husky vs. malamute - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Question husky vs. malamute

I really love these dogs and I am looking into getting one or the other. It will not be anytime very soon most likely about 2 years from now after I graduate college, (actually it will be my grad present most likely).

I have done some researching on them and plan to do much more. My bf has a husky mix as most of you know and he is such a great dog. And he has had several other husky mixes before.

My bf kind of likes the malamute better cuz they are bigger.

What are the main differences between the husky and the mal other than size? Also the pros and cons maybe of each breed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM
RAT ADDICT

They are both such beautiful dogs...I do not really know the differences in temperment.I only know the physical differences.Good luck with your research on them...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 07:43 PM

Mal's are bigger, and in my experience not as high strung. Big ol teddy bears. I'd take a Mal over a husky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
Mal's are bigger, and in my experience not as high strung. Big ol teddy bears. I'd take a Mal over a husky.
I've noticed that as well. I want an Alaskan Malamute one day .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:43 PM

Mal vs Husky

Huskys size ranges from 40 - 60 pounds while a malamutes is 60 -100. The malamute is a very strong dog capable of pulling heavy loads. Huskys are bred more for speed and agility, pulling light loads over long distances at a fast pace. Both dogs are very smart but require constant supervision and are difficult to train. (It took my Mal 6 months to learn sit and down. ) The malamutes temperment is calmer and gentler, they make great family dogs but can have an aggresion towards other dogs if not properly socialized. Husky's are a high energy dog but also very friendly. They have little dog aggresion but also have a high prey instinct. (This goes for the malamute as well) I NEVER let my mal off the leash for it's very 50/50 if he will return or not and if one of my cats is in sight, well... run kitty. A fenced kennel or yard is needed for if you didn't you would be walking your dog six times a day or asking the neighbors if they've seen your dog that took off a few hours ago. Both breeds are escape artists, malamutes will dig their way out and huskys will jump their way out or even climb for some have been known to climb chain-link fencing. As much as I love northern breeds they are NOT FOR EVERYONE!! Both breeds are strong-willed and are not a one-mans dog, for a first time northern breed owner I'd recommend the malamute, just because of their calmer more laid back personality.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:48 PM
RAT ADDICT

There used to be a Siberian husky that would always get out of her yard and often came to my house,because I foster dogs,so she smelled the other dogs and would hang around by my door.Really friendly with people.I took her inside once,but she was not trained and not well mannered inside...so I had to let her back outside.

The owners got her back,but I haven't seen her in some time.They probably gave her away because they couldn't handle her.She was in a bad neighbourhood anyway...where people don't care about animals.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:13 PM

agreed. siberian huskies and malamutes are very similiar. both are bred to run and will run if they have the chance. mal's coats are a bit thicker and they are fluffier where as a husky's double coat appears more sleek

size difference as well!
as for the temperment. i have three siberian huskies myself and they are all stubborn little things (whom i love haha) but both breeds definitely need to be researched if you really want one. so many end up in shelters because people buy them for the " cute factor "

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 02:29 AM
Part of the Pack

agreed, I see a lot in shelters I had a mackenzie river husky growing up, he was a wonderful dog, but did love to escape. Luckily he loved his treats AND car rides! so hed jump right in. He did learn really fast though.
Always think about adopting from the shelters, as they need homes too
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:06 AM

^^ definitely. so many get put into shelters though because people dont read up on the breed before getting one

Tags
beautiful dogs, family dog, husky mix, siberian husky, teddy bear