I feel horrible - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I feel horrible

Well, I already felt bad that Phoenix had to be in her kennel for 9 hours while we were at work, but now we have to work four, 10 hour shifts a week so now she has to be in there for 11 hours(30min drive to work). I feel so horrible, it makes me cry. There just isn't any other options, I don't know what we could do. The good thing is that we'll be buying a new house soon with a nice big garage and then she'll never have to be in her kennel ever again. I just can't stop thinking of her all day at work and how horrible I am for keeping her cooped up for too long. She doesn't act like she's upset about being in there, she actually really loves her kennel, but I don't feel okay about it. What can i do? AHHH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:36 AM
Jird Jostler

Isn't there any way you cauld just let her in a specific room in your home or block off part of your garden for her.. ?

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah what about locking her in a bedroom or bathroom? or a hallway with baby gates?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Jird Jostler

I only thought that because my auntie (who had a home the standard of a show home) has her dog in the kitchen.

I'm Georgia,
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Maybe try to get someone to stop by and let her out in the middle of the day? A dog walker, or someone you know who has free time?

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Jird Jostler

Thats a good idea ^

I'm Georgia,
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Tanner loves his kennel too, we try to keep the door open whenever were home, but sometimes he just wants to be in there. You shouldnt let yourself feel so bad about having her in there, she prolly just sleeps the whole time anyway, and im sure you make it up to her when you get home. It would be nice if you could have someone come check on her during the day, or let her out for a little play, but i know thats not always an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:56 PM

Why not hire a pet sitter to come and walk her during the middle of the day? Or maybe pay a neighborhood kid (a trustable one) to take her for a walk when they get out of school in the afternoon. It really isn't fair to her to leave her locked up for that long.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia163 View Post
Isn't there any way you cauld just let her in a specific room in your home or block off part of your garden for her.. ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
yeah what about locking her in a bedroom or bathroom? or a hallway with baby gates?
We don't have a garden, lol. Plus I would never leave her outside unattended or while I wasn't home, too risky in a many ways.
The bathroom and bedroom are the only rooms that she could be kept in and they are very small.(Which is one of the reasons why we're buying a new house) The amount of room she would have to walk around in, in both rooms would basically be the same as her kennel, lol. Her kennel isn't tiny, she can stand and stretch, she just can't walk around much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
Maybe try to get someone to stop by and let her out in the middle of the day? A dog walker, or someone you know who has free time?
We work nights so that's not really an option, plus we have no friends and my mom would never do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff View Post
Tanner loves his kennel too, we try to keep the door open whenever were home, but sometimes he just wants to be in there. You shouldnt let yourself feel so bad about having her in there, she prolly just sleeps the whole time anyway, and im sure you make it up to her when you get home. It would be nice if you could have someone come check on her during the day, or let her out for a little play, but i know thats not always an option.
She does that too. We'll come home from work and then like an hour later she's laying in her kennel, lol. I video taped her one time when we had an 8 hour shift and she did sleep pretty much the whole time, but it still makes me feel bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFancyFerret View Post
Why not hire a pet sitter to come and walk her during the middle of the day? Or maybe pay a neighborhood kid (a trustable one) to take her for a walk when they get out of school in the afternoon. It really isn't fair to her to leave her locked up for that long.
I wouldn't trust anyone around here to look after my pets! People around here are animal abusers, not all, but a lot of them. And again, we work nights, so most people, especially kids are sleeping. I know that it's not fair, but what choice do I have? Better then being cooped up in a shelter with basically no attention at all.

Last edited by Nikko; 06-04-2008 at 02:32 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Honestly, if you work nights, she'd be in there anyways, right? I mean, normally dogs get crated overnight. So as long as you guys are giving her lots of attention and playing with her a lot during the day, I don't think there's a problem. Do you guys exercise her a lot?

Also, what time does your shift start? You may be able to find someone to come over at about 10pm or so, just to break up her night. Would you trust someone from your vet's office? That's where I found my petsitter.

Overall, I think she's fine. And I think it's hilarious that video-taped her! Haha. I've always wanted to do that.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula86 View Post
Honestly, if you work nights, she'd be in there anyways, right? I mean, normally dogs get crated overnight. So as long as you guys are giving her lots of attention and playing with her a lot during the day, I don't think there's a problem. Do you guys exercise her a lot?

Also, what time does your shift start? You may be able to find someone to come over at about 10pm or so, just to break up her night. Would you trust someone from your vet's office? That's where I found my petsitter.

Overall, I think she's fine. And I think it's hilarious that video-taped her! Haha. I've always wanted to do that.
Yes, but she's in there while we sleep too, so that's pretty bad. She gets a lot of attention and a lot of exercise! When we're at home, she gets non-stop attention, I'm not kidding!

We work from 3:30pm-1:30am, but it's a 30 min drive so we're gone from 3pm-2am. There is no one that I can get to come let her out, I have no friends and all of my family lives out of town. I would definitly let someone from the vets let her out,but I don't think they'd come all the way out here to do it, lol.

It actually was a very boring video, basically sleeping the whole time, lol.

Well, thanx for listening and trying to help everyone, but it looks like we/she is just going to have to wait until we get our new house.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Jird Jostler

What do you mean that you have no friends??? You have us! =]

I'm Georgia,
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

I knew you had to sleep sometime. But I still think she's fine.

And you'd be surprised. Some vet techs do pet-sitting on their off time. Some might really need some extra cash or something. Or have older kids who do. ???

If you are giving her attention and exercise, I think she'll be just fine.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM

Nikko, you are the best! Quit worrying so much. You will have a new home in no time and all will be fixed. You are doing what has to be done now and it is o.k. Your puppy is sleeping anyway and is safe. That is all that matters. You aren't abusing your dog. Remember you are working "nights" LOL - when your dog would be sleeping anyway! Now, stop being so hard on yourself. hee hee. You are a good person.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

She'll probably be alright. All my parents lazy bum dogs do is sleep. They sleep most of the day and play around for a few hours. Hopefully once you get the new place you can change some stuff for her.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------