How often should you bathe your dog? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Question How often should you bathe your dog?

Not sure what the general rule is. How often should you bathe your dog as a puppy? and then as an adult dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

We mostly just bathe them when there dirty. lol i know thats not very helpful. Maybe once or twice a month? good rule of thumb would prolly be never more than once a week. And always use dog shampoo. regular people shampoo is too harsh on there skin, sometimes we dont use shampoo at all if there just muddy or something we just give them a good rinse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Leo

Brush daily, wash rarely is my motto as far as baths go with my dogs.

Leo goes to the groomers every 6 weeks because he is a Pomeranian and needs to be groomed.

Gunner gets a bath every 3 months or so... but he doesn't stink because he is brushed daily.

Think about it... in the wild are dogs bathed??? only when it rains and there is no shampoo involved.

Honestly I think a lot of pet owners are over obsessed with bathing their pets.. it isn't good for a dogs skin to be over bathed (in rare cases baths more often is necessary, but that is something that would be prescribed under the direction of a vet.)

Brush daily!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Betta Bomb

i bathe Coco once in the spring for his Spring Cleaning routine () as usual b/c he's low to the melting ground and gets very dirty and maybe once more inn the year besides. i agree though,to brush more than bathe.i know that alot of people think baby shampoo is ok b/c it formulated to be sensitive but in fact its all about the skin's Ph levels. what breed do you have? a vet may know specifically for your dog
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I used to wash Waffles whenever he rolled in poo, but then I just gave up because he would just go do it again. (he's an outside dog mostly) so we just let him rinse himself off in his "pool"

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:05 PM

I give Dina a bath once every two or three months. But only use dog shampoo.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

It depends on how dirty your dog gets, to be honest.
When we had Indie we had to brush his fur everyday and when he got something (Like mud) In it, but the wasn't a lot, we just brushed it out.
Other than that, usually they would need to be bathed once or twice a month, no more, because dogs need their nataral oils and stuff.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

My dogs get washed about once a month. If they roll in something they get a bath again regardless of when they got their last bath!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 PM

i believe it depends on the dog... age, breed and weather...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 02:30 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

the large dogs get a bath probably every other month, they are all long haired dogs so they get brushed every day...but Lady my cocker/poo gets a bath on a more regular basis just because she gets so muddy, and her ears drag through the mud and her little legs will get caked in it, we brush her everday, but she gets a bath probably every 3 weeks, we use a shampoo from the vet (she has sensitive skin)

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 05:52 AM

I think it depends on the dog...I have a lab and he's pretty low maintenance...I brush him a few times a week and bathe him when he's dirty or starts to get that "doggy" smell...He's an indoor dog so it's probably like once every 2 to 3 months...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

I bath mine before shows or if they are dirty and really need it. Bathing too often can actually be harmful.

Check Them Out

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 04:59 PM

i bath maggie when she rolls in something and then hose her off if she just gets really muddy but i don't bath her too often cause it harms their coat.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:36 AM

You can bathe every week if you want to. actually you can every couple of days. Its up to you and how you like your dogs. If you use the right shampoo it will not wash away natural oils. I bath twice a month usually.

I am a dog groomer by the way. I have no idea why people think it is harmful. Any dog groomer you talk to will tell you what I said. And even vets will tell you the same thing too.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 07:06 AM

the vets office i work for recomends once a month however you can do it more if they get into something but norm no more than once a month.

Tags
bathe, clean, dog, dog owners, puppy