I'm a new dog owner!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I'm a new dog owner!!!

Hello everyone!!! We just got our first "real" pet. I had dogs when I was little but they were never allowd in the house. Well, I've been married for 9 years and have 2 beautiful children and all of a sudden I got this urge to want a puppy. Kinda like when I wanted to have a baby, is that weird?

Anyway, we just got a 3 month old Yorkshire terrier on Nov. 2. His name is Cookie and he is staying in the house. We all are so attached, I can't believe how in love with him I am.

If anyone has any tips on housebreaking it would greatly appreciated. When we take him "out" he has pooped 3 times, but that's it. He usually pees on the puppy pads. I am so new at this I need help. Has anyone heard about a small dog being so cold that they won't go outside. Someone had told me that. And I see when Cookie goes out he just shakes. I feel so sorry for him. What do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 01:30 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i have a yorkie, too! congrats! they are really great dogs. they can be dominant, though, so i would really suggest puppy class, etc.

yes , i have heard of a dog being so cold it doesn't want to go out. but you just have to make him go out. i know it sounds cruel, but it's not like you are leaving him out there to freeze. take him out and stand there giving him his potty command (there should be a specific command that you give him for going to the bathroom. i use "go potty"). stay out there for at least 30 min if he doesn't go right away. if he really won't go potty, go back inside for about 10-15 min, then take him right back out. when he finally does go, make the biggest, hugest deal about it. i mean, be so loud and obnoxious that you wake the neighbors! this should be you ---> haha! also, you can put the puppy pads that have pee on them outside (keep them held down with a rock or something). this way he will still be able to pee on them, but they will be outside. dogs like to pee in the same place and on top of their pee all the time, so this could help. just slowly remove the pads. before you remove them, rub the pee-soaked pads on the grass to get the scent on there. always take him to the same place outside.

btw - are you using a crate? you should be crate training at night and when you are gone. does he have the run of the house already? you said he's about 3 months old. he should probably not have the complete run of the house yet. he needs to be supervised every minute that he's loose.

just take him outside a whole lot cause his bladder's so tiny and plus, he's young. dogs can usually hold their pee for 1 hr for every month they are old. so yours can probably only hold it for about 3 hrs. so he should only be in his crate for that long. this does mean that you should get up once in the middle of the night to take him out. but when you do, just take him out, say nothing but the command and put him right back in the crate. no big deal.

i wish you all the best with your little (tiny!) one! feel free to ask more questions! i hope i could help, but if not remember other people will likely respond to this thread so you'll probably get lots of great advice.

oh and..........we LOVE pictures!

congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 02:42 AM
Part of the Pack

Great advice, Jane! You go, girl!

I'd also like to add that if it's that cold outside, it might help if you bought him a parka, sweater or some other type of warm clothing.

Also, I've had problems potty training all but 4 of my dogs in the past, and it was so frustrating. I had to make myself realize that "what goes in must come out" ... and with a puppy, it can be almost immediately or within 1 hour. That's when I realized that I needed to keep my dogs on strict feeding schedules ... twice a day (morning and evening), around the same time each day. If my dog doesn't eat its food within 20 minutes, I take it away. I feel that all animals must maintain a strict eating schedule, especially during the housebreaking stage. And, teaching them while they're young is most important. For instance, when Brittney was a puppy, I was living with my ex-fiancé. He woke up earlier than me and took her "outside" (that was her potty command). He had back problems at the time and taught her to jump up and put her paws on his legs so he could leash her. Nine months later, we split up and I moved out, taking Brittney with me. To this day (5 years later), she still jumps on people, cuz she thinks it's acceptable. She won't jump on me, cuz she knows better, but I'm having a really difficult time breaking her of jumping on other people. So, it's very important that you teach at an early age, and make sure you don't teach your puppy something that you wouldn't want it to continue doing later on.

As far as pee pads ... oh gosh ... I wanted to sue the manufacturer at one point. I tried those with one of my puppies, and she peed on them, then destroyed them to shreds (I had her confined to my kitchen with a tile floor while I was away). So, I stopped using those. My father trained his dog on pee pads, and it took him 5 more months to train the dog to go outside, instead of peeing on the floor, where he used to keep the pads.

With one dog I had, I literally had to take her outside, then tap on her rectum and say, "Go outside ... outside." You might think it's gross, but it worked. It only took 2 times of doing that, and she immediately realized what she was supposed to do. Of course, I praised her and made a huge deal of it when she "went" and that is really important, like Jane said. I also brought a treat with me, and gave it to her immediately after she relieved herself.

And, like Jane recommended, definitely crate your puppy while you are away or asleep, or cannot otherwise supervise him. Most puppies will not potty in their crates if they have relieved their bladders and bowels beforehand. Sure, he'll cry, but you can't give into it. If you do, then he'll cry constantly, cuz he knows it'll get your attention.

Good luck! And, I also agree with Jane about the pix! We PT people just LOVE to look at pix, cuz it brings joy to our lives and puts smiles on our faces!!!!

Oh, and BTW, I'm so glad you joined us! Welcome to PT! :hpydance:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 05:15 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

wonderful advice, z car barbie!! i knew i forgot some stuff!! yes, a strict feeding schedule is a must! it allows you to predict when the pottying will happen. just think of your new doggie like a newborn baby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 07:07 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Congrats on the new pup. And yes, it can be perfectly normal (at least among weirdos like us) to get "that feeling" from time to time

I've mainly only worked with larger dogs but from what I've seen with family members and their smaller dogs it's as if they get a bit smarter a bit faster which renders things like potty training just a bit easier

For us it means taking the pup out every half hour no matter what and allowing no "play time" until the bathroom duty has been completed. If the pup doesn't go potty in the first 5 minutes then we bring it back in and try again in another 15 mins or so. This helps them realize that going out means business first playtime later which can be very important if mother nature calls at 2am and you don't want to be "playing around" outside while you wait on the dog to 'figure it out" lol

Hopefully we'll be able to see pics soon

- Deb

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks guys for the advice. Yes he is in his crate during the night and when we are gone. He is doing great with it at night and I think he's okay during the day when we're gone.

About the feeding schedule, with him being so little, should I do 2 times or 3 times a day?

I have pictures on my computer but I have no idea how to get them on here. Can anyone help?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i would go with 3 times a day, then at about 1 yr. old bring it to 2 times a day. at 1 yr. you'll also switch to adult food.

i'm glad everything is working out for you!!

for the pics: when you post a reply to this thread, make sure you click "go advanced" and the bottom of the screen first. this will take you to the screen where you can control all aspects of your post (reply). type a little message and then go down the screen and you will see a button saying "manage attachments". click on that and insert the location of each pic in the boxes (use the 'browse' buttons). after that, make sure that you click the "upload" button (this will be in the same attachments window). then post the entire reply. hope that helps.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:27 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Welcome to Paw Talk and congratulations on your new puppy! Looks like you already got some great advice on housetraining. Good luck!

Tags
crate training, potty train, potty training