I bought a Puppy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

I bought a Puppy

Hi everyone, so i just bought my first puppy I bring her home on friday, but I am not all too sure how to train them. I have "trained" my cats to an extent but im sure dogs aren't all the same. she is a chihuahua and is about 3 months old. The other thing is...I am not the kind of person to buy animals i usually believe in rescueing them, but i fell in love with her and she was still there a month later, and i feel guilty for buying a dog when I could have adopted one. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to not feel guilty. I keep trying to think that the dog would have probably ended up at a shelter if left in the store for too long or put to sleep anyway...but it's not working and i just feel like a terrible person . If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:36 AM

try not to worry as you said the chances are high she would end up in a shelter anyway so you have saved her that much trauma at least. I got my puppy yesterday . Training wise just be firm and dont let them get away with anything, stand your ground so to speak. Cant wait to see the pics
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:50 AM

My rule of thumb especially with little dogs is ask your self, "Would I want this dog to do this if it was an 80 pound German Shepherd?" Usually the answer is no.

Invest in a crate and work on crate training with potty training, it will make your life a lot easier and you won't come home to find everything in the house tore up. I'm guessing you got her from a pet shop. if so don't be surprised if she has no problem with going to the bathroom in her crate.

Here is a great read on what to expect from your puppy...I am your puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Even animals in the pet shop need a good home. Don't feel guilty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

thank you
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

How's your puppy doing? What have you called her? I can't wait to see some photos!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

I am pretty sure she is doing well I can't pick her up till friday for reasons on my part. She is really adorable and I will post pics as soon as I get her and take some. I will let you all know
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:43 PM

You could make a donation to the local shelter, every little bit helps so It doesnt even have to be that much. That way maybe you wont feel guilty. Congrats on the new puppy, there is TONS of info on the net and books as well. I am jelous.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 10:57 PM

Simlingrl19,
your new puppy is adorable!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:06 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

She's gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 01:40 PM

If you would of went into that pet store and bought her right away than maybe a little quilt but you waited for a month that is along time for a pet store and yes chances are she would of ended up in a shelter. The suggestion of donating to shelter is awsome. For people who get a little back from taxes that might be a good investment!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:47 PM

Wink i love your puppy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingrl19
Hi everyone, so i just bought my first puppy I bring her home on friday, but I am not all too sure how to train them. I have "trained" my cats to an extent but im sure dogs aren't all the same. she is a chihuahua and is about 3 months old. The other thing is...I am not the kind of person to buy animals i usually believe in rescueing them, but i fell in love with her and she was still there a month later, and i feel guilty for buying a dog when I could have adopted one. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to not feel guilty. I keep trying to think that the dog would have probably ended up at a shelter if left in the store for too long or put to sleep anyway...but it's not working and i just feel like a terrible person . If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you.
I love your puppy smilingrl19!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone...I am glad I got such great responses and I did donate ...it was only a little money to a group collecting at the pet store. Thank you.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 09:08 AM

your puppy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingrl19
your puppy is cute smilingrl19!

Tags
crate training, german shepherd, local shelter, pet shop, pet store, potty train, potty training