I took on more then I could handle! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I took on more then I could handle!

I think I took on way more then I could handle....
I am sitting here in tears from the stress.

The mother dog won't stop barking,my neighbours were banging on the wall because I can't keep her quiet.The puppies are fun and adorable,but it is hard to watch them all,even in ONE room.And if I leave the mom and the pups alone in the pen,the mother of course barks and the puppies whine and bark and whine more.....

Were having a blizzard and I just realized my front door is breaking.I thought it was snow and ice and thats why I couldn't close the door,but turns out the siding is stripping...so my door is not closed,so I have to keep my eye on that so it doesn't open fully and the dogs and cats get out.It is crappy weather and so nobody can come fix my door.

This was a bad idea.I was thinking with my heart and not my head.I cannot handle this or deal with it.My nerves are shot...........

I don't know what to do!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Hello Earthling

Breath...... in and out

First do you have a radio or TV in the room you are keeping the dogs in? Sometimes jsut the sound of voices can calm them down. She is probably just stressed.

Two, duct tape your door.

Three play with the puppies.

Four sleep.

You can do it. I know it seem like you took to much on but if you beleive in yourself you can handle it.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I had the TV on all night and day.
If Sky does not see me,she barks...if she sees me,she barks.I don't win either way.

I was playing with the puppies.Sky paced back and forth and barked and I tried calming her down.Then she would chase the cats and bark some more.I played with the puppies and it was great...it is the mother dog that I cannot handle more then anything.The puppies are sleeping now,they do that more then anything at this point.

I brought her outside,anytime she seemed to need to go out (were having a blizzard so I cannot take her out for long,just enough to do her buisness).She even barks out there at NOTHING.

I cannot duct tape the door...I am out of that stuff and again,cannot go get any because of the storm and everything is closed.

And I cannot sleep with the dog barking.It does not matter what room I am in,whether she is in the room with me or not,she barks! I have my headphones in now,cause I cannot listen to it.She was not too bad overnight,it is today she got worse.I tried giving her rawhides and stuff and well she devours those like nothing else and then is back to barking and pacing.

I cannot deal with it and am about to have a break down.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I think if Sky was not barky,loud and would settle it would not be so bad.But her along with the door is going to make me have a break down.I cannot handle any of this!
Oh and before you say pay attention to her,I did...that does not stop her at all.

* Lisa *

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Betta Bomb

Slowly breathe.....
Mama pooch is clearly not used to being indoors and is probably having her nerves shot to peices over being stuck insdide with her darlings. The door....Uh-oh, my guess is you dont have duct tape so maybe push the chair that all your fosters sleep in in front of the door and place something else heavy on it.
Why is Mama dog barking?? Is it b/c she's inside and not out? Put her wherever she's calm and the pups will calm down if you give them something that occupies them.. Is peanut butter allowd at this age??
And go to a quiet room or get a bath and relax!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I have no idea why she is barking.She would not settle with her puppies,so I did what the rescue said and put her in the pen with them.She started the barking then.When there was a little break in between the barking,I let her out and since she keeps barking.

I cleared out the spare room and put the pen in there and left it open and even left the door open.The puppies would come out and fall down those little stairs and the mother just paced and barked.I then went into the room with her and the puppies and played with them all,but she would still bark and pace.The puppies are sleeping now,but if they do not see their mom when they are awake they start whining and barking (which is understandable).

She is not crate trained either,even though she spent her life outdoors in one...so crating her till she settles is not an option.I just put her in the puppy pen though,closed the door and have my headphones in cause I cannot deal with it.

Putting that chair next to the door is not an option,cause then I have to pull it out and push it back in ANY time I have to bring the dog out.

And there is nowhere she is comfortable.She paces and will not settle down anywhere whether I am in the room or not.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
I tried giving her rawhides and stuff and well she devours those like nothing else and then is back to barking and pacing.

I cannot deal with it and am about to have a break down.
How about a Kong filled with peanut butter? Or a raw bone (as opposed to rawhide, which tends to get devoured by some dogs).

Just hang in there!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I don't own any kongs...might be a good idea to get some for the future.And the weather is horrible,so I cannot go out and get any.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
I don't own any kongs...might be a good idea to get some for the future.And the weather is horrible,so I cannot go out and get any.
Hmm.

