I am getting a Puppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Question I am getting a Puppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In september I am going to start looking for what type of dog I should get. But the problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA where to start!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok please can someone help me, My brother is 10 & my sister is 12!!!!!!!!
And we would like a small dog!! HELLLPPPP!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 06:12 AM

Can you give more details? I mean like is grooming a problem? Do you have a garden? How long would you be willing to spend on walks? Would a lot of barking be an issue? etc etc
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Well my mum works but she only works 14 hours a week and my dad works from 7:30 am to 5 pm so we would have time to walk it seeing as I go to school at 7:45 am and come home around 3:35 pm but yeah we would have time to look after it and groom it! I have a massive garden aswell so that is not an issue, I would probably spend 1/2 hour or more on walks, and barking we know will be a problem at first but it would patch up and we would train it but we just need help on what type of dog to get!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My favorite small dog is the dachshund! They aren't that hyper, but they can be very stubborn so you have to be firm with them. I had a dachshund as a pet when I was growing up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachshund

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/dachshund.htm

The smooth hair dachshunds don't need any grooming. Many say the longhair and wires don't need grooming either, but it's best to brush them occasionally. They don't need to have their hair cut though, generally speaking.

Some articles say they are very hard to train, but I haven't had much a problem. I have two puppies. They are difficult to train before 9 months. Although if you take them on a lot of walks and such it's much easier to get through to them.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:32 AM
RAT ADDICT

Puppies are ALOT of work.
They need to learn manners and be trained.
If your family is up for that - then good luck!

Now...what you need to do,is find some breeds your interested in and research them.Look at the pros/cons of each breed.Don't just go on looks.Each breed has a different temperment,purpose...etc.

Maybe scope out some shelters and rescues as well.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys for all your help!

By the way i was just wondering (may be a bit neekish) would any of you be my friend cause i ony joined it yesterday
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sometimes you can get a dog that's stilly fairly young and energetic but not actually a puppy, that way someone else gets to housebreak them, etc and get them through the roughest youngest months.

As far as small dogs, my favorite small breed is the pug, they are soo sweet and laid back. I have a little black pug and she's by far the BEST dog I've ever had.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 05:30 PM

mmm my favourite small breed has to be the West Highland Terrier ^^

But Yeah you should do as vanilla rat suggests and look for breeds you're interested in and really research on them.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

another good thing to do is go to the shelter and walk them and see if you just fall for one that would be perfect for your family

Mutts make great pets, most have less health problems, and sometimes there are purebreds there too!!

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 07:19 AM

Oh yes what kendalle says is true I have a little mutt and she is great, I love her to pieces!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:13 AM

My nan has the best natured little dog ever! She is a Lhasa Apso. She is so, so lovely and sweet. Like a lot of Lhasa apsos she can be fearful of unfamiliar things/people, ie, the window cleaner, the gardener, big dogs. She is so clever. When my nan says a familiar name she will get all excited. The only thing is they are longhaired. I think she gets her cut every 6 weeks. I don't know if this added hassle will be good for you.
here is Jodie with my dog

Before her my nan had a King Charles calavier. These are very popular dogs. They also generally have a very sweet nature.

Definitely good to rescue. There aren't just mutts in a rescue! If you want a particular breed you might find it.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 PM
RAT ADDICT

Check out BREED rescues.
If there is a breed you really like,check out rescues that deal with that breed.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Hello Earthling

DITTO on what everyone else said. Check out rescues.Get an older dog.Puppies are alot of work and money. A older rescue dog what come with shots and be fixed already.A breed you might want to look at is SHELTIES by-far my favourite smallish type dog.

Some shelties are bigger than others (like mine) but most of them that I have seen are small.
Shelties really need lot of grooming to keep their shedding to a minimum around the the house and they also need to go to the groomers every 2 months or so as most dogs do. They love play and run. Mine likes to try and herd people together and thinks he's a lap dog.They really need at least 2 walks 0 minutes each a day.
Shelties are very smart and you can easily train them, all they really wan to do is be with you all the time.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Leo

I am partial to Pomeranians... they are nice little dogs that are very smart. The Pomeranian is a perfect breed for me, he goes on vacation with us and besides his grooming needs is very low maintenance (as far as long walks and trying to burn off excessive energy), right now Leo is curled up next to my computer sleeping. I love that I am his favorite person ... he really does prefer me over anyone else, but is still very friendly towards other people. He is a big dog in a little body, which makes my husband like him (he used to be so anti little dog, now Leo is his little buddy if I am not around). Like I said the Pomeranian is a great fit for ME and my family. I will admit that the Pomeranian is not perfect for everyone though... you have to take a firm top dog approach to training from the get go.. If you don't think you can establish being the top dog in your house then the Pomeranian is not the right dog for you.. As far as barking goes, we did not encourage any barking as a puppy, so Leo only barks if provoked (ex: one of the kids trying to get him going), or if someone is here.

I agree to first look at your local shelters/rescue groups to find a dog. Otherwise make sure you find a reputable breeder that is breeding to better the breed... a reputable breeder will have their animals health tested and BOTH of the parents will be involved in some type of show, agility or other k-9 activity. There are a lot of non reputable breeders out there that are in it for the money... they breed their animals back to back and are not breeding for healthy puppies or betterment of the breed.

Are there any breeds that you are leaning towards? If you have any questions about Pomeranians feel free to ask.

Last edited by Leo; 07-30-2008 at 01:25 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Well thanks for your advice Leo i will take on bord the info! He he, But are Pomeranians good with other dogs? And my little brother is afraid of dogs that jump up at him and nip him! But I do tell him that you havve to expect the puppy to bite and jump up at you !