Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

I Need Your Help!

11K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  mzkim 
#1 ·

As some of you know I have been agonizing over adding a new pet to my crew. I'd seriously considered a new bird. For years and years I've wanted a small breed puppy. After researching, agonizing and researching some more the decision to put a new bird on the back burner was a painful one. I decided to look for a small puppy. Jack is getting old. Max is trained and finished in the field- they are both wonderful and I love them, love them... but I have always longed for a small breed dog to train, love, pamper, spoil - kind of like the last baby I never got to have- as corny as that sounds. I've wanted this so badly for so long and now the time is right! I am so excited.

I narrowed the breeds down to Chihuahua, Maltese and Yorkshire Terrier. My gosh! The breeder information on-line is sometimes so shady it seems criminal.
After lengthy discussions with my DH, looking at temperments and what would fit into our group the best we decided to look for a Yorkie pup.
(burrito :heart: you will still be my one and only Burrito BF! :D )

So far I have contacted a list of breeders that looked reputable. I've recieved a few replies. Here are my questions and the things that just don't feel right! I really need some help here you guys!

1. How can I leave a deposit on a puppy I have never seen? The breeder claims pictures will be sent to keep me updated etc. Then the puppy will be shipped to me! This isn't sitting right! Has anyone ever shipped a puppy or purchased a puppy through a breeder - and had their new puppy shipped to them sight unseen?

2. Regarding Yorkshire Terriers - It seems that a lot of people are importing them from Ireland. They are claiming they have been overbred in this country and by bringing them from Ireland where the breeding requirements are strictly monitored, they have better temperments and are generally better bred. Huh? Has anyone heard of this practice? What do you think of this?

3. I am fully aware that people mark the prices of their pups up SO high just by using the words "extra tiny" "extra mini" "tea-cup" - come on - just from what we have all learned on these boards - there is no such thing and this is misleading! I am not size obsessed! I want a dog that is healthy, has a good coat and a pretty face. Am I asking too much here?

4. With all the confusing information that I've been bombarded with - I'm just plain confused! It's become so clear to me that this breed is in such high demand for some reason that people will make outrageous claims about their dogs. When I email them asking the right questions and politely and tactfully dispute their claims, backing my words up with facts, I get email responses that say, "Sorry we have no pups available at this time". Well! These are people I obviously don't want to deal with anyway!

5. I have not been able to find any breeders in my area. New Jersey!??? Am I looking in the wrong places? I contacted the president of the largest Yorkshire Terrier Club in the state and basically got a form letter standard reply!?? I thought at least she could name some breeders in my area!

6. Help! Am I going about this all wrong? It seems as soon as I open my mouth and sound like I even almost know what I might be talking about, I get blown off! Why should I play stupid? I am not. If there is one thing I know for certain - I know about dogs- I may not know everything I need to know about this breed - but sheesh!! What am I doing wrong here!?? It's either a total blow off response, or it's - send me your $XXX dollar deposit and I will hold a pup for you ....etc. This just goes against everything I know about selecting a puppy.

7. Thanks for listening to my rant! Help! How have you guys gone about finding the right breeder - have you ever had a puppy shipped to you? Would you have a puppy shipped to you? Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way.

8. I am so excited and anxious now. I have agonized, like I mentioned, about this for months. I know this is the right decision for me. I can train a dog, devote the time to a puppy - and I know that dogs and puppies are forgiving and will understand my bad days! This just feels right to me.

I know a lot of you are going to ask me why haven't I gone to the shelter or contacted a rescue organization. I will tell you. I am bringing this new addition into my family under special circumstances. My existing pets are very important to me. I have health considerations of my own which limit my ability (and desire) to deal with meshing an older animal into an already well established pack. It may sound totally selfish of me -but I carefully researched and selected a breed that I really want.

OK - end of rant. I am just frustrated - and wish someone could help point me in the right direction! What am I doing wrong!?
Feel free to openly voice your opinions, give me advice, tell me where to go (ok that could be a loaded statement :rolleyes: :lol: )

Or - maybe one of you have access to a breeder and the solution is easier than I think?

I know a few of you have recently gotten new young pups - where did you get them from? How did you go about the selection process?

Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Linda,

Speaking as a breeder of another species, I can tell you I WELCOME questions. If someone doesn't question me on specifics, I'm very skeptical and give them the 3rd degree questioning before I even think about giving them a kit. I do like to take deposits on my kits if they're young and not yet weaned, and will provide the buyer with photos of the kit and parents, pedigree, detailed temperament information, even pictures of my cages so that they can see they're loved and well cared for. I'm also always open to visits from people who may just be interested. I am not in this to make money, I'm in it because I love it and want to improve the species.