Do you have any empty water bottles around? You could try putting dog food, small crackers, or cereal in one. She'll have to knock it around to get the treats out (just watch that she doesn't simply chew it up).

If you have any older bones that aren't "exciting" anymore you could put peanut butter on/in them.

But yeah, Kongs are really useful for situations like this.

My dogs are kept occupied if I hide treats around the house but it sounds like she'd be too stressed to go look for them.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Let's look at the possible reasons why she's barking....Boredom, wanting attention, or wanting something.

You give her attention, that rules that out.

I don't know how much time she can spend away from the pups, but you could start obedience training her. Teach her to sit, lay down..maybe her mind is bored. I mean the major thing she's doing is laying down and nursing. Boring! Maybe she's just an antsy dog. She is a beagle, right? Beagles are always on the move.

Is the room she's in active? I mean, more than just a tv, but people constantly talking, moving around, like the living room?

My only advice is to start teaching her obedience and enrich her mind with it. It'll take her mind off of the boredom, if that's what it is, and give her something to look forward to.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

One thing she really wants to do is be outside I realized.
But the weather is too crappy to keep her out for long periods of time.I would never tie her out in this and it is too crappy for either of us to be out for long periods of time.

She needs a walk...all through the day we have just been by the door,due to the storm.Visibility is not good,there is alot of snow and blowing snow,cold...etc,etc.

I am going to shovel soon and will take her out with me then and tie her to the pole while I am out there.She does want to seem to hang out there,so while I am shoveling she can come out.

Right now,she finally settled and is sleeping with her puppies.It is finally quiet here.Now the main thing I am worried about is the door.If it is not one thing it is another....

The rescue got back to me and are going to find someone else to take Sky and her puppies.Now I feel like a failure and like I am giving up on them.But what can I do? I cannot be stressed all the time.

Anyway...

* Lisa *

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

You're not a failure! Your door is broken, and you have irritated neighbors. It's better someone else take her that doesn't need to deal with all that. You need to be able to take a breath and relax, anyway.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

So she is still restless,but this last hour or so (since about 7pm) she has been quiet.She still paces though.I was playing with the pups and she kept a sharp eye on me.Anytime a puppy would make a sound,she rushed over and was very suspicious.So I am starting to think it is me thats making her so nervous.Since her and the puppies were outdoors,I am guessing they never had a lot of human contact,so she is wary of me touching her puppies.

A funny thing though,I was sitting on the floor and she came over to me for some love and the puppies started nursing.She started to climb into my laps while the pups nursed from her.It was really funny and cute,but weird at the same time since I had a pile of puppies all over me nursing while she was half way in my laps.

Anja really likes the puppies and has been playing with them,although she dislikes when they tug on her tail and ears...haha.Sky is very suspicious of the cats as well though.She don't mind them going near her puppies,but she watches them very close.Berlin is afraid of the puppies and do not seem to like Sky either and stays hidden or up high hissing.This of course provokes Sky and she chases poor Berlin until Berlin gets into a tiny hiding spot the dog cannot get into.

Sky came out with me while I shoveled and she seemed content in this weather,digging and rolling in the snow.She didn't bark once either.She did get a couple small icicles on her lips though which was cute and funny.If the visibility gets better I may take her out around the block...cause I do know she needs and is craving a walk.But it is hard to see out there.

Anyway I am still stressed,especially since I almost got locked out of my house when I went to shovel.That door has to be fixed and soon! And I really don't know if I can handle this all still.I am glad my daughter is with her dad for a few days,cause I don't know if I could handle her and this craziness!

* Lisa *

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

does she play fetch? or tug? or anything, you could put a blanket on the floor and try and get her to find the toys/treats.

It sounds like she is just nervous of you which is reasonable she is just being a good mommy and probably didn't have the best life before if you can build a relationship with her i'm sure she will settle down some.

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 01:15 AM
I am allergic to maths

What happens when you separate the pups from her? If you take them to play in another room while sky stays in the spare room she might calm down a bit. At first she might be a bit anxious and noisy because she is away from her pups but if you throw a couple of toys in there she will get some excercise. Old dog toys will do but if you dont have any you can make some. If you dont mind cleaning up afterwards, that is You can fill boxes with scrunched up newspaper, they like to rip these up and throw them about, or you could get an old cloth or item of clothing and tie knots in it (you can put treats inside the knots) and she chew it up. Its probably best to do this for no more than an hour at a time