I Need Your Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Post I Need Your Help!

As some of you know I have been agonizing over adding a new pet to my crew. I'd seriously considered a new bird. For years and years I've wanted a small breed puppy. After researching, agonizing and researching some more the decision to put a new bird on the back burner was a painful one. I decided to look for a small puppy. Jack is getting old. Max is trained and finished in the field- they are both wonderful and I love them, love them... but I have always longed for a small breed dog to train, love, pamper, spoil - kind of like the last baby I never got to have- as corny as that sounds. I've wanted this so badly for so long and now the time is right! I am so excited.

I narrowed the breeds down to Chihuahua, Maltese and Yorkshire Terrier. My gosh! The breeder information on-line is sometimes so shady it seems criminal.
After lengthy discussions with my DH, looking at temperments and what would fit into our group the best we decided to look for a Yorkie pup.
(burrito you will still be my one and only Burrito BF! )

So far I have contacted a list of breeders that looked reputable. I've recieved a few replies. Here are my questions and the things that just don't feel right! I really need some help here you guys!

1. How can I leave a deposit on a puppy I have never seen? The breeder claims pictures will be sent to keep me updated etc. Then the puppy will be shipped to me! This isn't sitting right! Has anyone ever shipped a puppy or purchased a puppy through a breeder - and had their new puppy shipped to them sight unseen?

2. Regarding Yorkshire Terriers - It seems that a lot of people are importing them from Ireland. They are claiming they have been overbred in this country and by bringing them from Ireland where the breeding requirements are strictly monitored, they have better temperments and are generally better bred. Huh? Has anyone heard of this practice? What do you think of this?

3. I am fully aware that people mark the prices of their pups up SO high just by using the words "extra tiny" "extra mini" "tea-cup" - come on - just from what we have all learned on these boards - there is no such thing and this is misleading! I am not size obsessed! I want a dog that is healthy, has a good coat and a pretty face. Am I asking too much here?

4. With all the confusing information that I've been bombarded with - I'm just plain confused! It's become so clear to me that this breed is in such high demand for some reason that people will make outrageous claims about their dogs. When I email them asking the right questions and politely and tactfully dispute their claims, backing my words up with facts, I get email responses that say, "Sorry we have no pups available at this time". Well! These are people I obviously don't want to deal with anyway!

5. I have not been able to find any breeders in my area. New Jersey!??? Am I looking in the wrong places? I contacted the president of the largest Yorkshire Terrier Club in the state and basically got a form letter standard reply!?? I thought at least she could name some breeders in my area!

6. Help! Am I going about this all wrong? It seems as soon as I open my mouth and sound like I even almost know what I might be talking about, I get blown off! Why should I play stupid? I am not. If there is one thing I know for certain - I know about dogs- I may not know everything I need to know about this breed - but sheesh!! What am I doing wrong here!?? It's either a total blow off response, or it's - send me your $XXX dollar deposit and I will hold a pup for you ....etc. This just goes against everything I know about selecting a puppy.

7. Thanks for listening to my rant! Help! How have you guys gone about finding the right breeder - have you ever had a puppy shipped to you? Would you have a puppy shipped to you? Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way.

8. I am so excited and anxious now. I have agonized, like I mentioned, about this for months. I know this is the right decision for me. I can train a dog, devote the time to a puppy - and I know that dogs and puppies are forgiving and will understand my bad days! This just feels right to me.

I know a lot of you are going to ask me why haven't I gone to the shelter or contacted a rescue organization. I will tell you. I am bringing this new addition into my family under special circumstances. My existing pets are very important to me. I have health considerations of my own which limit my ability (and desire) to deal with meshing an older animal into an already well established pack. It may sound totally selfish of me -but I carefully researched and selected a breed that I really want.

OK - end of rant. I am just frustrated - and wish someone could help point me in the right direction! What am I doing wrong!?
Feel free to openly voice your opinions, give me advice, tell me where to go (ok that could be a loaded statement )

Or - maybe one of you have access to a breeder and the solution is easier than I think?

I know a few of you have recently gotten new young pups - where did you get them from? How did you go about the selection process?

Thanks!!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Linda,

Speaking as a breeder of another species, I can tell you I WELCOME questions. If someone doesn't question me on specifics, I'm very skeptical and give them the 3rd degree questioning before I even think about giving them a kit. I do like to take deposits on my kits if they're young and not yet weaned, and will provide the buyer with photos of the kit and parents, pedigree, detailed temperament information, even pictures of my cages so that they can see they're loved and well cared for. I'm also always open to visits from people who may just be interested. I am not in this to make money, I'm in it because I love it and want to improve the species.

Additionally, shipping is common in chins, though sometimes debated.

I know the dog world is quite different and a ton of people ARE in it for the money. I don't envy you the job of weeding through. All I can advise you to do is go with your instincts. I'd be comfortable having a chin shipped to me, mostly because I deal with only those breeders I know are reputable. I don't think I would ship a puppy, I'd want to pick out my own.

Best of luck! I'm going to do some searching tomorrow for NJ breeders for you, put some feelers out. My future MIL just bought one so maybe her breeder can direct me somewhere.

Stephanie

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

oh Jade! Thank you so, so much
I thought it was odd that people didn't want to take the time to answer my questions...
I would think that they would want to ask ME a lot of questions too, before just saying - hey send me a deposit

You made me feel tons better about this process!

[center]

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 11:05 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
Would you have a puppy shipped to you?
A chinchilla, yes I would. A puppy? Probably not. I'm a firm believer in letting the puppy/dog choose the owner.

Have you tried posting an ad at petfinder.org ? Maybe you can find a breeder closer to you.

Rhonda

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 11:27 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I have had a puppy shipped to me before.... it is quite common. The puppy was a gift for my god mother who had lost her schnauzer of 14 years. (a well discussed gift mind you). I had seen pups from this breeder before, and she provided me with a list of references....... including her vet. So i was comfortable with sight unseen. Kiara is a wonderful dog and my god mother loves her.

I have heard this recently about the yorkies. I would not be surprised if it is true. Ireland does have strict breeding regulations. If only the US would have the same.

Finding a reputable breeder will be hard. I'll do some looking around and see what I can find to help.

I agree with everyone else though........ TRUST your gut.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 05:12 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

As someone who has only ever had rescue dogs I'm totally clueless when it comes to all of this. However the only advice that I can give you is the same advice that you have so kindly given me these last few weeks....go with your gut instinct. If it doesn't feel right and no matter how hard it is to wait for your new puppy you should if you aren't comfortable with what you're dealing with right now. It will be worth in the long run and you are a fantastic dog owner and know your stuff so don't go against it to satisfy the breeders!! Good luck Linda!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 07:36 AM
Adolescent Pup

Don't "settle" just to have a pup- when the time and circumstances are right, you and your new puppy will find each other. Much like adopting a child, you may have to wait it out, and do a lot of checking around, but getting THE RIGHT pup will be well worth the time and effort in the long run.

http://chinchilla.meetup.com

For those who understand the mystery, no explanation is necessary. For those that do not, none is possible.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Indecision Queen

I agree with everyone on this, if you feel like there is something off then don't do anything.
Me and Casey decided we where gonna go ahead and get a Chihuahua and we went to two places and walked in and found little Paige and we just knew, and we had her an hour later!
It would be hard to pick a dog I had never seen just because I like to see the dog playing with siblings or the parentsat least to get a glimpse of their personality.
Good luck girl!

~Angela and the group~
Oscar~ Male Crested Gecko
Burt~ Male Leopard Gecko
Ernie~ Male Leopard Gecko
Candy~ Female Ball Python
Gidget~ Female Leopard Gecko
Paige~ Female Cholcolate Chihuahua
Marley~ Female Harlequin Great Dane
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 10:55 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Yay Linda! I'm glad you will be getting a Yorkie. I hope you're ready for the grooming! LOL Snooper is part Yorkie and has a great personality. More independent and brave compared to Tito. Tito is really more of a needy dog and must have lots of attention & cuddling. You'll love your little Yorkie.

IMO, I wouldn't ship a puppy. I wouldn't buy a puppy I haven't seen either. I don't care what pictures they show me...I would still want to see the dog in person and pick one from the litter. We almost ended up "ordering" our shepherd puppy. We had looked everywhere and couldn't find what we wanted. We were set to fly to Maryland to check out pups when we came across Manto. We were going to fly out and check out the parents and pups and then drive back to pick up the pup. Ugh. Quite a pain.

