how much do you feed your dogs? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

how much do you feed your dogs?

*sigh* Syd is on his third bowl of Dog food. He gets goodies all throughout the day. And fed from the table. So I take him down the stairs and feed him ( I live in my parents basement) one bowl of kibble. I feed him Nutro dog food. He really likes it it's chicken flavored (not that I know this personally). He is not wormy. have dewormed him already. But he eats like theres no tomorrow, and he is still on the thin side. you can't see his ribs, because of all his fur, but you certainly can feel them. yhou can count them. He lets me lol.
I can't just leave dog food down on the ground because we are having probs with mice. *Sigh* And I can't really afford to do that. I know some people will think if you can't afford to do that, then you can't afford the dog. But that's not the case, he goes to the vet when needed he gets lots of dog treats, he gets expensive dog food.
I wish I could afford to give him food 24/7. I wish we didn't have the freakign mice problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Part of the Pack

It seems like your dog is eating quite a bit. Your dog's size, metabolism and activity level is going to determine what would be recommended. How often is he getting a bowl of food? If you are feeding once a day you may want to consider splitting up his meals so that when it's time to eat he knows there will be some tomorrow.

My Akbash/Pyr is a super slow at eating. If he could eat on his side I think he would. He is getting a total of 4-5 cups at 7 months 80 lbs. My 13yr old Dalmatian will maybe take in 2 -3 cups, some days only 1. Those portions are split once in the morning and again when I return home from work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

My dog weighs 55 lbs and she gets fed twice a day, one scoop of canned food and 1/3 cup Iams weight control and sometimes a little scoop of Instinct dog food.

I agree that maybe your dog is getting a bit much, but it all depends on how much exercise and size of the dog.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

How much you feed your dog will depend on your dogs weight and activity level, as well as the calorie content in the food you're using.

Kit eats twice a day. Altogether in a day he eats only a little over a cup of kibble, and then he usually gets a few treats like a dog cookie and a stuffed kong. His food is Wellness Core, which is 430 calories per cup. I used a website to help me calculate the amount of calories needed per day for a dog of his weight and age and high activity level, and came up with 500 calories per day. So to get 500 calories a day he needs to eat about a cup and a fourth of his kibble. On days when he gets a lot of treats I'll sometimes cut down on his kibble a tiny bit.

A lot of dogs love their food and would eat all day if you let them. You should limit them though, because there are a lot of health problems that can be associate with them being overweight, just like with people.

Have you ever seen that chart at vets offices about how to tell if your dog is at it's ideal weight? I looked it up online and the only charts I found where on dog food websites, but this will give you an idea of what I mean...
http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/my_pet/p...condition.aspx

Dogs at a healthy weight should have an obvious waist. You should not be able to see the ribs but should be able to feel them. I know it's harder to tell on a dog with really long hair weather or not the ribs are showing. If in doubt you can ask your vet what they think. I know you said he is thin even though he's eating a lot, which might be a sign that something is wrong. How much does he weigh and how active is he?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

another thing is how old is he, and what breed is he. Dogs like people do have growth spurts and he may be having one now, a little on the thin side, and eating a lot, then they shoot up or fill in.

Not all breeds should have a noticeable waist some are more square

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 02:54 PM
I am allergic to maths

Well, I free feed Rosie, she eats around a bowl and a half a day which is almost two cups. She gets a couple of treats in a day, she loves dog cookies too:-) We made a strict no people food rule, she gets tummy upsets easily since shes only little and it stops any begging when we have company

Tags
dog food