worked for my dog, she hated it and would pee in her crate every night, even though we would take her out every 2-3 hours. She just wasn't a crate-trained kind of dog.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Lovin' my pack!

My brother had a dog that he just could not crate train either!! she would piddle in it all the time!! we used to call her Piddle for the longest time!! Moving actually got her housebroke! she slept with him,and just stopped using the crate! she was about a year old when she was housebroken though!

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:30 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rchik13ny View Post
My brother had a dog that he just could not crate train either!! she would piddle in it all the time!! we used to call her Piddle for the longest time!! Moving actually got her housebroke! she slept with him,and just stopped using the crate! she was about a year old when she was housebroken though!
i soooo know how you feel about piddle puppy . miss bella is a year and 5 months and still has the odd accident in the house no matter how many times a day she goes out. vive the small dog breed lol

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous

Tags
pet store