I REALLY Want a Dog! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

I REALLY Want a Dog!

I feel so bad that I had to get rid of the rabbit. We've wanted another dog for a while and now that Ry is turning 2 it's the perfect time... except we've decided to stay in our condo for another year and we don't have a yard. (We'd also have to hide it from our landlord but that's not hard because we've seen him 3 times in the almost-year we've been here). Lox says no because we don't have the yard but I say that Ry and I wouldn't mind walking a dog a couple times a day and it would MAKE me get out and get moving! LOL Our apt isn't all that small and we have tile floors (perfect for "uh-oh's").

What do you think, is it unfair to the dog not to have a yard? We'd definitely get a larger breed. (Lab, etc).

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 02:31 PM

Why not get a poodle? They are hypo allergenic so you wouldn't have problems with allergies and they are the sweetest things. Labs, I know, shed like CRAZY and don't mellow out until they are around 2-3 years old and generally they do need a yard to run around in. Why not look into some breeds that aren't as hyper? I know Great Danes aren't, but poodles are my recommendation. And they're so sweet too!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 02:40 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Glad to hear Danes being suggested!

Christi, my advice is that its always your own opinion that makes the count, and you have good judgement so I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you and your family.

I know that I wanted a dog so badly as well, and we'd just moved into our apt... It was small, but I was sure it'd be fine. Well, Dakota is such a nut. (She is a Shepherd and turning one year old March 19th.) She is very hyper still. However, labs are very good choices because they're such an everybody dog. It'd be a great starter doggy for Ry. IMO.

I myself only regret that we don't have a yard for Kota. She LOVES coming over to her gramma and grampa's (Ben's folks house) because they have a huge huge huge yard to run and play in and I love it when we're here with her because she has so much more room. She's not under my feet each time I stand up in the house.

The tile flooring though would be WONDERFUL, agan IMO, because there will inevitably be an accident or two. And on-carpet uh-oh's are a pain in the you-know-what!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 02:49 PM

I just wanted to add: Did you get an allergy test? Because if you didn't you might be allergic to other dogs too.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

If you are going to do it I personally think you should look into a dog that would suit an apartment style living better. My best friend has two labs and they are very hyper (one is almost three...not a puppy anymore) and they love to run around the yard together. I don't think it would be fair to keep them locked up all the time. She did for a while there (and took them for walks) cause in their old place their neighbour had their lab stolen and the dogs went crazy. They hated it. If you don't want to wait then you really need to look at a dog that is happy to just chill out around the house. It's all well and good to say you'll walk the dog two times a day or whatever but if Ry gets sick and Lox is too busy to be the one to walk it the dog is stuck inside, except for toilet runs. JMO.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm with Carmen - I'd get a small, 'hypo-allergenic' dog such as a maltese, yorkie, poodle, etc. Gumbo does well with us not having a yard. We take walks several times a week around the complex and will occasionally go to the park, etc.

You may want to consider what the ramifications would be in the event the landlord found out - would he just make you pay a deposit or something worse? If he'd make you move or get rid of the dog, that isn't very fair to get one now.

You might consider volunteering at the humane society for a while too, to help build your immunity and expose Ry to some dogs in a controlled environment. I used to have to take an allergy pill before every shift and now I rarely need one when I'm at work.

Stephanie

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 05:25 PM

I wouldn't suggest a big dog in an apartment. They have so much energy as pups and really do need room to run. Some small dogs are good for apartments (my Snooper would be perfect for an apartment) but some small dogs bark too much and would just irritate the neighbors and/or get you in trouble with your landlord. I just don't think it's a good idea at all to have a large breed dog in an apartment. JMO
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 05:34 PM

I have to say that it could work either way, it just depends on what type of dog you get, even with a lab. If you adopt an older lab from a shleter (like 4years +) there is a better chance that they would do well in the condo setting. It could still flop, but that is a better chance. Ry's parents have 2 goldens (I know it's not quite the same but still) and the older one who is about 9 just lays around most of the time. She likes it that way. She's been like that since I met him and that was 5 years ago. She gets up to see what's going on if there's a comotion, but other than that she is content to lay at someone's feet and chew a bone. Don't get me wrong, she loves her big yard, but she seems just as happy indoors. The younger one is more hyper than I care to think about and I don't know what would happen to the house if she couldn't go out twice a day for a good long run and catch with the tennis ball. She's about 3.

