I'm thinking about getting a Great Dane - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'm thinking about getting a Great Dane

Hello everyone!

I am having a dilemma. I am 99.9% positive that I will be getting a dog next year. I go to IUP and will be living in a 5-bedroom house with five of my friends, so we will have a large enough yard both in the front and back, as well as a large amount of space inside the house.

I have always been doing research on what breed of dog would be best for me because growing up, I lived in an area in which dogs were not allowed (heartbreaking, I know). I have come to the conclusion that I will be getting either a Great Dane or a Golden Retriever.

Although Great Danes have an exceptionally high amount of health problems, I still want to adopt one. I was just wondering what some current or previous Dane owners have to say about this. For instance; what health problems have you encountered with your Dane(s), how high would you say an average vet bill is, and if you have any tips for me, that would be greatly appreciated.

I will be working during the semester so I can provide ample amounts of everything and anything that my dog will need, so that is not an issue. The only thing I am worried about is if my dog suddenly gets bloat or hurts her leg due to their large size and quick growth, that I might not have enough money saved up to get her treated.

If anybody knows some ways in which I can effectively prevent any health issues, please let me know. I have been doing my homework on the breed (as well as the Golden Retriever), so I know almost everything about them. I am just hoping that some owners can help me out with my problem.

Thank you very much,

-Lauren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crystal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nugget (RIP)

Sacajawea

Izzy (RIP)

Alice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Danes have a very short life span. I think the shortest of all dog breeds at around 7 years. That would be an issue with me, but may not be for you.

You could get a dane mix and it should add to the life span, and minimize the health issues but it could still have health problems.

goldens are very sweet dogs but shed a lot and are very mouthy puppies but are very eager to please you

i suggest you start saving now, look into health insurance n so forth.

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The lifespan isn't the biggest issue, I understand that they have the shortest lifespan of all breeds (poor pups!), but it's just that I'm nervous about how much her vet bills would cost. I am not planning on buying from a breeder because I simply don't support the industry. I will be adopting a puppy from an animal shelter (she will most likely be mixed with another breed anyways), so either way she will probably have some amount of health problems...but on the other hand she will have an extremely loving family. I think I am willing to accept the vet bills and just save all of my money from this point on. I wanted to wait until I have a family to get a golden retriever, considering they are good family pets. I am seriously torn between the two breeds. Still keep the replies coming though! I have until the end of summer to decide upon which breed I will be getting

Crystal

Nugget (RIP)

Sacajawea

Izzy (RIP)

Alice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I love your attitude about adopting and your dedication to figuring everything out beforehand. I think Great Danes are wonderful dogs! I hope you can find the perfect pooch!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

First thing: having a front yard and back yard is great, but it's NOT enough.

Google Cesar Milan and how to be a pack leader and you'll understand why - Great Danes, and all dogs, need to be taken on daily walks. This focuses the dog's mind, burns off energy, and makes him/her more willing to listen to you, as their pack leader/alpha.

If you do indeed get a Great Dane, it cannot be subjected to running around a yard when they need to go out.

Can you handle a large dog on a walk and maintain control that YOU are the pack leader, and therefore he/she heels to you, and doesn't pull the lead?

Second:

They do seem to be a pure joy.

My fiance's aunt and uncle have a Great Dane - and he's more fun around a laser light than any of the cats! He follows them, and even when he tires he doesn't stop. It's hilarious watching this big dog go tearing through the house following a little, tiny, red, dot.

They are quite a handful, though. I don't think I'd want to handle one myself, though. I had a bad first experience with a Great Dane, so it took me a while to get used to my fiance's aunt and uncle's Dane, and I'm still a little nervous around him.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 09-26-2009 at 11:36 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I would definitely be taking her on walks daily, I was just mentioning the yard to make the point that she will have a lot of room to play. I understand that Danes can be a handful, but I am willing to take on the challenge And thanks for telling me about your experience with the breed!!

Crystal

Nugget (RIP)

Sacajawea

Izzy (RIP)

Alice
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

also i would suggest getting one that is good with other dogs, it makes life a lot easier if you can take it to the dog park, out on walks, and things with out aggression.

I am not saying a dog with aggression is hopeless, just as a first time dog owner it is something you shouldn't take on. socialize socialize socialize a puppy.

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 01:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I love your determinations and big heart for the big guys. Because they seemed to have fragile bones, better get older/mature one that don't have bone issue. When you will get a puppy dane, look for food that will boost or quicken enough dogs growing which will tend to have too weak bones. High places should be avoided to their access cause when falling or jumping down could hurt them.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

The heart is the biggest problem with the great danes.
Some have a lot of heart problems, some do not.

I'm not sure about this in the US, but a couple of years back (10 or 15), inbreeding was a big problem, because every one wanted a great dane, so they also had behaviour problems, and were very agressive dogs.
This is not that much of a problem any more, but people are still trying to outbreeding them.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 03:24 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ah!!! I am actually in the kinda same thing as you! Well, I'm in college, and although now is DEF NOT the time, I want a great dane so bad! At home though, I have a golden retriever. She is seriously the sweetest, smartest, my-best-friend kind of dog. Not to persuade you to the golden side... Hahaha

Along with the health problems issue, since you're at this age, remember what you'll be doing for the rest of your life. Mostly, living situations and family situations. A lot of places don't take dogs, and a lot that do take dogs only allow for a dog under a specific weight or size. And along with the life span of a great dane, you should think about when (that is, if) you want to have a family. Because these dogs only live so long, there is a big chance that you will be battling health problems as you are having or raising children. Not only is this a big emotional obstacle, but a huge financial one as well.

Sorry for ranting. I have thought about getting a cat or dog and right as I am about to say "lets do it!" I remember to seriously look beyond your own emotions and look at the life and welfare of the animal. That is all
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I actually think I am just going to go to the humane society at home and pick out a puppy, mixed breed or not, because honestly...I have been thinking about this a lot lately and breed does not matter to me. I know which breeds are supposedly "aggressive" (although in my opinion it mainly depends on the owner) and which breeds are good with children (I absolutely want to start a family eventually). As far as the living situations in which large dogs are not allowed, I am aware of that problem, and the house we found fortunately allows any types of pets! That was one of the specifications we looked for when picking out the house actually, haha. We didn't look for how many bathrooms the house had first...we looked to see if it allowed pets. But! I'm pretty sure I am just going to check out the puppies at the animal shelter and not look for a specific breed

Crystal

Nugget (RIP)

Sacajawea

Izzy (RIP)

Alice
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Have you found one yet?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:48 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I think she said she wasn't getting a dog until next year. I may be mistaken though...

Keep us updated, laurenaintborin.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

hey!
I love great danes, and I was going to say that if you are worried about vet bills, don't get a pure breed because to my knowledge a pure bred dane is EXPENSIVE! haha. I think they are gorgeous! I would tell you like someone else said to get a mix, I saw someone with a great dane/lab mix and it was just a bit smaller than a great dane, but had the same face! And longer hair than a dane, gorgeous!
I also think it's great you're getting lots of info beforehand and making sure you can afford vet bills. Going to a shelter or SPCA is a GREAT idea because you can really see their personality and check out a few very different dogs before choosing, and also you could cut down vet bills if the dog is already spayed/neutered! I love the idea of adopting at a shelter because you can feel good about giving a home to an animal that really needs it.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Haha, yes I am waiting until the summer to pick out my puppy because I live on-campus this year, so we can't have any pets unfortunately. I am so excited though!!! One of my roommates for next year is getting a little corgi also

Crystal

Nugget (RIP)

Sacajawea

Izzy (RIP)

Alice

Tags
golden retriever, great dane, large breed, puppy