I MUST stay awake - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Lightbulb I MUST stay awake

Does anyone else have a dog that will not lay down and take a nap unless he/she is locked in their crate? Riley absolutely refuses to lay down and take a nap. She will literally keep walking around, eyes all droopy and sleepy looking, play with a toy, torment the cat (in slow motion cause she's so tired), anything to stay awake. OR, she will get a sudden burst of energy and run around the house like a maniac. I KNOW she's tired but she will NOT take a nap unless I put her in her crate.

She has not taken a nap uncrated since the second week I've had her. It's like she's afraid she's going to miss out on something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 05:57 AM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Sounds just like Blackie - I swear I wake up in the middle of the night and hear him wandering around sometimes. If no one will pay attention to him, he just wanders around, always with a toy in his mouth. I would love to know how many miles he's walked in his life. He's almost 11 years old now - I figured he would've stopped by now.
He's also the first one up, he's usually right there by my bed looking at me when I get up in the mornings.

Sharon
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 06:38 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Nope I have th eopposite problem, a dog that won't stay awake!!! The effort involved from her getting out of the crate and eating breakfast causes her to totally crash out on the back seat of my for the half hour it takes me to drive to my p's house every morning and then she struggles to get out of the car, walks into my mum's place and crashes on her floor and snores her head off....she has a really hard life!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 06:44 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

lol carmen!!!!!!!!!!

scarlette - hmm...you know what this sounds like? a human baby! right?! i remember when my Godson, Juanito, was about 1-1.5 yrs old, he would force himself to stay awake and would have little crying fits cause he was so tired but wouldn't go to sleep. my Nan had to rock him and force him to sleep. maybe she is just going through a stage.

do you leave her out of the crate when you aren't home or at night? if you do, she'll eventually fall asleep. but if you crate her for certain times every day, i wouldn't worry about it. she may just be extra curious!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 08:33 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
Nope I have th eopposite problem, a dog that won't stay awake!!! The effort involved from her getting out of the crate and eating breakfast causes her to totally crash out on the back seat of my for the half hour it takes me to drive to my p's house every morning and then she struggles to get out of the car, walks into my mum's place and crashes on her floor and snores her head off....she has a really hard life!!!
Me too!! Tito and Snooper are incredibly LAZY!!!!!

~ Jodi ~

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
do you leave her out of the crate when you aren't home or at night?
Oh heck no! She would probably destroy everything that she could get ahold of! She stays in the Great Dane size crate or in the outdoor kennel (weather permitting) while I'm at work. At night she stays in the medium size plastic crate in my room.

Rhonda

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Newborn Pup

I have the same problem with my 5 month old pup. He will not go asleep when he is outside his crate. Sometimes he gets so onrie (sp?) from being tired that I have to put him in the crate just so he will settle down. As soon as he is in the crate...BAM....snoring fat dog. I am hoping it is just something while he is young.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Riley is 5 months also! Maybe it's a puppy thing but I've never had any other puppy do this before. All of the other dogs I raised never did this. Hmmm...

Rhonda