Of course, every dog has it's own personality too.

Long story short, smaller dog would be better, especially if you want to get a puppy.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

That's true too Jodi, about the small dogs barking. When we move we are allowed to have dogs but if the neighbours complain of nosie then out they go. It's in the contract that the pet can't disturb the neighbours. Biscuit is an awesome apartment dog. she only ever makes a noise when she is outside and wants in...this won't be a problem when we move cause she'll only be outside with us. I plan on walking Biscuit a lot when we move but I know that if I get sick or something and she misses out on her daily run then she's happy to just chill.
From my experience (not sure on allergy or if it's what you want even) a Bichon Frise are a great small dog. I groom a lot of them and they always have the sweetest personality and never bark....a lot of the maltese terriers are grumpy and noisy. But you would have to groom a Bichon regularly.
If you want a large breed then I'd suggest either a great dane or a member of the pitty family (which I don't think you guys want from past threads). And adopting an older dog to avoid that awkward puppy stage could be worth considering too. Why don't you do one of those 'which dog is best for you' things you can do on the net! It maight give you some more options....but you should still ok it with the landlord.
The people that used ot live here weren't supposed to have pets and they had three cats. They got busted when the house got painted cause the painter knew my dad (landlord). she was just lucky my p's were nice cause she broke her contract and they had every right to evict her.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 07:04 PM

Christi you and Lox will make the right decision for your family. I understand the desire to have a dog though.

I do agree with what Steph said though. Smaller breeds would be better acclimated to apartment living than your lab type breeds.

Have you considered a greyhound?? I've heard they make great apartment dogs.

Whatever you decide you know you have our support.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

My aunt has a large GSD in her 3 bdrm appartment and she does quite well. However she does live right next to a park and takes her out there atleast 3 times a day. I personally would be comfortable keeping a large dog in an appartment aslong as the appartment(or condo ) was a good size. My current appartment is too small for a sheppherd, they would hardly have room to turn around. So it's really your call. Provided you have made sure the allergy issue is taken care of, and the family is in agreement, I'd say go for it

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

We've had dogs before, and my allergies are fine as long as I bathe them once a week so that's not much of an issue.

I understand where everyone is coming from but Lox just won't hear of a small dog - gotta be a big one, which is part of the reason he doesn't want to get one right now.

Thank you for suggesting the Dane and Greyhound - I'll do some research on them. I'm not completely set on having a puppy - that's more Lox and I think I could convince him otherwise. Also, about not having a yard, there are some great dog parks here where we could let him/her run.

I will definitely check our lease to see what it says about pets. Honestly I think our landlord would be ok with it if we asked. We've been here for almost a year so he knows we're responsible.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
You may want to consider what the ramifications would be in the event the landlord found out - would he just make you pay a deposit or something worse? If he'd make you move or get rid of the dog, that isn't very fair to get one now.
Steph brought up a very good point. I personally don't think it's fair to risk getting a dog fully knowing you are not allowed to have one in your apartment. Even though you said you saw your landlord only 3 times since you have been in your condo, there is always the question of "what if"?

If your landlord changes his mind about you having a dog, I would get a dog that is suited for apartment living. I too know people with Labs and they are very energetic dogs. Apartments are not good for Labs. Greyhounds are considered "couch potatoes" and are perfect apartment dogs. There are many Greyhound rescues too which is wonderful.

Last edited by Denise; 03-08-2005 at 03:07 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

I already commented on that, Denise, thanks.

I have been looking at the Greyhounds - and if we get one we'll definitely rescue.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:17 PM

I think a greyhound would be an awesome chioce Christi. Of course i'm biased.. I just adore them.

Tags
basset hound, dog park, humane society, older dog