I'm having a cap'n attack! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm having a cap'n attack!

Ok thought that would get your attenttion!!! Let me explain myself! A woman came into work this morning wanting to enrol her new puppy into puppy classes. she has a 12 week old bull mastiff/boxer x (my two other fave dogs aside from staffies). She just obtained him on the weekend from the RSPCA. He was there with his 7 litter mates. So anyway ever since this woman came in I've been thinking how most of them will probably be euthanized cause of their breed size. I want to go down there and rescue one sooooo bad! I can't, I know I can't, but that doesn't mean my heart is listening to me! I'm so glad she didn't bring it in with her cause that probably would have been the end of me!!!
There are soooo many reasons why it would be so bad (not knowing yard size of our future house when we buy again, the fact that we ar eleaving the country for 6 months in a few years, the fact that alex would never ever agree to it, costs of feeding, time, training two dogs) but I'm not thinking rationally! So please guys tell me how terribly wrong it would be and to get a grip so I stop thinking about them! See what I mean by a cap'n attack now?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Ok ok.... get a grip!!

Really though, you have listed all the reasons why you shouldn't. No matter how hard it is to resist the timing just may not be right.

Try to think of it this way. You can't save them all as sad as that is. The time will come when you can have another, and it will be perfect for you.

Its hard for me to restrain myself too so don't feel bad. It isn't just dogs for me, its anything that needs help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Chhrisanne that's how I got Molly! she needed a home and I couldn't resist!!
Don't worry the thought of bringing them all home anf finding them new homes did cross my mind but $180 each dog puts it way out of perspective!!
I won't allow myself to do it....I've told myself that I'm not allowed to get another dog until after our world trip. My mum has already told me she is only looking after one and I really don't want to confuse another dog so much either. I feel bad enough for Biscuit and the bunny's but we didn't know when we got them.
I just keep telling myself it would be a huge mistake and so I won't get one but I'm keeping myself occupied for the rest of the day so I don't go there to 'have a look'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 04:10 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

hey carm! i totally do this all the time. here's something you CAN do, though:

post some info about them on petfinder.com. do they cover aussie? or use whatever online mass adoption site you have. that way you can help get the word out. leave flyers at some places around town.

this way you can help them without adopting them when it's not right for you. hope this helps!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Next Member of the Booger Clan

LOL Carmen, I don't know what it is, but I knew EXACTLY what you meant by the title before I opened this...

Jane has a good idea... maybe help them get adopted without adopting one yourself. I know the feeling of REALLY wanting a dog at a time that you know you can't get one... it's hard!

You brought up all your own points. At this point it's probably not a good idea to get a dog, for all the reasons you posted way up top. There will be other chances, other opportunities, to get a dog. This just isn't the right one for you.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

~Nikki and Sandy~

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Well, I have never had my name coined in a phrase like that. Just tell Alex what you are thinking and I think he could talk you out of it right quick!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 12:01 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Resist Carmen.....

A friend of mine got a new puppy not too long ago, I went with her to pick it up and buy the new stuff for the pup. Omg, she was just the cutest, sweetest little pup in the world! I think I kissed that poor puppy so much that I put a bare spot on her head!

Anyway, I SOOO wanted a puppy after that. BUT then I started remembering what it's like to go through all the puppy training! Ugh.

So.......RESIST Carmen.

~ Jodi ~

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Proud New Mommy

I can definately back up anyone on this whole puppy training stuff!! RESIST!

I know it's hard.. But you know what's best in the long run for everyone involved.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

It's so difficult to resist, but I know you can Carmen, you have a good mindset so you'll be able to resist. I always feel like that too, when I see a pup needing a home, Poor things!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks guys, well it's a new day, new personality I'm over it now! I mean I still think about them but I'm not going to go and get one.
Jane that is a great idea but to my knowledge pet finder doesn't cover aus and I don't know of anywhere that you can just go and advertise if they aren't your dogs you know. It blows big time but we are pretty far behind on these things!!
Occassionally though the RSPCA will get a local tv station in to talk about any dogs on last legs that really need homes so hopefully they'll do it for these little puppies.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 11:07 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i'm glad you could resist. you can rescue another animal someday. right now was just not the time.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

I would feel so guilty and I really want Biscuit fully trained and to be back from our trip before I bring any more animals into the house. I was nearly in tears last night thinking about how hard it is going to be to leave my pets for so long when we go and bringing more in just seems cruel.
I have this big fear the Biscuit is going to love living with mum and dad so much that she doesn't want me as her owner anymore. I've asked my parents to live in our house so the pets are still in the same house with our smells etc. I think it might be less confusing for them. I dunno....but yeah my parents are one pet a time people so asking them to look after more wouldn't be fair.....and my dad wants his own staffy when Cindy dies so they'll already have two dogs to look after.

Tags
litter mates