I think I might be getting a dog *questions* - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I think I might be getting a dog *questions*

Long Story Short..

My mom called me today to ask me if I would take my stepsisters dog. My stepsister and my mom and stepdad lived in the same house as my stepsister. The house was divided into two apartments and my mom and stepdad lived in one and my stepsis lives in the other. My mom and stepdad had a dog of their own and my stepsis brought one home. She pretty much neglected the dog and my mom and stepdad took him in. They wanted the dog to be healthy and happy. They both had their own dog.

Now they just bought a house and the dogs have been living in their empty apartment and my stepsis has just been feeding them and letting them out once in awhile to pee. My mom and stepdad have let this go on for too long and they want their dog. The only problem is they don't want my stepsis's dog. They don't really want to separate them but well they want their dog. They know my stepsis will just leave him in the empty apartment and only go up to check on him once a day.

My mom called me and asked me to take him. Even though I know it'll piss off my dad I decided that i would take him. He is the sweetest dog ever.
There are some problems though.

He is housetrained but he's not fixed. So he pee piddles everywhere. He is about 3 years old. I DO want to get him fixed. Does anyone think that will stop the pee piddles?
Also I have thought about crating him when I'm not home. He has never been crated. I thought that it would teach him not to pee when no one is home. I know he has an attention problem but I don't want him to pee in my house just because no one is home. I know he is starving for attention and he always has been ever since he was a puppy. I plan on giving him his needed attention. Our yard isn't *completely* fenced in but I think I can train him to stay in our yard area. I even want to walk him every night to wear him out.

Does anyone have any advice? I almost told my mom to find him another home, but I love him so much that I don't want to see him go to another home and I definitely don't want to see him go to the humane society.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you could crate him, he will learn, you can fix him and that may or may not fix the problem it should help though but dogs that age can be house trained they have before the shelters do it and foster parents do it

If you put in enough time and energy you can fix the problem it just may stress you out to the point you pull your hair out before its done but it can be done.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:19 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah I think crating would be fine and well everything kendalle said really. Hope everything goes well. Good luck! oh and what sort of dog is he? (Just curious )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Newborn Pup

Are you willing to spend about $150 to go to a dog training class six weeks, once a week for an hour with your dog? These classes help you gain the skills you need and will make having a dog very easy.

If you aren't willing to do that, I would probably say you aren't ready for a dog. Cases like yours, where there's pressure to take a dog lead people to make decisions they otherwise wouldn't make. They are usually stepping stones to shelters once the owner realizes they didn't want a dog after all. That is, they don't really have the desire to learn to train their dog.

With a training class, you'll learn how to live with your dog, and avoid the problems that lead to taking a dog to the shelter.

Also, you definitely won't be able to train your dog to stay in the yard, even if you took the class and became a world renowned trainer, that's just not something they do.

He's just never been potty trained it sounds like, or not very well. But neutering will help with that, and other issues, but he just needs to be potty trained. That's another thing you'll have to learn to do.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I know he won't stay in the yard, I guess I just didn't add enough to that statement.
I would never just let him outside unattended and not expect him to leave the yard. What I meant was that I could train him to stay with me and come when I call him if he gets too close to the area that's not fenced in. It will be fenced in eventually I just don't know when. They tore down a house that was basically on our property so the fence went up to the corner of their house. When they tore down the house it left about a 20 foot section that's open. I think my dad is waiting until they build a house to decide what he wants to do.

I do agree that he wasn't potty trained very well but I do think that it won't be a huge problem training him the right way.

I would take him to classes but I just can't do that right now. That is probably something I would do in the next couple of months though.

He's a small pomeranian/chihuahua mix. I know there is a designer breed called pomchis but I refuse to call him a designer dog, or say that's what his breed is. He WASNT bread to be a designer.

*Missy*
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Newborn Pup

Your yard situation could work out for you because the route to potty training him means taking him out on the leash every time anyway.

You seem like you mean well here, and I think you could succeed. I just want you to know what it will take. The training a dog to come when you call will definitely require a training class for you. That's one of the most difficult things and can take some time. It's been six months since I went to training and my dog is just getting it now.

Now, that doesn't mean it can't be done faster, I don't have an urgent need for my dog to do it, but I'm just trying to say my dog is very well trained, but he's still not 100% on "come here". So it won't happen by accident.

That training is going to be necessary. And honestly, I mean the best when I say you need it, everyone does, including me. It's easy to ask friends or look on the internet, but that doesn't really work.

Owning a dog is serious work, and it will change your life. And the hardest part is the part you're just about to step into, and a lot of people don't ever get out of that part.

Matt

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 02:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm sure you know the work and im sure your up for it! I've known you for a long time and i have no doubts, you may want to get a book on training it could help a lot.

Good Luck!!

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I've been watching The Dog Whisperer and that other show...does that count?

Really I just watch those shows because I've always liked those shows. I'm getting more money back from taxes then I thought I would so I'll definitely sign up for classes as long as they don't conflict with my school schedule. I can't be missing school on a certain day for 6 weeks.

*Missy*

Tags
killer