I need help!:(! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

I need help!:(!

I live in a very small town in Newfoundland, the crime rate in my town is VERY low. A 21 year old boy that i have known since he was a kid killed his stepmother today, he shot her while she was in bed. He shot himself too but he wasnt killed. Her 11 year old son and 3 year old dog would have been killed by him too if her son didnt grab the dog and run into his room and lock the door. The police found her son and dog in the closet shaking , they had been in there for over 4 hours. I know these people personally and her husband wants me to take the dog in and find it a new home. I do not want to take the dog away from the little boy but the father feels that they cannot care for it anymore considering the circumstances. I dont know what to do, if i do not take the dog they may just give it to a home that wont take proper care of it. On the other hand i will feel terrible for taking the dog from the little boy, especially since he just witnessed his mothers murder! what do i do?! what do you guys think would be best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 06:04 PM

That is a very difficult situation I also would not want to take the dog from the child but if the father is insisting on getting rid of it maybe you could keep it for a while and then when things settle down in a couple of weeks ask him if he would like to let the boy have the dog back then if he still says no do what you have to for the animal. I think he may reconsider this once he has had time to think it through.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 PM

Oh, Jessica, First of all, Let me say I am so sorry to hear of this terrible loss. This must be hard for you. Jessica, I guess if I were you, and I were able to take the dog and wanted it, I think I would and only for one reason. Because, right now, the family is in shock. You can take the dog and let the little boy know (on the side) that you will keep the dog for him until they are ready to take the dog back, whereas if the father finds the dog a home with a stranger, they may never see the dog again. You can help them this way. That poor man is going through a terrible time right now and he isn't thinking straight. Or, if you know him really well, you could tell him how much the dog means to the little boy, he may not have even thought of it, being so distraught over losing his wife. Again, I am so sorry to hear of your and their loss. This is a terrible thing to go through. I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i say take the dog, at least its with someone the family knows. that way they can come visit. also then you can rehab the dog that have it go to a home you trust

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice!! Very helpful!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Or else you could just take it for now. Maybe they are feeling overwhelmed and can't make a for sure decision. You could hang on to him for a while and see if they can have him back when they're ready. Good luck!

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Wow thats a tough, Maybe you could talk to the father, about maybe keeping the dog a little longer, and then you will take it awhile. After what the little boy has been through, the dog will help comfort him a little. If the father really doesnt want the dog, maybe you could take it like others have suggested.. or maybe you could ask other people that you and the boy know if they could keep it awhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

I took the dog in a week ago almost and he seems to be depressed. I told the little boy that i would keep him until his father had a chance to clear his head and Really make up his mind. He was soo Happy when i told him that Anyway. Prancer(the dog) gets so happy and excited when the boy comes to visit.Which by the way is almost everyday! but when he leaves he goes back into his kennel and lies down And its almost as if he has no will to live anymore. Anyway.thanks to eveybody who posted! Ill keep everyone updated!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:55 PM

At least Prancer has a good, safe home for the time being. After he gets used to his new home he may become happier. The world needs more people like you who are willing to help others!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Will It Ever Change?

awww poor pup. make sure to give him lots of hugs from me!! maybe an extra treat or two might cheer him up?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I will! Trust me, hes getting LOTS of treats! He'll Get sick with any more!! lol
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:07 PM

Even if you do need to place the dog at some point. You could even make it a provision of his adoption that the boy gets to have visitation with the dog. I know it sounds odd but it may work. The family is lucky to have you to help.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice and the compliment! I will do my very best to (if need be) find a family willing to do this. Shouldnt be to hard to do, I have done it in the past and its worked out great
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am just curious when this incident happened.I live in Newfoundland as well and have not hear anything about this incident.There was nothing on the news or in the paper and surely someone would hear something about it.Newfoundland is not that big of a place and the crime rate is not very high,so when something that big happens (murder) it is all over the news.

If this indeed happened,then I am truly sorry and hope that the dog and the family will be okay.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

something that dramatic surely would make the newspaper at least, I agree.
How long ago did this happen?
How is the dog doing so far?
Closed Thread