Additionally, shipping is common in chins, though sometimes debated.

I know the dog world is quite different and a ton of people ARE in it for the money. I don't envy you the job of weeding through. All I can advise you to do is go with your instincts. I'd be comfortable having a chin shipped to me, mostly because I deal with only those breeders I know are reputable. I don't think I would ship a puppy, I'd want to pick out my own.

Best of luck! I'm going to do some searching tomorrow for NJ breeders for you, put some feelers out. :) My future MIL just bought one so maybe her breeder can direct me somewhere.

#3 ·
oh Jade! Thank you so, so much :hugg2:
I thought it was odd that people didn't want to take the time to answer my questions...
I would think that they would want to ask ME a lot of questions too, before just saying - hey send me a deposit :shrug:

You made me feel tons better about this process!

#5 ·
I have had a puppy shipped to me before.... it is quite common. The puppy was a gift for my god mother who had lost her schnauzer of 14 years. (a well discussed gift mind you). I had seen pups from this breeder before, and she provided me with a list of references....... including her vet. So i was comfortable with sight unseen. Kiara is a wonderful dog and my god mother loves her.

I have heard this recently about the yorkies. I would not be surprised if it is true. Ireland does have strict breeding regulations. If only the US would have the same.

Finding a reputable breeder will be hard. I'll do some looking around and see what I can find to help.

I agree with everyone else though........ TRUST your gut.

#6 ·
As someone who has only ever had rescue dogs I'm totally clueless when it comes to all of this. However the only advice that I can give you is the same advice that you have so kindly given me these last few weeks....go with your gut instinct. If it doesn't feel right and no matter how hard it is to wait for your new puppy you should if you aren't comfortable with what you're dealing with right now. It will be worth in the long run and you are a fantastic dog owner and know your stuff so don't go against it to satisfy the breeders!! Good luck Linda!

#7 ·
Don't "settle" just to have a pup- when the time and circumstances are right, you and your new puppy will find each other. Much like adopting a child, you may have to wait it out, and do a lot of checking around, but getting THE RIGHT pup will be well worth the time and effort in the long run.

#8 ·
I agree with everyone on this, if you feel like there is something off then don't do anything.
Me and Casey decided we where gonna go ahead and get a Chihuahua and we went to two places and walked in and found little Paige and we just knew, and we had her an hour later!
It would be hard to pick a dog I had never seen just because I like to see the dog playing with siblings or the parentsat least to get a glimpse of their personality.
Good luck girl!

#9 ·
:clap: Yay Linda! I'm glad you will be getting a Yorkie. I hope you're ready for the grooming! LOL Snooper is part Yorkie and has a great personality. More independent and brave compared to Tito. Tito is really more of a needy dog and must have lots of attention & cuddling. You'll love your little Yorkie.

IMO, I wouldn't ship a puppy. I wouldn't buy a puppy I haven't seen either. I don't care what pictures they show me...I would still want to see the dog in person and pick one from the litter. We almost ended up "ordering" our shepherd puppy. We had looked everywhere and couldn't find what we wanted. We were set to fly to Maryland to check out pups when we came across Manto. We were going to fly out and check out the parents and pups and then drive back to pick up the pup. Ugh. Quite a pain.

As far as the Ireland thing, there are plenty of healthy good stock Yorkies in the US. They do that alot with Shepherds too (except from Germany, etc). They're more expensive...I don't know much about it, just seems a little unneccasary to me.

I did TONS of searching before we found Manto so I know what you're going through! Did you find any breeders in neighboring states? A reasonable drive from you? Could you make it to OH? I know of a breeder in OH with great Yorkies.

I'm so excited for you Linda! I'm sure Tito will be thrilled that you're not getting a Chi....he wouldn't want the competition! lol ;)

#10 ·
Deja, I can get you the names of the breeders in New Jersey from the little orange book no one can seem to get their hands on unless you work in the animal industry and even then its not easy. I know there are a couple. There is also Diva pups but they use the words Tea Cup and Tiny and I saw a women with two in a bag at the mall and she said she tried them first and were really expensive. I think the other breeder where she ended up getting them was from NY. But I will link the site because the pictures of all the breeds she deals with ar so cute!

Diva Pups

Deja I will try to email you from the shelter today when I get there (no promises since I can get really busy) since I would like to get you the numbers to call today. If not tonight.

Also I found a website, its free but they make you register to find breeders. It seems kind of reputable but I have to find my link for that. They match you with breeders in your area.

