I think I'm wearing Alex down.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I think I'm wearing Alex down....

Ok guys I'm doing a really bad thing here! On Saturday morning I made alex come and look at Aussie Bulldog's puppy pics on the net with me. There is a litter near us available on the 4th December. He admitted that they were cute and he insisted that we couldn't have one, which I know! Then on Saturday night I was talking about them again and he said that I just had to wait to get one. I said to him 'So I can definently get one one day then' and he said 'of course you can, after our world trip.'
On Saturday afternoon he told me he was so proud of biscuit watching her at the beach and I said 'imagine when we can watch our bulldog too' and he told me it would be really cute.
Then on Sunday while we were painting ceilings together I mentioned the bulldog's again and told him to think of names...just for the fun of it. Well we were saying all types of names and came up with Celery (I swear we weren't sticking to a food theme). alex told me that Biscuit and Celery sounded cute together.
Now my problem with all of this is that if alex is really adamant on me not getting a pet in the near future then he refuses to engage in any conversation about them at all!
My mum had originally said she was only looking after one dog when we are away for so long cause she didn't want two dogs in her house but it looks like they will be living in their apartment by the time we go and will probably end up house sitting. When we bought the dining room table Alex wouldn't let me tell them what we bought and my mum thought we had bought a bulldog.
I had originally said no more animals until after we come back cause it's unfair on the dog's. Now i'm starting to think that biscuit might cope better if she has a friend with her as well. she might not feel as neglected and she spends half her week with my p's while I'm at work so it's kinda like she has two houses and it would be the same for the puppy.
We couldn't possible have a puppy in this house but I have a feeling once we had sold a house and had a bit of money again (causes finances are stretched to their limit right now) that I could convince alex that getting an aussie bulldog puppy would be ok. Obviously I'd check with my p's too but considering biscuit is their 'grandchild' I don't think they's mind having two.
So please guys be brutally honest....is it too cruel to get another dog and leave it for 6 months in about 3 and half years time or do you think it's okay considering the circumstances? We hadn't decided on this trip when we got Biscuit so I haven't thought this through before and I really thought alex would be totally against getting another dog until Biscuit had passed away but the truth is he loves that dog and openly admits it. Help me out here!! do I put the pressure on or let it go and wait until we come back?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 12:58 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i KNEW what this thread was about before i even opened it! how sad is that?

well, let's see. if you are leaving in 3.5 yrs, then the pup will be about that old when you leave. if you get it from a breeder it's less likely to have seperation anxiety because it's not a shelter dog. i don't think i need to tell you why.

so, is it cruel to leave a 3.5 yr.old dog w/your parents for 6 months? i, personally, don't think so. i'm keeping Penny in mind because she's from a breeder and Chaquita is from a shelter. i wouldn't want to leave chaquita cause i think she'd think i was leaving her (unless i left her with jim). but penny? she'd be like, "whatever!".

so i don't think it'd be cruel IF the dog was already that old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

No, I don't think it would be cruel at all if it's going to be 3 1/2 years from now. I would say differently if you got the pup and then left it a month later.

Think about it...Biscuit is an adult dog and no one is saying it would be cruel to leave her for 6 months. Your pup would be 3 1/2 years old by then, so it's no different.

Have fun picking out your puppy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I agree with Scarlette and Jane. The biggest thing for both dogs will be that they will be cared for by people they know and love! It's very different than bording them at a kennel or something. If they spend so much time with your P's anyway, I think it'll be a LOT easier on them to be separated from you. I had to move 3 months before Shane once and I missed Kali and Orion terribly, but the second they saw me they completely flipped out. So excited and happy to have mommy back! It didn't hurt them in the least. They were with Shane and being with someone they loved really helps. I say go for it! Biscuit will be happy to have a playmate!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I think it would be okay to leave the dog for that time. But what do I know. I hope you are able to get Celery.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 05:07 PM

Well, I know one thing...When I get married my housband is NOT telling me that he will not "let" me do something..It is 50 50 no matter what..He would be out the door in no time if he said that!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

But then you would have to deal with everything he brings in to the house as well. Maybe a tarantula, and if you hate those, you wouldn't be able to do a thing about it. I think the way Carmen and Steph have figured things out is the best way. That's just MO.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks guys! You know Alex is going to want to kill you all!! I wouldn't get a puppy and leave it a month later...that is cruel!! I won't leave a puppy for a weekend! It would efinently be an adult and would be trained (my mum's rules on all dogs after Nacho ripped apart her lounge from seperation anxiety once) so just got to continue convincing Alex!!

Cute HA I agree....if Alex just says a plain 'no' with no reason what so ever I don't listen to him and argue the fact with him. The fact of the matter is if he wasn't with me he would own NO animals at all....we currently have 5 that all live in the house and he never complains. Now I'm working in a vet clinic the vet bills aren't that big a deal cause I get it all for free or really cheap but the actually living cost, the training costs etc. do add up and we share all of our money so he has to agree with it on that. We have an agreement in our house, if one person really wants something and the other doesn't then we don't get it until we can think of a compromise that we are both happy with. Otherwise what's the point of being in a relationship? We may as well go our seperate ways and live by ourselves. He is happy for my mum's dog to come and stay with us every weekend and any strays I bring in from work he accepts too.

I'll keep you guys updated...I don't want a puppy in a non-dog proofed yard so it will probably be about mid next year that I will seriously be pushing to have one....and that gives me another few months of buttering Alex up!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
vet clinic