As far as the Ireland thing, there are plenty of healthy good stock Yorkies in the US. They do that alot with Shepherds too (except from Germany, etc). They're more expensive...I don't know much about it, just seems a little unneccasary to me.

I did TONS of searching before we found Manto so I know what you're going through! Did you find any breeders in neighboring states? A reasonable drive from you? Could you make it to OH? I know of a breeder in OH with great Yorkies.

I'm so excited for you Linda! I'm sure Tito will be thrilled that you're not getting a Chi....he wouldn't want the competition! lol

~ Jodi ~

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 11:03 AM

Deja, I can get you the names of the breeders in New Jersey from the little orange book no one can seem to get their hands on unless you work in the animal industry and even then its not easy. I know there are a couple. There is also Diva pups but they use the words Tea Cup and Tiny and I saw a women with two in a bag at the mall and she said she tried them first and were really expensive. I think the other breeder where she ended up getting them was from NY. But I will link the site because the pictures of all the breeds she deals with ar so cute!

Diva Pups

Deja I will try to email you from the shelter today when I get there (no promises since I can get really busy) since I would like to get you the numbers to call today. If not tonight.

Also I found a website, its free but they make you register to find breeders. It seems kind of reputable but I have to find my link for that. They match you with breeders in your area.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 11:17 AM
New Title? MEMBER.

Do you have your heart set on getting a purebred puppy? If not, I would check local shelters. Yorkies have become quite the fad and many are being abandoned because people are not properly researching the breed. My friend just got a purebred (with papers) Yorkie from the SPCA in her area...he is 4 years old but still a pup at heart.

As for your questions, I agree with everyone else. Don't rush the decision, if something doesn't feel right, look for another breeder. When it comes to paying for purebred breeds, I don't know if I could buy the puppy without seeing it first and also getting to know the temperment. Even though they are from the same parents, puppy temperments vary greatly in a litter. It would be different if you had a breeder that you trusted. If you did, you would know the quality of the dog and the breeder could pick you the right puppy. Since you don't, I would look for a puppy locally.

Good luck with your search.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Dena, I was so surprised when I happened across Divapups! After contacting them and hearing back I was less than pleased with the response They get most of their pups shipped to them from breeders - they do "very limited breeding on their own" -was the response in email I recieved. Although I believe their record keeping is good they are asking in the $3,000.00 range for a pup only eligible for limited registration They also use "teacup" "super-mini" , terms like that which I know are to jack the prices up. The pictures sure are cute though! I was surprised to see how many breeds they sell too!
I have no issues with signing a spay/neuter cert. - but their prices are outrageous!!

Thanks so much everyone for your advice!! And Dena - thank you so much for checking into local breeders for me!

The most positive response I have recieved so far is from a woman out in Long Island - but her pups are imported! Something isn't sitting right with me on that.

Ohio is not too far for me to drive! A day trip to select a puppy would be a great adventure! So- I am willing to travel to some extent!

I have listed and registered with a few sites and the breeders that contacted me back on ads I inquired on where the ones I feel stonewalled me when I started asking questions

I know there has to be Yorkie breeders in this area (surrounding area!) NY, PA, NJ- even Ohio which would be a drive but worth it for a reputable breeder and good quality pup!

Candy - under any other circumstance I would have no problem getting a rescue or shelter pup. I have an already well established home with an established pack order. The very best option for everyone involved would be to select a pup from a reputable breeder and raise the puppy in my existing group.

Guys , I know this sounds silly - but I have agonized over this for SO long - and now that my decision is made this is a true test of my patience! I am so anxious to find a puppy!!

Oh thanks so much you guys, I really appreciate the help.
And Burrito

[center]

[
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 12:25 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

No problem Deja, I thought I would at least suggest it. So many people are set on getting puppies that they forget that there are dogs being euthanized in shelters everyday.

On a happier note, I have two listings in my dog breeder directory that breed Yorkies. I have never spoken to either one but at the very least, maybe they can recommend someone closer to you?

http://www.pets-on-the-net.com/direc...l#MinnesotaDog

http://www.pets-on-the-net.com/directory/dog.html#MODog

Candice

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thank you so much Candice! I will check the sites out right now!

[center]

[
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 12:50 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Actually, that will just link back to my site and give you the info for the breeders. Good luck!

Candice

Tags
local shelter, reputable breeder