How should that work? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Question How should that work?

Okay. Awhile ago I joined a Yahoo Group about Dane rescue. It's a national thing, and there is rarely ever anything in Ohio... But a few days ago I got an email from someone who had posted about a Great Dane in Akron, Ohio that needed a home.

The story is that her owner got pregnant and didn't think she could handle the big puppy as well as a baby. So she got rid of the dog.

I'm under the impression that the dog was given to the woman who posted about it. I'm not totally sure, though. No rescue association name was ever mentioned in any emails.

So yeah, as you guessed I emailed her about it. Told her that we have wanted a Dane for some time, told a bit about us, and left it at that. She responded today and sent a few pictures as well.

She said that there is a $150 adoption fee and that the purchaser has to sign a contract that they will immediately have Tascha spayed. This is no problem with that of course! I'm just a little skeptical about this. I have this gut feeling that this person is just trying to make some money off of the dog.

Anyways, I emailed her back, after thinking a real long time. I told her that if she is part of a rescue agency/group what name is it? as well as asking if the previous owner just passed the dog off to her. Then I mentioned that the drive from here to Akron is kinda far, at least three hours... So I asked IF the dog was just given to her, would us signing the agreement to spay immediately plus us doing the transportation... would that work.

I'm just posting it here for you guys to hear about. I hope you guys can give me your opinion about it, was it wrong of me to ask her that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Here are the pictures of her that the woman sent me:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

She is beautiful Mal...is she blue or black?? I cant really tell.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I don't know anything about this kind of thing, but I do know that dog is GORGEOUS! I hope everything goes okay and that you get her!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Thanks. I think she is beautiful as well. Her ears are a bit short I think, but that is fluffy stuff that doesn't matter. She is gorgeous. I have the feeling that I won't get her. Although my heart goes out to her because of her story... I am pregnant, with a 10 month old dog myself (Tascha is 1 year old, turned in Sept.) and wouldn't even DARE imagine getting rid of her because I'm pregnant. A big big part of me wants to show that woman who dropped her like that just how wrong she was.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Oh and Melis, she is black. The person that emailed me back (I've been saying woman, but to tell the truth I have no idea...) they said that she is black with white on her chest and toes. However, it's hard to see in the pictures I guess.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I don't know too much about it but she should be able to tell you the name of the recue organisation she is with, providing she is with one, or tell you how she ended up with the dog if she isn't the owner and not part of a rescue.
She is a gorgeous Dane! But if you get really keen to take her on maybe talk to some of the people on here that have had a newborn with dogs...they might help you out with your decision!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking her those questions!

Rhonda

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Im glad to hear someone say that. Thanks guys.

And yeah, Carmen I know what you mean. I'm sure I'd have my hands full. But the thing is that we planned on getting a Dane sometime soon. I didn't want that to change when we found out I was pregnant... I figure in my head that she's a year old now, and I won't have to housetrain her (according to the person, she is housebroken) and I have plenty of time within the next months of pregnancy to do obedience if she hasn't had any yet.

I know its still a big thing to chew on... I'm trying my best to look at all aspects of the picture.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

maybe start a new thread? I'd be useless at helping you out cause I don't know! But I had originally planned to get a puppy and train it in a few years time, whilst trying to have a baby. That's changed due to our living arrangements (movint to an apartment that allows one small animal...we're taking four so no more for me) but I would have had two dogs. I guess it depends on what else you'll be doing too. I'll be a sahm and won't be studying or anything...were you going back to school?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I think she is beautiful! And those questions were totally not out of sorts. I would have asked too. $150 adoption fee is not abnormal around here, but the way it sounds, makes me think the money is going to her not a rescue group.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

She's beautiful. It's good that you asked those questions . I hope you get her!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

I think there is nothing wrong wit hasking a few questions, however there is also nothing wrong with asking an adoption fee. Even if the woman is not a rescue, she may just be fostering the dog. I will admit 150$ is a bit high plus the spay, however this woman is most likely trying to find someone who is serious about the dog. Offering a dog free is a bad idea, asking a fee, is a bit more of an insurance that the dog will go to a good home forever. I mean why would you pay 150$ and get her spayed if you weren't absolutely serious about keeping her. See what I mean. Also you don't know how long this woman has had her and what she has spent to take care of her. I would mention the distance you will be travelig and ask if she could take off, say 50$ or so to cover gas and expenses. You could also ask if she has any other animals, and if so, would she take a donation of say food, toys, something like that. Anyway good luck she is a gorgeous dog!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

wow! she is really gorgeous! i think those are totally normal questions that you asked. but having an adoption fee is normal, too. just like SugarLoveRats said.

i love the picture of her in the bed! very cute! let us know what happens.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

-----------update------------

Just updating you all:

I got an email yesterday from Tina. (Yep, I learned her name!)

I'm copy and pasting it because my fingers are cold! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
Hi, how are you? Thanks for your interest in Tascha. She was bought by a coworker of my husband's who, yes, decided she didn't want her when she became pregnant. Unfortunately, it happens all the time. She knew I took in rescues occasionally, as well as foster for a local rescue group, and asked if I'd take her and find her a forever home.
I took Tascha to the vet for her shots and worming, and just a general checkup to ensure she was healthy and could be around my dogs. She was going into heat the week I brought her home, so we waited to get her spayed (it's a more difficult operation when they're in heat.) We also got her a Great Dane size crate and a cushy doggie bed to go with it.
The $150 adoption fee is to help find a serious potential adopter as well as recoupe some of the money I've spent on her (which was well worth it but is substantially more than $150) to go back into my rescue fund. At this time I am still wading through the many emails and calls I got over the weekend about Tascha. I will keep your email, as you sound like you could offer Tascha a loving home.
Thanks, and have a great day (and stay warm!!)
Tina
ps...you can find more Danes in Ohio needing homes at www.hhdane.com or http://www.ohiodanerescue.com/
So, she said she'd keep us in mind!

If I hear anything else new, I'll let you know.

Tags
adoption fee, heat cycle, vet care