Incontinence help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Incontinence help

Poor little Luna suffers from spay incontinence. About three days after her spay, she woke up on saturated dog bed. Since then, we stopped giving her water an hour before bed just like the vet said.

Anyway it has gotten worse. I have always left the door open so they can bolt to go out first thing in the morning but now she BOLTS and does a funky crab walk two feet out the door and starts pee walking.

Even after withholding water, taking her out before bed, and right in the morning, I'm still finding some wet spots.

I have a feeling if she wore a diaper, she'd try to play with it and I'm not sure about coning her for the rest of her life. We have a comfy cone but still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Talk to your vet, they can probably prescribe something to help . Also consider having a pee pad indoors...I know it's not ideal but it may give her a place to go in an "emergency".

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

if you do decide to do pee pad incase of emergency and your worried about the floors like i was, here is something i bought at walmart for cheap just a thought.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Does she crate trained? Pee pad surely a big help..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Yes she is crate trained and has piddled on her blankets. Not enough so its saturated but enough that when I throw them in my washer I can smell a hint of it.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Playful Pup

Talk to the vet. She may get better with time. Aster was spayed early her second year. She did have trouble, but not until around 12 years old. A hormone capsule a week took care of the problem. I am not sure how it would work for a younger dog.

Note, I was going through my old bookmarks and found one for this site. I am wondering why I registered and never did much.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Newborn Pup

Depending on the severity of the problem, there may be remedies.

Have you asked the vet about Phenylpropanolamine Hydrochloride? My dog has a slight incontinence problem, and this fixes it - he leaks in his sleep and when he gets excited.

Phenyl.Hcl is a decongestant that used to be used in Contact. It is still used in much higher doses to shrink the dog's sphincter and prevent leaking. My 40-lb dog gets 25mg twice a day.

"That house is doubly blest / Which to our feline friends gives rest." (The Black Cat, 1941 movie)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Playful Pup

It could also be complications from spay,, if your dr dosent seem to be addressing thourally you may need to go to another vet use your gut instinct if what your vet is telling you dosent seem right go to another one.. good luck.. and yea it could be a number of things but if your vet is ignoring it its time for a different one.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtnamas42 View Post
Depending on the severity of the problem, there may be remedies.

Have you asked the vet about Phenylpropanolamine Hydrochloride? My dog has a slight incontinence problem, and this fixes it - he leaks in his sleep and when he gets excited.

Phenyl.Hcl is a decongestant that used to be used in Contact. It is still used in much higher doses to shrink the dog's sphincter and prevent leaking. My 40-lb dog gets 25mg twice a day.
Yeeaaah we don't do drugs here lol. But in awesome news, vets got her on marshmallow and it has severely improved everything. And yes it was from the spay. We had her on hormones for a couple days and she wasn't Luna the entire time. It did work though.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna