I need help with a traumatized puppy... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I need help with a traumatized puppy...

I have a female, spayed, 10-month-old Cocker Spaniel puppy. Although always cautious, she was never that bad with other dogs. She was very well socialized. Anyway, when she was 5 or 6 months old (I can't remember exactly at the moment) my brother went out to feed the dogs in the morning. He opened the kennel door and Sophie was so excited about the food that she ran out to greet him. At this moment, our neighbor's large Akita/Rottweiler mix ran into our yard. The dog is a guard dog that is always getting loose and the owners are extremely irresponsible. My brother didn't know it was out and the dog ran over and started to chase my poor puppy and it knocked her over and everything...Our neighbors called their dog back in but didn't even say anything to us . Sophie suffered no injuries but since then she is completely terrified of big dogs. She's suspicious of small ones and will bark but once the two dogs sniff she's ok. Today, I was giving her a walk (trying to get her to walk better on a leash since she's a tugger) and towards the end we came across a big labrador--who was loose. Our other stupid neighbors not only were letting their kids play in the street but were paying no attention to their dog--who was running through other people's yards and digging holes. The dog saw us and since Toby (the dog's name) knows me since he's always getting loose, he came over to us. Sophie began to yelp and bark but the dog came over and sniffed her. She literally SCREAMED. I had to pick her up and finally the dog's owner called Toby over (they said nothing also). It took me several minutes to calm Sophie down. I just don't know what to do...I don't want to take her anywhere anymore in case there's a large dog. Please help .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:39 PM

My suggestion is get her enrolled in a doggie day care or a socialization class. The sooner she becomes better socialized with bigger dog's and other dog's the quicker she may get over this fear. It is hard to say if she will grow out of it on her own, with her only being 10 months and showing this fear for about 4-5 months this far, she may not. If you don't want to or you don't have a doggie day care in your area, and you don't want to enroll her in a socialization class, the lesser of an obedience class, than I would look in your phone book and find trainers that specialize in behavioral type issues and explain to them what is going on with Sophie, and maybe they can suggest what to do. They might even offer 1 on 1 classes with you and Sophie, which would help you become more knowledgeable in helping Sophie through this as well
I wish you the best of luck!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWife97
My suggestion is get her enrolled in a doggie day care or a socialization class. The sooner she becomes better socialized with bigger dog's and other dog's the quicker she may get over this fear. It is hard to say if she will grow out of it on her own, with her only being 10 months and showing this fear for about 4-5 months this far, she may not. If you don't want to or you don't have a doggie day care in your area, and you don't want to enroll her in a socialization class, the lesser of an obedience class, than I would look in your phone book and find trainers that specialize in behavioral type issues and explain to them what is going on with Sophie, and maybe they can suggest what to do. They might even offer 1 on 1 classes with you and Sophie, which would help you become more knowledgeable in helping Sophie through this as well
I wish you the best of luck!
Thanks...I'll look for trainers...we don't have socialization classes or doggy daycare around here.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 06:19 PM

Your welcome, hope all goes well for both and you Sophie, as I know how hard this can be.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 01:25 PM

I would use Flower Remedies to release the shock and fear from her system. If the Bach ones are available where you are, start with Star of Bethlehem, Rock Rose and Mimulus. Doseage is 3 or 4 drops 4 times daily. Give on a piece of bread or similar and make out it's a big treat. They can also go in food and water. Completely safe, even if the wrong remedy is chosen it will simply bounce off the system harmlessly.

An excellent book on the subject is Dogs Misbehaving by Martin J Scott and Gael Mariani. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...173727-2640129

You'll be amazed at the results!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel
I would use Flower Remedies to release the shock and fear from her system. If the Bach ones are available where you are, start with Star of Bethlehem, Rock Rose and Mimulus. Doseage is 3 or 4 drops 4 times daily. Give on a piece of bread or similar and make out it's a big treat. They can also go in food and water. Completely safe, even if the wrong remedy is chosen it will simply bounce off the system harmlessly.

An excellent book on the subject is Dogs Misbehaving by Martin J Scott and Gael Mariani. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...173727-2640129

You'll be amazed at the results!
I'll have to try that too .

~Stephanie

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 05:00 PM

Bach Flower Essences-. The one for terror is Rock Rose. The one for traumatiziation Star of Bethlehem. There are others that may work(38 in total). If using more thn one then alternate. 5 drops on the tongue or some moist food as needed- even every five minutes because they're non-toxic. ( Also 10 drops in the water bowl) yOu cna get them at health food stores.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 12:37 AM

My sheltie was killed by a rottie in obedience. (no offence to rottie lovers) I am somewhat afraid of larger dogs myself, but my little poodle thinks she is so huge and has gotten in a few fights. She is just the opposite or Toby, maybe we can trade a little fear for a little courage. lol I hope you and Toby find a cure! good luck!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

this actually happened to my dog, chaquita. she is a chihuahua/schipperke mix (weighs about 13 lbs) and twice a big dog has accidently gotten loose and run towards her to play. it really scared her and she screamed too. she is great w/small dogs still, but will really bark at bigger ones. but after a few hours she gets used to them.

sasami- it says in your profile that you live an hour from NYC. there HAS to be puppy classes there!! you need to do that for your pup. my yorkie was in puppy class w/two big puppies/dogs and she is never afraid. i know in NYC they also have doggy workout facilities and dog trainers galore.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 10:48 AM

There's no need to alternate Bach remedies if using more than one - they can safely be mixed together. Up to six is considered OK at a time, though rarely needed. No need for any more than 3 or 4 drops at a time. As mentioned, Star for trauma, Rock Rose for terror, and the Mimulus is for all known fears which was why I mentioned it too.

There's a remedy chooser here
http://www.bachessences.com/usremedychooser.html
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
this actually happened to my dog, chaquita. she is a chihuahua/schipperke mix (weighs about 13 lbs) and twice a big dog has accidently gotten loose and run towards her to play. it really scared her and she screamed too. she is great w/small dogs still, but will really bark at bigger ones. but after a few hours she gets used to them.

sasami- it says in your profile that you live an hour from NYC. there HAS to be puppy classes there!! you need to do that for your pup. my yorkie was in puppy class w/two big puppies/dogs and she is never afraid. i know in NYC they also have doggy workout facilities and dog trainers galore.
Yeah, but I rely on my parents for rides and they don't like going down to NYC. We were once supposed to adopt a dog there but they said no because it's too hard to drive in the city . That's why I'm trying to find classes around here. Does Petco have anything like that? We have a Petco about 20 minutes away..

~Stephanie

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 03:01 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

a lot of petco's do. ck it out!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
a lot of petco's do. ck it out!
Ok, I was supposed to go to PetCo today but couldn't get a ride so I'll try and go Monday .

~Stephanie

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 12:20 PM

Your poor puppy....

Hello,

I am in the process of socializing my dog. I am a little late in the socialization of my dog being around other dogs. I have a 1 year old dashchund. Although she is comfortable with my parents dogs and cousins dogs. She is not comfortable with any other kinds of dogs. I am trying to do things that are inexpensive and easy to do first, and see how it works. I am taking April (my doxie) to the park every chance I have. Most of the times they have some dogs there. A lot of times, I sit there and just April look around and sniff the air and just observe everyone else.

The other thing I do is I take my dog to a dog park. They are usually free and you tons of dogs go with their owners. Basically, a dog park allows you to take your dog off its leash and run around with other dogs. But, because April is not use to other dogs, I keep her on the outside of the dog park pens that they have fenced in, but in view of all the other dogs. Slowly we walk up to the area where the dogs are. I will allow her go to into the actual dog pen. But, that is not until she stops being so scared.

Maybe that would help. I know it is hard to socialize the dog after an experience you have had with yours. I had one simialiar, which is why it is so hard. I wish you luck with it. Let us know how well your dog does.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilsMom
Hello,

I am in the process of socializing my dog. I am a little late in the socialization of my dog being around other dogs. I have a 1 year old dashchund. Although she is comfortable with my parents dogs and cousins dogs. She is not comfortable with any other kinds of dogs. I am trying to do things that are inexpensive and easy to do first, and see how it works. I am taking April (my doxie) to the park every chance I have. Most of the times they have some dogs there. A lot of times, I sit there and just April look around and sniff the air and just observe everyone else.

The other thing I do is I take my dog to a dog park. They are usually free and you tons of dogs go with their owners. Basically, a dog park allows you to take your dog off its leash and run around with other dogs. But, because April is not use to other dogs, I keep her on the outside of the dog park pens that they have fenced in, but in view of all the other dogs. Slowly we walk up to the area where the dogs are. I will allow her go to into the actual dog pen. But, that is not until she stops being so scared.

Maybe that would help. I know it is hard to socialize the dog after an experience you have had with yours. I had one simialiar, which is why it is so hard. I wish you luck with it. Let us know how well your dog does.
Yeah, I've been bringing her to petstores and giving her alot of walks. We have no dog parks whatsoever here . I really, really want to go to one though.

~Stephanie

Tags
cocker spaniel, dog park, health food store, pet store, pet stores, water bowl