I Saved a Life! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I Saved a Life!

Ok so here is the story...I'll keep it as short as possible.

On Thursday morning at work I had a woman ring up and make an app. to get her dog euthanised. She told me he was only 7 months old but he snapped at her son so she was having him put down. I could kind of see where she was coming from because I have been bought up with the rule that if a dog bites it gets euthanised.

I looked up her file and seen that we had recommended both puppy pre-school and adult dog training with this woman and she had refused both times. We had recommended it because it was a Bull Mastiff x Great Dane and we knew it was going to be a big disobedient dog...but not because it was aggressive.

I couldn't stop thinking about this dog cause I knew that if it had had the proper training it would never have come to this. I even rang my mum telling her I wanted to bring it home but of course I can't bring a dog that size home....I wanted to train it and then re-home it.

When the woman came in she asked if she could just drop it off and go. I asked her if it had actually bitten any of them and she said no. So I asked her if it could be re-homed would she allow it (when I was dealing with my situation I wouldn't have allowed it cause he would've attacked for sure and I knew that) and she said that if someone wanted him then they could have him. I asked for the full story and basically they were out playing with their guinea pigs and the dog was just lying there with her little boy lying on his back. He went to sniff one of the Guinea Pigs and she hit him across the nose hard from behind and he turned and snapped at the little boy but not intending to bite cause he could've if he wanted to. So because the dog did that she re hit him hard but this time he seen it was her and grabbed her arm...no pressure just grabbed it. I immediately thought that the dog could have ripped her arm off if he wanted to and he didn't so for me it was just a warning to her.

I rang a couple that wanted a large breed dog and explained them the full story and asked if they wanted to see him. They said yes so I took the dog off the woman and she even let her kids hug him goodbye and off they went. I had to force him into a cage and he would've weighed the same as me I'm sure of it and not once did he growl, snarl or anything while I was forcing him in. He sat there quietly the whole time he was with us. He is just a gorgeous dog.

So the couple came and fell in love with him immediately. They are taking him for a week to see how he fits in but they are going to train him and he is out on 100 acres with them. With some basic training this dog will be a great dog and I told them that they were never allowed to use force on the dog, they weren't allowed to use a choke chain and they were never to hit him. She assured me that they would not do any of that and I told her to tell her children (who are 10..the other kids were three) to not torment the dog in any way just incase and she said that they would take things very easy with him.
The dog was in a small back yard before and she never even walked him. He would've been miserable. I'll be very surprised if they bring him back...all he wanted to do was smother us with kisses when he was there and generally aggressive dogs are worse in a vet clinic!!! We have had dogs try to go us through the cage and this dog just lay down and wagged his tail every time we were near.
I'll keep you updated but I'll be surprised if they bring him back. And if they do then I know it just wasn't meant to be but I did not want to see this dog get euthanised when I honestly don't believe there was a need for it.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 05:53 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

That is awsome Carmen! You did a wonderful thing in giving him a second chance at a new life! Way to go, Girl!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

That is awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Carmen, you must feel wonderful that you saved that dog's life. Boy, was he with the wrong owners! Obviously, they had no business owning such a big dog and the new owners were meant for him and vice versa. I am sure he will be much happier and with proper training, there will be flare ups with aggressiveness. Good for you Carmen!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Three Cheers for you!!!!

Great job!!!! Fingers are crossed that the new family hangs on tight to the beast and makes a gentle giant out of him

VERY AWESOME!!!

- Deb

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Way to go!

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thats so great Carmen. I'm so glad that he has a new family now and I'm sure it will work out just great.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Way to go Carmen! You definitely saved a life today!

People like that one woman should not own animals, period!!

Karen

[

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Way to go Carmen!!!

That lady did not deserve to own that dog, indeed. She hit himm really hard and said it was his fault for biting?!? What drug is she on?!? People like that should not own animals, period! I feel bad for the guinea pigs...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Way to go Carmen. I'm sure the dog thanks you

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks guys!!! Millimi at least she was honest in saying she hit the dog...if she didn't say that and made up a story I may not have been so keen to rehome him. So I guess I can be thankful for that one!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

awesome carmen!! that's so great!! he really was with the wrong owners. you did a great thing re-homing that pup!

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Way to go girl!! That's wonderful!!!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That is so awesome. It's sad that this probably happens too often with people putting dogs down but atleast one can have a good life now.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

any updates carm?

Tags
dog training, guinea pig, vet clinic