I need to brag a little - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 12:54 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Scarlette I'm sooooo happy for you and Riley!!! I was wondering how things were going and was going to ask when I got back online again. She is a doll....you are doing great with her!!! You should be very proud of yourself for what you are doing...a lot of people wouldn't have the patience.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 05:59 PM

Scarlette, your love and patience has certainly paid off with sweet little Riley. You must be so proud of her accomplishments with the training. I am thrilled for both of you! She is a beautiful little lady.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Du mb question time (as I am sure that youhave put it somewhere,) what kind of dog is he>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 06:32 PM

She is a Bull Terrier...a beautiful one
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Yep, she is a 3 month old deaf Bull Terrier. I discovered she was deaf 2 hours after I had her and I didn't want to return her to the breeder. I'm learning alot as I go.

I never knew how much I took a hearing dog for granted. If you noticed in the pics I have a bell attached to her collar so that if I can't see her at least I can hear where she's at since I can't just call her over to me. Deaf dogs are NOT for lazy people! If she's feeling mischevious and getting into alot of stuff, I'm constantly jumping up to get her out of trouble. I can't just sit there and yell "NO". I think I've lost 10 pounds in the 2 months I've had her. No sitting around for me while Riley is awake! I've also learned how important facial expressions are to her. I exaggerrate "yes" and "no" so much that I catch myself doing it with my hearing dog and she thinks I'm crazy now. Riley also watches for hand signals. When we're around people that talk with their hands alot, Riley will get a confused look on her face. She bites harder and more often than any hearing puppy that I've ever had. She also sleeps more than any dog that I've owned. I think that's because she doesn't have the auditory stimulation that a hearing dog has.

What I have noticed is that Riley doesn't entertain herself. She wants my full attention at ALL times and if I ignore her she will bark at me until she's blue in the face or until my ears are ringing, whatever comes first. I'm attributing that to her breed. Bull Terriers are smart dogs and need alot of interaction.

There are pro's and cons to the whole situation but I wouldn't have it any other way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 05:00 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Riley needs to come teach my Seamus to pay more attention to my face and hands!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Riley can be pretty good at ignoring me. When we go to bed at night she will totally ignore me when I'm pointing at her crate for her to go to bed.

Rhonda

post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 06:02 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Kind of reminds me of young children who believe, "if I don't see you, you don't see me and I don't have to listen to you!"

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:25 AM

How funny! I'm glad you didn't her back to the breeder, and though it is a lot of works, it sounds like the both of you are happy. Who could ask for more?

Tags
bull terrier, bull terriers, obedience training, sit still