How much should an 8 wk old Bichon Frise be eating a day? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

How much should an 8 wk old Bichon Frise be eating a day?

I have an 8 1/2 week old Bichon Frise puppy named Mason. He is very active and playful, but it doesn't seem like he is eating enough. How much should he be eating for each meal at this age? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Playful Pup

You start with the breeder's or package recommendation. You adjust as needed to maintain good body condition, http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspx My guess is a cup or less divided into 3 meals a day for now.

I do hope you are sticking to the breeder's food. Sudden, early switches of diet lead to digestive upsets. Even gradual changes cause problems.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It depends on the food, what are you feeding? It takes a bit of experimentation sometimes.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:50 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Also, take some time at dog food analysis website for more info and options, maybe consider raw diet too.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 01:58 AM
canis lupus familiaris

I got Spyro around that age and I recall us having to spread his meals out over the day. Otherwise he'd get pooped and fall asleep and forget that it was even there! Generally feed what is recommended by the food (should be somewhere on the can or bag) unless you are feeding raw (which for pups I'd feed around 3-4% of body weight.)

With Spyro, food was like play. We had to introduce the food to him each time or he'd get distracted (and then cry when he got hungry...he really was a terrible puppy) and he eventually caught on. Not sure why he was like this. We got him from family and I think they made it a big deal when they went out to feed the dogs so he figured if we didn't shake the bag and make a big deal, then there was nothing there to be excited about. If you are worried, I'd consult a vet.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna

Tags
bichon frise, dog advice, puppy eating, puppy help