I need help with abandoned puppy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

I need help with abandoned puppy

My momma dog stopped feeding her pups at 3 weeks old. I have been feeding the litter for 3 days now and they have been doing fine until today. 1 of the 3 pups won't go poop. I have tried to wipe his rear with a warm, damp rag to stimulate him, but nothing happens. I know he needs to go because I see him squat and strain. What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:12 AM

Hi DragonLady71

I can completely understand your situation and I been through from this position recently. And, it is very difficult to see your dog in such condition.
According to me, go to the vet so that he can advise you appropriately. Because recently I have lost my dog due to certain health issues and then after a while I went to britishgritjackrussellterriers.com to buy a new pup so that we feel can stop missing him.

There I found a person whose dog was not well, so he updated me that he took his dog to the vet and after proper medication his dog was perfectly fine. But he updated me to take care about some of the symptoms like:

Excessive drinking or urination
Dry or itchy skin, sores, lumps, or shaking of the head
Coughing, sneezing, excessive panting, or labored breathing
Bad breath or drooling
Appetite change associated with weight loss or gain
Frequent digestive upsets

So these were the things which he said and if such happens to your dog then you must take your dog to vet.

And don't worry your dog will get perfectly fine

All the best and take care of your dog
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:34 AM
Newborn Pup

Hi DragonLady71, i can feel your situation here is some information about how to handle abandoned puppy, hopes this helps!

Commercially puppy formula is the ideal option to feed as it is specifically formulated to meet all of a puppy's nutritional requirements until they are about 3 to 4 weeks of age. After this puppies are ready to start eating moistened solid food. Cow's milk is not suitable as it can result in diarrhoea and subsequently dehydration of the puppy.

Bottle feeding is generally the easiest and most successful form of feeding, but if you are having difficulty with this please speak to your veterinarian or veterinary nurse about alternative techniques.

For the first 2 to 3 weeks of their lives, puppies will need help to urinate and defaecate. Normally the mother does this by licking their genital region. To simulate this action, after every feed rub a cotton wool ball or tissue moistened with warm water over the genitals and anus of the puppies. If this procedure is not followed, the puppy may become constipated.

SHOULD MY PUPPY BE TREATED FOR WORMS?
We routinely treat puppies for worms from 2-3 weeks of age. Weekly or fortnightly worming should be carried out until the first vaccinations at 6-8 weeks. It is then worth consulting your veterinarian regarding future worming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:19 AM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhandsonn View Post
Hi DragonLady71

I can completely understand your situation and I been through from this position recently. And, it is very difficult to see your dog in such condition.
According to me, go to the vet so that he can advise you appropriately. Because recently I have lost my dog due to certain health issues and then after a while I went to britishgritjackrussellterriers.com to buy a new pup so that we feel can stop missing him.

There I found a person whose dog was not well, so he updated me that he took his dog to the vet and after proper medication his dog was perfectly fine. But he updated me to take care about some of the symptoms like:

Excessive drinking or urination
Dry or itchy skin, sores, lumps, or shaking of the head
Coughing, sneezing, excessive panting, or labored breathing
Bad breath or drooling
Appetite change associated with weight loss or gain
Frequent digestive upsets

So these were the things which he said and if such happens to your dog then you must take your dog to vet.

And don't worry your dog will get perfectly fine

All the best and take care of your dog
My friend had the same situation, I have read this answer first and told him about what was shared here. I hope it will turn out well. Thanks!