I'm BACK! w/ Polo and Trinity Updates - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm BACK! w/ Polo and Trinity Updates

Ok... so I've been busy this past week or so. I had family here from Michigan this past week (they just left). I've been dying to update you guys on a few different things that happened while they were here. I'm going to go ahead and put it all in one post...

Yule Trinity - The Rottweiler Puppy.

Those that were following along know I had picked Red or Purple Girl. Many of you said you preferred Purple Girl (the one with all of the attitude lol). Well -- good news/bad news...

Two days ago I got a call from the breeder letting me know that Pink Girl (the one we had not chosen) had choked on something and they couldn't revive her so she passed away. She also noted that she had decided to keep Red Girl. Then she asked if I would be willing to give up Purple Girl to the third choice people (they were supposed to get pink girl) so they could have their puppy for christmas and I could then wait another 8 weeks for the next litter. I talked to hubby and we declined. I felt bad for the third pick ppl but my kids and us have already lost Max this year, then lost Samson, then didn't get the male puppy and have been holding on to the fact that Trinity would be home for Christmas. I didn't want to add another loss to the bunch.

So the end result is: Purple Girl - Lil Miss Yule Trinity - is coming home Thursday night and I can't wait!!! Even though I know she's full of attitude and going to be more than a handful lol

--

Polo... Polo... Polo... POLO!

Polo's bacteria infection that was causing the runs and vomiting has cleared up. Yippy! But three days before he would've been done with his antibiotics he started licking his left front paw excessively until it finally looked like he had a strawberry for a toe pad rather than a nice black paw. So off to the vet we went. He had it all cleaned out, seems he had a lil tiny cut on it and his licking made it worse until it finally got infected. So now he's wearing a big cone on his head and on another round of antibiotics along with a spray for the paw.

As if that wasn't enough for Polo.....

His final bit of aggression that we have not yet resolved reared its ugly head while my family was staying with us. I had given Polo one of his favorite bones to take his mind off of the paw. AND I TOLD EVERYONE TO LEAVE HIM ALONE BECAUSE HE GETS MAD IF YOU TRY TO TAKE HIS BONE AWAY AND HE WILL BITE YOU IF YOU PUSH HIM TOO FAR. Would my dad listen???? Nooooooooooooo

My dad says "nahhhhhh he aint gonna bite me..." and dives his hand into Polo's mouth to take the bone.

Polo growled...

Dad dove in again...

Polo barked and growled and I told my dad to quit trying...

Dad dove in a third time

Polo snapped at him...

Dad dove a forth time

Polo bit his hand leaving one fang hole in my dad's left hand...

MY STUPID STUPID FATHER DOVE IN AGAIN with his right hand..

Polo BIT HIM HARD leaving 8 wounds on the hand, two of which were rather deep...

Blood was gushing out all over the place.

GRRRUUUMMMBBLLEEE!!!

Dad's ok but will have scars from the bite. Polo and him became "best buds" again after the incident.

Nevertheless, I am still soooooo angry that my dad kept pushing Polo after I told him several times that we are still working with him to rid him of that behavior but FOR NOW LEAVE HIM ALONE. Why don't people listen?

If it wasn't my dad... I could've been sued and Polo destroyed... even though it was the HUMAN'S FAULT and not the dogs.

Not to long ago there was a thread asking what we would do if our dog hurt someone. Well, I now have one such scenario and I'd like to tell you what I did!!

First we treated my father's wounds and got him the medical care he required.

Then I went down to the flea market where a guy does air brush painting on t-shirts. My dad is a bowling freak. He's on a couple of bowling leagues and bowls on the off days just for fun.

So I told the guy I want scared pins on the lane and the bowling ball needs to be a rotty head with the words:

"I was taught how to STRIKE by my daughter's rottweiler!"

Here's a pic of the t-shirt

So my answer is.... as long as they don't sue you for all you've got.... Buy them a t-shirt and move on

Ok... I need to go get caught up at work now LOL and then puppy proof this house.

I should be around more again since the family is finally gone ... wounded and everything lol

Hopefully I'll get caught up on what's gone on with all of you this week too

Deb
- http://www.PicOlio.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Wow, you have had an eventful week! Congrats on the purple girl. Sorry about your dad's hand. Why did he keep trying to take the bone away? Can't wait to hear more updates!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Why did he keep trying to take the bone away?
It's hard to explain my father :/ He LOVES DOGS!!!! But he has NO FEAR of them. He knew we were working with Polo to change that behavior and he had it in his head that if he showed no fear, and since him and Polo got along so great, that he'd be able to accomplish the task in 5 minutes or less. My dad has been bitten by dogs sooooooo many times because of his lack of fear.

My dad is a few fries short of a Happy Meal though and he just doesn't understand how stupid his actions were. (Well.. he does now... lol but that's not the point )

He just doesn't "get it" and he has never been around rottweilers. He doesn't understand how stubborn they can be. His actions may have worked with several types of dogs but not with a rotty... no way... Polo wasn't about to back down and my dad just kept pushing ... dumb!