#11 ·
Do you have your heart set on getting a purebred puppy? If not, I would check local shelters. Yorkies have become quite the fad and many are being abandoned because people are not properly researching the breed. My friend just got a purebred (with papers) Yorkie from the SPCA in her area...he is 4 years old but still a pup at heart. :)

As for your questions, I agree with everyone else. Don't rush the decision, if something doesn't feel right, look for another breeder. When it comes to paying for purebred breeds, I don't know if I could buy the puppy without seeing it first and also getting to know the temperment. Even though they are from the same parents, puppy temperments vary greatly in a litter. It would be different if you had a breeder that you trusted. If you did, you would know the quality of the dog and the breeder could pick you the right puppy. Since you don't, I would look for a puppy locally.

Good luck with your search. :)

#12 ·
Dena, I was so surprised when I happened across Divapups! After contacting them and hearing back I was less than pleased with the response :( They get most of their pups shipped to them from breeders - they do "very limited breeding on their own" -was the response in email I recieved. Although I believe their record keeping is good they are asking in the $3,000.00 range for a pup only eligible for limited registration :eek: They also use "teacup" "super-mini" , terms like that which I know are :rolleyes: to jack the prices up. The pictures sure are cute though! I was surprised to see how many breeds they sell too!
I have no issues with signing a spay/neuter cert. - but their prices are outrageous!!

Thanks so much everyone for your advice!! And Dena - thank you so much for checking into local breeders for me!

The most positive response I have recieved so far is from a woman out in Long Island - but her pups are imported! Something isn't sitting right with me on that.

Ohio is not too far for me to drive! A day trip to select a puppy would be a great adventure! So- I am willing to travel to some extent!

I have listed and registered with a few sites and the breeders that contacted me back on ads I inquired on where the ones I feel stonewalled me when I started asking questions :(

I know there has to be Yorkie breeders in this area (surrounding area!) NY, PA, NJ- even Ohio which would be a drive but worth it for a reputable breeder and good quality pup!

Candy - under any other circumstance I would have no problem getting a rescue or shelter pup. I have an already well established home with an established pack order. The very best option for everyone involved would be to select a pup from a reputable breeder and raise the puppy in my existing group.

Guys , I know this sounds silly - but I have agonized over this for SO long - and now that my decision is made this is a true test of my patience! I am so anxious to find a puppy!!

Oh thanks so much you guys, I really appreciate the help.
And :heart: Burrito :lol:

#13 ·
#17 ·
Yorkies are far and few between in the state of NJ as are most small dogs. I get calls everyday from people looking for yorkies but there is nothing in the area. Here is the list of breeders found in the coveted New Jersey Federation of Dog Clubs, Inc. orange book 2003-2004 edition:

1. Castleford; Claudia Pierro, 83 Hudson Ave, Waldwick, NJ 07463, (201) 445-7424; email: castleford@webtv.net

2. Chondine Yorkshire Terriers; Claire M. Pollitzer & Lisa C. Pollitzer-Fordyce, Great Meadows, NJ 07838 Email: icfordyce@earthlink.net

3. Easthill Yorkshire Terriers, Eugene M. Nordquist, 455 Whitewood Road, Englewood, NJ 07631-1944; (201) 568-2280; email: njenord@webtv.net

4. Glen Manor; CarolineF. Ollweiler, 62 Birch Street, Beachwood, NJ 08722-3522; (732)286-1099; email: glenmanor@juno.com

5. Tink-r-toy; Joan Evans, 2768 Sunrise Avenue, Vineland, NJ 08360; (856)697-2948 (no email)

6 Victoria's; Arleen Guderian, 12 Carol Court, Glen Gardner, NJ 08826; (908) 537-6658 (no email)

I am still trying to find that breeders site that I found. I will find it!

#18 ·
Dena the first person I contacted was Claudia Pierro- she basically told me - that shey *may* or *may not* have a litter in January... she also was reluctant to answer my questions and suggest other area breeders - seeing as how she is the President of the Watchung Mountains Yorkie Club - I kind of felt very blown off :(

Pegeen's - another seemingly popular one - she is moving to florida and is having an open house! Come see the pups on X date- first come first serve - highest price gets them etc...
:no: fiasco in the making.

The others I will check out and call right now! Thank you SO, so much! I know how busy you are!
This feels like such a mission right now! :D

#19 ·
Hi Deja,

I don't have much to add, except i appreciate you taking the time to help us with our pup, so i'll just echo what others have said here... don't give up, and don't settle for something you're not 100% comfortable with.

As any consumer knows, it's difficult shopping for anything these days, as business folk seem to have lost all the traditions of good business. It's a shame, not least because of all the money they lose by making for disgruntled customers.

