i am now lonely - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy i am now lonely

Well if you've seen any of my other posts, you know that I have a little Bichon named Emmie that lives with me at my apartment where I go to school. Well on weekends, I am not always here at my apartment, I am sometimes at my parents or at my boyfriends whom lives far away from my apartment. Anyway, of course I can not just leave my dog here alone, so she must come with me. That is a lot of travel for my little girl, so my parents and I decided that maybe she should just live at my parents again until I move out of my apartment. That way, there is less stress on her from being from one house to another to another. So here I am, all alone at my apartment with no animals

I have thought about getting some fishies, but I am not really a fish person, but I guess that is really my only choice.

I have thought about trying to foster a kitty from school, but the whole issue of traveling and leaving the kitty alone is what makes that option a no.

I don't know what to do, and I have never been without an animal. I think I am going to go crazy! I am extremely sad right now...

~staravengergirl~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 11:39 PM
Playful Pup

What about rats or gerbils? They are very portable and, rats especially, are very people oriented and affectionate.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally posted by Micki
What about rats or gerbils? They are very portable and, rats especially, are very people oriented and affectionate.
i would love to have a ferret or any other rodent, but my apartments don't allow rodents or birds

i think i may talk to my boyfriend and try to see if maybe we can keep our cat here, and i will just have to limit my travels and if i will be gone, i will have to buy a good auto feeder for him... no plans have been set in stone, but i really don't want to leave him alone here when i am gone.

i will think of something...

~staravengergirl~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 06:08 AM
Newborn Pup

Actually, ferrets aren't rodents. And, they need just as much time if not more than a dog, so they wouldn't really be that great of an option.

I didn't think I was a fish person either, but I absolutely love all my little fishies! I have 2 bettas and 2 goldfish (not all in the same tank, obviously). Fancy goldfish are adorable. Might be something you want to look into atleast. Good luck!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm not really a fish person ether. I remember enjoying the fun of picking them out and watching them endlessly though. I just don't care for tank cleaning and all the work that goes along with them. I think they make some really cute small set ups for fish now though- might want to check it out.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally posted by LavenderFleur
Actually, ferrets aren't rodents. And, they need just as much time if not more than a dog, so they wouldn't really be that great of an option.
Yes, I know they are not rodents - my sentance makes it sound like I thought they were though - oops!

It looks like I will be leaning towards the fish option. I have been looking at a lot of tanks, and I like the saltwater set ups better, so I may try something there.

~staravengergirl~
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I love my fish, they are soooo soothing. I had to unplug my bubble bars last night, they are messed up and I didn't think I was gonna be able to sleep, lol.

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

while salt water tanks are beautiful (I want one myself) I must forwarn you to very seriously consider the cost of maintaining one before you buy one! They are very exspensive to maintain (and also require more time involved than a freshwater does)...

To be honest I think in your situation of travel and such a fresh water would be a better option. Either way... I hope you find something that suits your need! what about a hedgehog?? granted they are spikey BUT they too will sometimes cuddle & play with you once they warm up to you. Also they are very independant so you could leave overnight & not worry about them being lonley. (also they don't smell & are very quiet)

just a thought
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh I so agree with Kay about the expense and time involved with a salt water set-up! I would love to have one too, but the cost of the fish alone - so expensive.... it would kill me if something went boofie with the tank and they died!

It's so funny that you guys have been talking about fish! I used to have a small fresh water tank and I was such a fish-nerd! They are SO soothing, I love to sit and watch them.

A hedgie also sounds like an option - I just love looking at the pictures of Widget (Kay's) and Louie (Jodi's) - and Cait's hedgies! They are just too cute

[center]

[
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I have a hamster, which is really easy to hide in an apartment. You can tame them and they make great pets. If you weren't traveling far you could just laod the cage into the car with you, although making sure they ahd food and water would be okay too. Good luck on whatever you decide and if you want any more hamster information, I'd be happy to help you!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Okay, so here is the deal:

I am aware of the issues that come along with a saltwater set up, but I am also ready to do what needs to be done along with it. I have never had fish since I was a little girl, so this is pretty new to me. My boyfriend has a large saltwater set up that he just purchased, but no fish yet. It is too big of a tank to have at my place for us, but he also has a small ten gallon tank... is that too small for a set up? Remember, I am new at this! His tank is 55 gal, and he is new to the salt waters too. He had a fresh water tank before.. and he knows quite a bit on fishtanks and all, but he is out of town on business, so I can't really sit and talk to him about all this. Okay so back on topic... I would really like to learn more about these and see if it will work. I briefly talked to him about keeping our cat at my apartment, but again, I don't want to leave him alone. I suppose you are wanting to know how/where/why I travel so much, but it is becuase since I am away at college, I am away from family and such, so I travel on the weekends to see them (the most important live an hour to five hours away... and if they live that far, I would stay overnights...) anyway, thats why I don't like leaving them alone. The lease for my apartment is SO strict, but it was the cheapest in my area that allowed pets, so I took it (I pay only $55 a month! ) and they don't allow any sort of rodent, so I am sure I can't have a hamster or a hedgie or anything... they are so strict! I really have no other options other than a) getting another animal (oh how I would love to!) b) letting cisco live here c) getting fishies... I will have to update ya'll...

Thanks so much for helping me out with options - I know my posts are long!

~staravengergirl~