Then, because my dad does love dogs, we had a HARD TIME getting him to the doc cuz my dad was afraid Polo would be reported for biting him. My dad would've bleed to death before allowing Polo to get in trouble. He's a trip...

Since we all knew it was dad's fault though... and AFTER we got done dealing with the seriousness of the situation... I just couldn't help but to have a "Polo Souvenir" made for him

One thing's for sure. My dad will NEVER try to take something away from Polo again!

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
It's hard to explain my father :/ He LOVES DOGS!!!! But he has NO FEAR of them. He knew we were working with Polo to change that behavior and he had it in his head that if he showed no fear, and since him and Polo got along so great, that he'd be able to accomplish the task in 5 minutes or less. My dad has been bitten by dogs sooooooo many times because of his lack of fear.

My dad is a few fries short of a Happy Meal though and he just doesn't understand how stupid his actions were. (Well.. he does now... lol but that's not the point )

He just doesn't "get it" and he has never been around rottweilers. He doesn't understand how stubborn they can be. His actions may have worked with several types of dogs but not with a rotty... no way... Polo wasn't about to back down and my dad just kept pushing ... dumb!

Then, because my dad does love dogs, we had a HARD TIME getting him to the doc cuz my dad was afraid Polo would be reported for biting him. My dad would've bleed to death before allowing Polo to get in trouble. He's a trip...

Since we all knew it was dad's fault though... and AFTER we got done dealing with the seriousness of the situation... I just couldn't help but to have a "Polo Souvenir" made for him

One thing's for sure. My dad will NEVER try to take something away from Polo again!
Gotcha. I'm glad he's ok! The shirt is cute.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Glad to have you back! Ive been wondering where all the Polo updates have been!

I hope your dad learned a lesson...but from what you tell us, he may not have...lol Im glad he is ok though, and that him and Polo are still best buds.

Glad to hear you decided to keep Trinity too...you guys deserve her.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Deb, first off, congrats on adopting Purple Girl. Between her, Chelsea, and Polo, you are going to have your house and hands full! Glad you are able to bring Trinity home in time for Christmas.

As for your dad, all I can say is, he is just as stubborn as a Rottie! You are right, your dad knows no fear! After the first warning, I would have definitely backed off. Glad to hear your dad is okay. He is sporting his new shirt proudly.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yeah updates ! I am soo happy you got purple girl! I love her!!! And I am glad Polo is mostly better! I hope we get more pics of him soon!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I'm glad your dad is okay, but it again raises the question:
"Which is more stubborn? Man or Beast?"

Congrats on Purple Girl! I'm so excited (she's the one I would have picked!)

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:16 PM

Congrats on finally getting your purple girl
Glad to hear that your dad is ok though...
I love the shirt
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

oh my gosh. so much going on!

i'm so happy that you kept purple girl! i just love her and i know you will, too!

your dad is craaaaaazy!! just keep working with Polo like you have been, and he'll come around (Polo, not your dad...haha!).

good luck with all 3 puppies!!

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Speaking of "coming around" and more pics of Polo....

Check this one out of Polo WITH a ball he is usually protective of and with a cat that in the first couple of days of him being here he wanted dead...

He really has improved by leaps and bounds! He just has two issues left.

1) He is possessive of his bones and a couple of toys...

2) He has to be sedated for vet exams. He's fine getting to the vet and fine with the vet as well as all of the vet techs until they try to examine him. At that point he becomes uncontrollable. After the exam is completed..he's fine again.

The possessiveness I feel confident will be resolved just by the progress he has made already (even with my father there were several warnings before the bite) ... the vet issue isn't going to be a simple one but thank God our vet is understanding and working just as hard with him in hopes of making the experience less traumatic. With all of his scars they seem to have gained a soft spot and understanding that "something" in his past has made him this way so they are just as hopeful as I am that his future will turn it around.

Saber, the cat, and Polo amaze me though. She can even rub up against his legs and sleep with him now and he doesn't bat an eye

- Deb

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 12:24 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

aaaaaaw! it's so great that you are making such leaps and bounds with polo! look at that grin on his face!

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 12:53 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

So glad to hear things are going so well (minus the biting incident)

I'd do exactly the same thing in your situation with purple girl (uh trinity!). It is unfortunate but you have lost so much this year you deserve that girl!!!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 07:28 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

Polo!!!!

He's such a handsome guy!! What a grin on his face!

Karen

[

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Its always great and satisfying to make progress... even if there are still several steps ahead of you, you still can't help but feel you've already come a long way. I'm sure you'll succeed as you keep with it! Polo is such a handsome boy and Trinity is adorable! I think it is very understandable that you wanted that little puppy, even though the other family didn't receive theirs. You've been through enough, let alone giving up yet another dog.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.

Tags
vet tech