I have an anouncment!!... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

I have an anouncment!!...

Wellll......
I havn't told many people and I havn't posted yet because I didn't feel ready if you know what I mean.
Three weeks ago we got a male German Shephard puppy!!!
We got him from a breeder and I know we were going to get one in April next year, however, the original breeders dogs wouldn't mate together.
Because of the time of year, not a lot of people wanted to get a puppy and they were really healthy and sweet when we saw them.
We called ours Lupo because it means 'Little Wolf' But I'm not sure in which language because my dad didn't say.
Lupo has had his first lot of jabs, he had a bit of a delayed reaction though, because it was only after the niddle had come in and out that he started whining.
Lupo isn't going to be very happy over christmas because he is due in on christmas eve for his second lot of jabs and he is getting micro-chipped. He is allowed out in the garden, but he gets very scared, it took him a long time to come outside because he was to scared in the first place anyway LOL!! He won't ajust to the lead and he is potty trained, however, he only goes where he should if we are with him or up.
If you have ny tips for how to train him better than it would be really great because now he is finding his feet he is becoming quite ....... cheeky, for our liking.
Thanks in advance and I'll post piccies soon!!
xxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Hello Earthling

CONGRATS

On the new puppy.

He is still just a baby so give him some time to settle in and check everything out, get him in some puppy classes so he can be socialized etc...

Are you crate training him?

Post pictures or I will be forced to you. : )

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

Congarts on the Puppy I so can't wait for pictures I am so so so happy for you

definatly start with some socialization at a young age, but at the same time gotta be careful taking a pup out till after all their shots so they don't get and horrid germs or anything...to get our Puppies used to their harness's we let them walk around in them for awhile, couple hours everyday, we also would attatch the leash and let them just drag it (lol my puppies walked each other for hours everyday lol) Puppies are just so much fun so exciting Remember to always be consistent...always lol...once you use one word for a command stick with it and if something is a no no never ever let them get away with it, even when you get those adorable puppies eyes lol, if you cave just one time they will drive you nuts lol. My puppies were so easy to train really because they copied my older dogs, so I guess I kinda cheated lol...mine also crate trained so easily...it was great at how well they took to their crates, they love to go in them...Ohhhh yeah...invest in a Kong lol they are truely life savers with teething Puppies lol, mine have the regular Kong, the frisbee Kong, the teether Kong and the Kong ball lol...put a cookie in the Kong and Puppie will be busy for hours lol

Best advice I got was to always remain calm and enjoy all of it, even the times they destroy something you love lol because like kids they grow up to fast

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Congrats again on the new pup! Carie gave good advice on training. Be consistent and remember that he's a puppy so he might make mistakes sometimes. Socialization is very important for a GSD, so try to give him as many experiences as possible.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks everyone!!
We will be taking him to puppy classes and puppy parties once he has had his second lot of jabs, I can't wait to get him out walking!
We did take him to a home where their two dogs are fully vacsinated, however, Lupo got really scared and the little jack russle started nipping at Lupo, so that wasn't a very good start! He is fine with people, he absolutly loves everyone he meets!
He is very excitable and that when he gets nippy with us, so we give him a small smack on the nose and say 'NO' so he knows he is hurting us.
He is quite good with his teething. when we first got him he was chewing everything and anything he could find, but now he only chews his toys.
I don't know why, but Lupo tends to use his bed as a toilet rather than a bed and he sleeps either on or at the bottom of the stairs, but I don't know why.
Thanks for the advice!!
Pics soon
xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 02:54 PM
RAT ADDICT

Congrats on the puppers!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Betta Bomb

congrats and gosh bless you for having the patience to raise a well behaved dog.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Congrats! Can't wait to see Lupo!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:19 AM
Adolescent Pup

I thought there would be pics.

It sounds like Lupo can be a good dog, his breeder just might not have socialized him much or he is a little shy. After he gets the shots I think the puppy classes will help him and you a lot. Because he will be getting training/socialization and you will be learning how to train him.

If he uses the bed as a toilet I'd remove it. Is it at night that he does this? You might want to try crate training. You said he sleeps at the bottom of the stares though and doesn't otherwise get in trouble. He might need to be taken out late at night or once in the middle of the night. The bed having been used can be hard to clean properly so it can encourage him to go there again.

Check Them Out

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 12:59 PM

aww i love that name my friends husky/GSD was named that but she died of cancer unfortunatly not to long ago
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks everyone!!!
We've been doing our best and he is getting better, it's just the toilet training that needs more help! Thanks for the advice!
I have some pics, this is about the 3rd or 4th day we had him, he has grown since and was as light as a bag of sugar and now 6kg!
Here he is (More updated ones soon!)........

When we had the box there he loved squishing in there!

Hope they're okay, he is such a beautiful boy!!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

OMG!!!! He is beautiful OHHHHHH look at that sweet little one, truely so so so cute

On a side note when we were potty training we took the little monsters out every hour for the first few weeks lol...I also took them out twice a night, they wore me out, but after 4 weeks never one accident, so it worked lol....we did it that way because we were worried that if they had an accident then my jealous Lady would go there lol so we were crazy with potty training lol...good luck

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aw sooo cute.

when i potty trained my friends dog over the weekend i took him out everytime he sniffed, sometimes he would go right away sometimes he just wanted to go back inside, so we went in side and he'd start sniffing and i took him back out, he never had an accident with me, and when he went home never had one, he would go to the door and wait and now he will whine if he has to go..

IT WORE ME OUT too.. hehe but it worked. everyone looked at me like i was crazy though

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks
We are beginning to take him outside if he is sniffing around, the only problem is that he is shy, so I have to give him a lot of encouragment if one of the dogs up the road start barking at him.
He is getting better everyday though!
He tends to pee where he is suppose to, but he just poo's where he wants, so thats the main thing.
Thanks again everyone!
xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Tags
puppy