I got a new puppy!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Talking I got a new puppy!!!

I just got her on Thursday. She is an 8 week old Bull Terrier and cute as a button. I been looking on the internet at different breeders, different puppies for about 2 years and nothing really caught my eye. When I saw the pic of her I knew I wanted HER! After emailing and speaking with the breeder I decided to go ahead and get her. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of shipping her, but her flight would only be 2 hours. I thought that would be much easier on her than a 14 hour road trip (one way). I don't have a name for her just yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puppy1.jpg (20.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg puppy2.jpg (22.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg puppy3.jpg (21.4 KB, 28 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW CUTE!!!

i can't wait to know the name!!!!! how is she doing so far??

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

OMG Scarlette she is adorable!!!! !

More pics!! What's her name? How old? Come on, tell us allll about her.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Ugh i am so jealus! She is a cutie!

post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Miss New Booty

Awwwwwww! Scarlette, I knew you were keeping us in suspense after the "Best Puppy Food" thread! She is adorable!!!! Any idea's for a name yet?

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

OMG!!! Congrats Scarlette!! What a cutie!!

I can wait to hear all about her - and what you decide her name is going to be!!

YAY YAY!!!

[center]

[
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Congrats Scarlette, she is a doll!!!! can't wait to hear what you name her and for more pics

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

And now the bad news......

I think she's deaf. Red flag number 1: She was not bothered in the least when I took her out of the crate after being on a noisy plane. I thought for sure she would be a little scared but she wagged her tail and acted like I was her best friend. I thought maybe she was just an overly friendly puppy.

Red flag number 2: On the ride home I would make kissing noises and she wouldn't respond. At one point she was sound asleep on the floor and I stopped at a gas station. She didn't wake up at all when the truck doors were slammed shut. I thought maybe she was just really really tired.

Red flag number 3: When my mom took over driving I snapped my finger right next to her ear. No response.

Red flag number 4 and the clincher: When we finally got home (I live 4 hours from the airport) the puppy played for awhile and fell asleep on my lap. My mom had been arguing with me the whole time that the puppy was NOT deaf, she was just tired and ignoring me. Bullies can be stubborn. My mom took an empty coffee can and a wooden spoon and banged them together right next to the sleeping puppy. There was absolutely NO response and she kept sleeping.

Of course I was devastated. I called the breeder and told him. He told me that I could send her back and he would give me another puppy. Um, excuse me, but I'm already attached to this one. I told him that I'm not making any decisions right now and that I'm taking her to my vet on Monday (since she is on vacation right now). He said that was fine and he would "make it right" by me, whatever happens.

Last night I was laying on the floor with her and she fell asleep cuddled up next to me. One of Jeff's friends was there and he yawned and made a noise. She picked her head up like she heard it. Today when I whistled she stopped what she was doing and acted like she could kind of hear it. She's showing signs that she can hear higher pitched noises but doesn't seem to hear when I speak in a normal tone.....sometimes it's like she can only hear once in awhile. I don't know, I've never had a deaf dog.

I'm hoping and praying that her ears "popped" on the plane, like what happens with humans, and that this is only temporary. I'm also trying to find someone who has experience working with deaf dogs. I'm definitely going to need help training her to know hand signals if she is indeed deaf for life.

I am NOT sending her back. What would the breeder do with her? If she is deaf, it's most likely hereditary and she can't be used for breeding, so what good is she to him? He would probably have her put to sleep. He said this has never happened to him before but promised he would "make it right with me". She does have a health guarantee.

She seems incredibly smart. We've had only 1 potty accident in the house. She already goes to the door and whines when she needs out. I keep her crate next to my bed and she will whine at night when she needs to go out.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the hearing impairment is only temporary.

Rhonda

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Awww (((((hugs))) I hope she will be okay, but even if she is deaf, I am glad she is with you because you will love and take care of her.

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i'm with nicole..

i'm so glad she has you to take good care of her.

there are so many things that you can do when you have a deaf dog. there are hand signals for every command and most pick them up just as quickly as the verbal ones. i think everything will be ok.

i had a deaf dog once for a little while (we had to give her to a shelter because of anxiety and unpredictable behavior), but she learned the hand signal for getting off the couch in one day (after using it twice).

it will be ok and we are ALL here for you! we love your little pup!

post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

WOW Scarlette, I'm sorry. Here is hoping it is only a temporary thing. Prayers coming your way.

When we got Chewy shipped in, he was nervous, but had no apparent hearing issues from the flight.

I know a lady who has a deaf dog, and she is the smartest Dalmation I have EVER seen. I'll have to ask her for some insight on where she learned the training, or what help she had. I would think it would be the same training method with the only difference being how to hold her attention focused on you.

No matter what, she's in wonderful hands.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh no, I really hope she's not deaf. She is absolutley adorable! I love her!!! I can't wait to see tons of pics of her.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:58 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Congrats hon!! How exciting for you!

I hope it's a temporary hearing issue....you'll both be in my prayers. I have no experience with a deaf puppy but I know you'll give her a great home Scarlette.

~ Jodi ~

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

Wow, what an emotional roller coaster you've been on. I'm sorry to hear.

I'm with you though, no way would I send her back. I'm sure the two of you will do just fine.....

I may be wrong, but I don't remember reading what her name is, did you come up with one??

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Scarlette congrats on your new puppy!!! I hope she isn't deaf but I know that if she is you will be a great mum to her. I'm sure if you work closely with a trainer you will be able to train her to be one of the smartest dogs!! I really hope it isn't permanent deafness and just something from the plane. Keep us posted.....she's an absolutely little cuite by the way!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Closed Thread

Tags
animal planet, bull terrier, chew toy, clicker training, dog training, puppy food, vet visit