I hate it when I'm right. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thumbs down I hate it when I'm right.

The dermatologist saw Gumbo today and agrees with me - he probably has allergies. We can't really test him or do a food trial until 6 months of age at least (he's 4 1/2 mos) so he gave me an allergy shampoo to try and soothe the skin for now. He doesn't seem to have any infected areas (i.e. staph as a result of scratching/licking etc.) so that's a positive. He said to keep up on the frontline to alleviate any potential fleas and use the shampoo. He'll take another look at him in a few weeks. He said what I said - "He's a pug." Seems about right, I can't have an 'easy' animal.

Any 'no itchy' vibes would certainly be appreciated.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 10:35 PM

Hopefully the shampoo will help a ton. I had some prescription only shampoo for one of my dogs and it really worked wonders in the area. "Pugs will be pugs" I guess .... I'm sure time and adjustments will find resolution
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 10:36 PM

i'm so sorry Steph.

no itchy vibes your way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Let me tell you how grateful I am to work in an office with a dermatologist, though! Glad to hear you had good results with prescription shampoos, Deb. He's due for his frontline so I'll do that tonight and then try the shampoo Friday since he just had a bath this weekend.

Stephanie

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww man, I'm sorry Steph.
~*No itchy vibes for Gumbo!*~ I hope the shampoo helps!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 11:10 PM

Sending "no itchy" vibes for Gumbo!
Hopefully that shampoo will help!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 11:21 PM

When Harley was itching like crazy and we were going nuts trying to figure out what was wrong, tons of money and vet visits later, a different vet gave us medicated shampoo.

It did work. She still itches a bit, but not nearly as bad. And since the food change, it still hasn't been bad. We also use Frontline for her, and we just gave her the drops today.

Here's hoping he's not so itchy!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 12:23 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My friend has a Lab that has horrible allergies. The poor thing has to take Benadryl quite often and uses the medicated shampoo and she is still really itchy. I hope Gumbo gets relief with the shampoo.

~~~no itchy vibes~~~

Rhonda

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I tried to use benadryl with him on a couple occasions but it really seemed to elevate his heart and respiratory rates so I prefer not to.

Thanks for all the support everyone.

Stephanie

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 12:59 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

ok here i go......

woogy woogy woogy!

there you go! i sent some "no itch" vibes!! i hope gumbo wumbo starts to feel better.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 09:25 AM

Awwww, that stinks. Too bad he can't take the benedryl, that's what helped Bach. I hope the shampoo works for now!!

***NO ITCHY VIBES***

Tags
vet visit, vet visits