I need help.......Biscuit has milk! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I need help.......Biscuit has milk!

When I came back from Vanuatu I noticed that Biscuit had milk in her teats but nothing was coming out and she hasn't been near any dogs (that I'm aware of....or on heat) since I've had her so I didn't think anything of it. Today I squeezed one lightly cause they looked fuller and milk came oozing out of it. Do dogs only get milk when they are pregnant or do they get milk for other reasons as well? I'm curious cause I'm not a breeder, have no idea what to do if she is and want to know if she is. She is heavier and fatter than what she was but not heaps and she has just stayed with my parents for two weeks who feed her more than I do. I was looking at her tonight while she was eating and she is really full looking around the ribs but skinnier as you go back towards to her back legs where that part used to be just as wide. Help guys!!! If she is pregnant how long before I can expect puppies and what do I do with them!!lol I'm totally clueless!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 07:34 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Well that's REALLY weird. Sorry I don't know what to tell you. (Bet Jade would know though. )

The only thing I can *think* of is that ... I don't remember what it's called... but its not that the dog is actually pregnant, but she just starts producing milk... I wanna say that it's called a false pregnancy but I'm not sure if I'm confusing it with something else.

What's strikes me funny, I thought you rescued her. And everywhere I know of, any rescues or adoptable pets are fixed before they're placed. Or did I miss something and you didn't adopt Biscuit and bought her somewhere else??

Either way, I hope you find out whats going on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:57 AM

If she was in heat and did not get pregnant some dogs will go through the actual stages of pregnancy anyway. Its called a Hysterical Pregnancy. If this is the case, expect her to go through actual labor stages and signs and she will most likely pick something to be her "baby" and tend to it for a while. This will pass, its just something they have to work through.

I don't know what the regulation are in Australia, but most animals are spayed before they are adopted out here in Georgia and most other states. If she isn't spayed it is possible she is preg. Try to gently place your hand on her tummy and see if you feel anything. If she is preg and is dropping her milk you can expect puppies in the next week or so.

If you want to be sure you can also take her to the vet for an xray or ultrasound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My mother had a Schnauzer that went through a false pregnancy. She made milk, went into labor, the whole nine yards. I hope Biscuit is just experiencing the same thing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanx guys! Hopefully it's just false. Dogs do get spayed here but because we don't know where she comes from and she does have a scar they didn't want to operate incase she already was. Only cause of my feelings towards breeding is why I could bring her home and I've been keeping a close on her since!

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Pseudopregnancy

Turner and Gomez, in their 1934 work on the mammary gland of the dog described a condition called "complete pseudopregnancy." In the dog this condition extends for a period comparable to normal pregnancy and the development of the mammary gland includes the growth phase during the first half and the gradual initiation of lactation during the second half of the false pregnancy. Therefore, normal secretory activity is not dependent either upon the fetus or fetal membranes. The uterus is apparently not necessary either, as a hysterectomized female was given hormones and began the glandular growth phase.

Pseudopregnancy can be very helpful to the breeder who needs a foster mother to nurse orphaned, abandoned, or extra puppies. On the other hand, the home owner with a single, female dog who is not allowed to mate during estrus will frequently have to contend with unwanted milk dripping. Veterinarians can administer bromocriptine to "dry up" the milk. Behaviorists note nesting behavior and even straining movements which simulate parturition about nine weeks after estrus. The dog owner is counseled to discourage nesting behavior, not to let the dog "nurse" any rolled-up socks she has stolen, and provide interesting outside activities.

source:
http://classes.aces.uiuc.edu/AnSci308/dogcatlact.html

I found that information, I don't know how useful it will be to you. Wow, poor biscuit Are you going to have a vet check her out to determine if she's really pregnant or having an episode of false pregnancy?

Another thing to consider might be a Pituitary problem. The pituatary gland is responsible for the hormone that causes lactation. A look at her hormone levels in general may be in order.

You mentioned that she has a belly scar that most likely indicates she's been spayed?

It would be nice to have a friend who had an ultrasound machine to scan her belly and find out what's in there and what's not!

I hope you are able to get to the root of it all, I'm sure it's frustrating and confusing and I know you are concerned about Biscuit.

Hang in there and keep us posted! Give biscuit a smoochie for me.

[center]

[
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:24 PM

How long have you had her? Gestation period is usually 63 days in dogs. If you haven't had her that long, she could be pregnant and you may not even know it.
I also have a female that had a "false pregnancy" with her first heat cycle. She gained weight, produced milk, went through "labor" and all of that. We were so scared our beautiful pitbull locked up with something, but she never had puppies. Her next few heat cycles it didn't happen. When we actually did breed her, we were kind of worried that it would be the false thing again as everything symptom wise was the same as the false pregnancy, but she delivered 13 puppies that time.
Hopefully it is false, but if it isn't, don't freak out! We're here to help! You may want to make a whelping box for her just in case and get everything ready. You don't want any unexpected surprises on your bed or couch! LOL! Keep us posted and let me know if you have any questions or need anything. I'm here!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:04 PM

Yeah, I would take her to the vet anyway just to be on the safe side.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Miss New Booty

Carmen, I hope everything is ok with Biscuit. Everyone gave such great, helpful advice. I would take her to the vet for a check-up, just to be on the safe side. Let us know how she is doing, girl! We are all here for you!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanx guys! I'll be talking to the vet I work for about her on Tuesday and if we are quiet he might do an ultra sound for free! If she is pregnant she would have mated just before I got her which would explain why she was picked up running around the streets. If she is pregnant she will be getting spayed as soon as the puppies are weaned, I don't want this to happen again! Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it all goes....in the meantime I'm keeping a very close on her. I'll keep you all updated and will be calling for all your help if she does have puppies!

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 02:54 AM

Good luck, I'll be thinking about you and your dog.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 09:48 AM

we'll be thinking of you, please keep us posted.

Also, I thought of something i thought i'd share. You said she had what appeared to be a scar so they assumed she was spayed. I wonder if it isn't possible that she was bred before and her pups were delivered via c-section. That would account for a scar and her not being spayed. If so, that would be something else for you to keep in mind and discuss with your vet.

I'm hoping its just a false preg thing for you.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh wow! I hope everything is ok with Biscuit!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 10:48 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

please keep us updated on Bisquickers!

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I hope she is having a false one, and I hope that she does ok with it. keep us updated!

Tags
adoptable pets, boston terrier, bull terrier, bull terriers, bully breeds, gestation period, heat cycle, pit bull, pit bull terrier, pure bred, staffordshire bull terrier