My wife and i went through the whole Yellow Pages looking for a veterinarian. Every single clinic in the vicinity lost our business by not having a doctor who could be bothered to answer our calls. We ended up finding one in another town. It's a bummer because it's a half-hour drive, but we're not putting our friends in the hands of someone who is only in it for the money, and who doesn't even know how to get that right.

Your experience shopping for a pup sets off nearly every alarm in my consumer alert system. Treating dogs as commodities that you ship around in boxes? Not answering questions, in whatever detail is required? Pffft. Heck with that.

I don't know much of anything about purebred dogs, or the whole registration business, but it seems to me that every sort of dog has it's fanciers who breed them somewhat informally. I mean not as a strictly commercial enterprise. I met a bunch of people like that when i was dog shopping, (i thought i wanted another Pit), i saw their ads in the local classifieds. I never did see any 'papers' and wouldn't know if they were legit if i did, but most claimed to have them. And more importantly, almost without exception the people i met from classified ads were concerned about who they were selling their dogs to. So it might be a good route to try, even if you have to drive all up and down the East Coast... get a whole bunch of Sunday newspapers and call around.

Good Luck,
-Papa_B

#20 ·
Here is a sight for asking about breeders, I'm not sure if this is the one or not but it couldn't hurt. Also if you seem p[ut off by some breeders it could be the whole christmas thing. At this time of year reputible breeders are cringing by the amount of calls looking for christmas puppies. A couple months later and I'm cringing with all the calls to surrender the puppies. So I think its just timing at this point. It has to be hard to weed all the crack pots out, ya know.

Oh heres the link: http://www.breeders.net/

#21 ·
Oh Dena, yes! I understand that completely! I know this is a bad time to be on a mission like this! I totally understand the point of view the breeders must be taking now - being bombarded with requests for Christmas pups - and weeding through the wackos!

I would rather not bring home a new puppy until after the holidays, when routines settle back to nomal and everything calms down. I am just looking for a good breeder to establish a raport with - gather information - and *if* they do have a pup ready to go - well that would be a decision I'd have to make, as anxious as I am to get this new little guy home!

I know you are out there my little buddy! Come home to me!! :rofl: yah I am losing it. :rolleyes:

Ahhh thank you for that site Dena! I have registered and emailed a ton of breeders around the country through a few pages like that - but that particular one looks different! Thank you!!

And thank you so much everyone for your support - and answers- it is great to know you are all out there!! :hugg2:

#22 ·
Oh- one more thing - I called my Vet this morning to ask him if he had any clients that were Yorkie breeders! I thought that may be a good place to start.

He basically said - he did have one -but - she was crappy :(

(sigh) wow this is going to be tough!
I think when all is said and done I may have to go with what Chrisanne has done - find someone very reputable and have a pup shipped - although it is not the way I wanted to go!
Breeders in this area are either importing, doing the collective networking and selling tons of pups for outrageous prices because they are calling them "teacups" "microminis" ...etc... BIG red flag there....(sigh) UGH!

Frustrated! Thanks you guys!!

#23 ·
I don't know who you use as your vet but I know my vets deal with a lot of breeders and shelters and may be able to find you a breeder. There has to be one in Livingston somewhere!

Here's a link to my vets website so you can read information on what they do and feel comfortable with asking them for a recommendation. I trust them immensely and they are very friendly.

Animal Clinic of Morris Plains

#24 ·
Thanks again Dena! My vet is a wonderful caring man with a thriving practice, in a smaller rural town - but his office is small and he is the only vet on staff there. I have a lot of trust in him - I'm thinking that breeders may use offices such as the one you linked to, which I have seen! I've passed it on the road in my travels!
I was thinking there had to be breeders in Livingson, Morristown... etc. apparantly they are well hidden :lol:

Thanks again Dena - so, so much! I am going to give them a call :)

:hugg2:

#25 ·
linda,

You are so doing the right thing. You wuill kow when you have found the right breeder. When I emailed and started calling all of the breeders i found for shelties. alot of them belong to the Three rivers Sheltie group, and the lady I finally decided to go with, she said she works with only certain other breeders, and that when we are ready for our puppy, if she doesn't have one,s he will refer us to someone she trusts to get it. iw ent through asking all of the questions you guys prepared with me and forgot to ask the price! She was really great. It took me a few weeks to find one I liked though, so TRY and be patient.

#26 ·
I breed golden's and don't ship my puppies, for the exact reason you stated. I would never get a dog shipped to me either. Who knows what shape the dog is in? I do know that I looked at purchasing a yorkie before I got my chihuahua and looked EVERYWHERE (as I'm sure you are) and didn't see one for less than $800. I was even willing to fly across country to pick the pup up, and still didn't see any under $800.

I'll check with my breeder connections and see if anyone can recommend a yorkie breeder to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.