How young for collar? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question How young for collar?

I bought Phoebe a cute little purple collar at Petsmart yesterday. It is one of those nylon ones without the holes so it can fit better. Anyway, is she too young for it? She is 6 1/2 weeks. I put it on her for a little while and she didn't like it one bit. I want to get her used to it gradually. Any advice? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:31 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

I don't have any professional advice or anything, but with my dog I've had since birth I put a collar on here as soon as she was independant (no other puppies trying to chew it off constantly, lol) she didn't like it at first and I took it off at night just in case, but she got used to it really quickly. I'd say it took less than a week. I was just cleaning out some boxes from our last move and I found her first collar, it was about the size of a bracelet!! I can't believe she was ever that small!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 02:50 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

keep the collar on your dog as much as possible. The more she has it on the more used to it she'll get. Take it off her when your not home or at night when you are sleeping just incase. Not that I'd think that anything bad would happen but she might get it stuck trying to get it over her head or something. If you don't start now with a collar you'll probably never get one her. The earlier they wear a collar the better!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 02:57 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I must agree, the earlier you start putting on a collar the sooner the puppy will get used to it. I have had both my Scooby and Tabitha since they were about 6 1/2 weeks and both were introduced to a collar right away, and as soon as they began getting their shots, they were both introduced to a leash as well this giving them the time to get used to a leash

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Okay! Great! I thought maybe she was too young, but I will put it on her first thing on the morning. Oh boy is she going to be unhappy. LOL
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 05:40 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

since she is so small, i would recommend a harness. she could really hurt her trachea with a collar and probably won't like it as much. but i'm sure she'll get used to whatever you put on her. more pics! :blob3:

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

See, I read that about them injuring their trachea. I looked for a harness and couldn't find one small enough for her.

I will definitely have to get more pics. She is the cutest thing ever!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:22 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

I have a Chihuahua and I got him used to wearing his collar as soon as we brought him home (7 weeks).

Small dogs, especially Chi's, have a tendancy to have collapsed tracheas.

~ Jodi ~

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Indecision Queen

Okay well I got Paige when she was 7 weeks. And the day I went to go and get all of her stuff I bought a collar, harness and a leash. Although I didn't introduce her to her leash until this weekend. I keep her collar with her tags on it all the time, but to be on the safe side I bought a cat collar, one of the one's with elastic in it I think they call them break away collars. Anyway just in case she starts to get hung up in it and I'm not around she can get out of it with no problem, but she got used to it really quick.
I found her an adjustable harness in the dog section but something I might suggest to you is that they do have cat harnesses and the will adjust to a smaller size that the dog harnesses so you might check that out.
I only put Paige's harness on her for a certain amount of time each day even if we don't go outside just so she will get used to it.

I hope I helped a little. Good luck with your puppy and I hope to see a bunch of new pics as she gets older.

~Angela and the group~
Oscar~ Male Crested Gecko
Burt~ Male Leopard Gecko
Ernie~ Male Leopard Gecko
Candy~ Female Ball Python
Gidget~ Female Leopard Gecko
Paige~ Female Cholcolate Chihuahua
Marley~ Female Harlequin Great Dane
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Claire wears a tiny collar sometimes and majority of the time, when she is taken outside, she wears a harness. I got the smallest harness from Lupine and it worked on her pretty well. She is small but I don't think as small as your chi. Everyone is right, the younger the better, they get used to it pretty fast.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 10:50 AM
I Just Need One!

Mickey used to hate wearing his collar. When we would take him for walks, he would have his head hanging down because he wanted to get it off. Made the walk very long and annoying. I agree, get your pup to wear it as often as he/she could.

I still have Mickey's first collar. He was so small we had to get him a kitty collar that had a bell on it.

Liana, Mickey, Sky & Rocket

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i don't know how small your chihuahua is, but when i got penny (yorkie) she was only 2.5 lbs. and i found her a harness at petsmart. its the same harness she wears now (she's 5.5 lbs. now). i think the brand is TopPaw. they make the roman style ones (come to a Y shape at the throat).
i don't know if i'd recommend a cat harness unless it is NOT breakaway. a dog will not hurt itself in a harness and you don't want her to pull hard and get off her leash.
more pics! and good luck.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:13 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

here's a pic of penny in her harness. this might help you to see what i mean by the roman style (Y shape at throat).

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:10 PM
Indecision Queen

Paige's harness is a Y neck also infact I think it is a 'toppaw' brand as well.
I haven't seen a cat harness that does breakaway so I didn't think about that, but how would you walk a cat with a harness that was a break away?
The harness that I have adjust from 10" to 14" so I think it will work for her even when she is bigger.

~Angela and the group~
Oscar~ Male Crested Gecko
Burt~ Male Leopard Gecko
Ernie~ Male Leopard Gecko
Candy~ Female Ball Python
Gidget~ Female Leopard Gecko
Paige~ Female Cholcolate Chihuahua
Marley~ Female Harlequin Great Dane
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 05:59 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

The first thing I do when I get a puppy is put a collar on it. Gambler was 7 weeks old and the reason is I want my name and address on them at all times just in case. But I do try and remember to take it off when I put him in the crate for a few hours and I'm not home. Also they do scratch at their neck when they have this foreign object on them , until their use to it.