I got a new puppy!!! - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:54 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i watched on animal planet about a woman and her deaf great dane. she trained him in agility and everything!! awesome!

btw- that is how you train the name: through a signal. you can just make one up (a fist or 'V', whatever). so she WILL know her name, just in a different way then we do.

i love the name Joy. cute (and a dishwashing soap to boot! haha). let us know! you can train her on your own, too. just substitute hand signals for words.

i loove the vibrating collar idea. i thought of that, too, mel! i just didn't know they really made em! great!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I spoke with the breeder last night to tell him that she is indeed deaf. He said I could send her back, he'd give me another puppy, blah blah blah. I asked how much money he would refund if I kept her. He said only half. Half is still quite a bit so I argued with him.....I didn't tell him that I would've kept her even if he didn't refund any money. I talked him way down on the price and ended up talking him into only charging me for the shipping, crate, and her first shots. He finally agreed to that only because he didn't want the puppy shuffled around from home to home, he knew that she had a good home with me.

Today was the first day that I've had to work since I've gotten her. My mom was home from work at 2:30 and took her outside every 1/2 hour. The puppy hasn't had any more accidents yet. She even slept all night without needing to go out. I actually had to wake her up to take her outside before I went to work this morning.

She's responding more and more to me hitting the floor to get her attention. She will look at me, I'll give a waving "come here" sign and she runs right over. I need to buy a sign language book. I know obedience signs are different than ASL signs, so I'm not sure which to use. I wanted to learn sign language anyway, now I have a really good incentive to do so.

I still haven't come up with a name yet. Not to sound sarcastic or anything but I'm thinking of naming her Echo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:06 PM

I would go with established obediance signs, however, IMO you can use whichever you feel more comfortable with. Heck, the sign you use for "sit" could be SL for the letter "D." As long as you can remember it, that's all that matters.

Have you decided on a name yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i think you should just use whatever hand signal comes naturally. for instance, you may feel comfortable with putting your hand out, palm to the dog, fingers up for Stay. cause most people use that with kids and stuff. i think you'll do it naturally.

i like Echo, btw!

post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:17 PM

I think Echo is an awesome choice
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Scarlette

I'm sorry to hear this. HOWEVER! I KNOW you will give her the best home ever! I like the name echo and in a round about way it is fitting! My understanding is someone/something that is deaf can sometimes hear echos or certain pithes rather than standard tone. So echo would be fitting!

One way I found to encourage Winnie of good behavoir was kisses under the chin. Actually make the puckering sound so she can feel the vibration ... she has figured out that what I do this she is being rewarded for good behavior! (In Winnie's case it was for not biting)

I'm sure you are gonna go through some trying times and know you will make it, but in the mean time you will have an incredible bond with her, one you never imagine possible!
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:29 PM

lol. Forgive my question. I didn't read the last line in your post, Scarlette, for some reason.

Echo could definitely work.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 11:01 AM

Scarlette, I love the name you chose for her! That is good the breeder agreed to refund most of your money. Sounds like you are already working with your new baby to respond to hand gestures and it is positive. Soon enough this will come so naturally to you, you won't even notice you are communicating without having to rely on your voice.
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 02:32 PM

echo is a beautiful name, this is a great story too, keep us posted. you have your hands full but it sounds like your a great mommy and you love her dearly.
love,
shannon
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:20 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Echo is a wonderful choice of name for your puppy, Scarlette. It suits her.

What Melissa said earlier about a vibrating collar... these do exist. I'm not sure if it can come seperately, but a lady I know (Melissa... it's Martha) she has a Blue Doberman, and she said she just recently got her a shock collar. (I'm personally not to fond of them... I even tried it out on my finger set at 30 and it doesn't hurt that bad, but I'm not into them.) Anyways, it had an option for just vibration. It feels like a pager going off. Something like that would probably work out wonderful with having a large open yard. Just put the collar on her, use the "come here" hand signal you said you're using, and at the same time buzz the collar. Continual practice would have a smart puppy like "Echo" coming on the buzz sooner than you think.

post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 AM

Thumbs up

Sorry, I am kind of new to the whole ' post thing ' but anyways I have read all of the comments and ofcourse your threads Scarlette and I am so sorry to hear that your little pup is deaf but you know she has got a fantastic mother so you will both cope fine! I think Echo is the perfect name for her! Also do you think you could get one of those collars that shows that they are deaf for example put it on the collar. Its and idea but if you think that its a bit sad then dont bother its just an idea!
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

This thread is FOUR years old.

Stephanie

post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

She's beautiful! I've always wanted one of those!
Closed Thread

Tags
animal planet, bull terrier, chew toy, clicker training, dog training, puppy food, vet visit