Injured Doggie- Jack hurt his hip - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Unhappy Injured Doggie- Jack hurt his hip

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to get some support and information....
My 7 year old Golden Retriever - Jack - swims every day in my pool. He lives to swim! I know it's great for his aging joints. Today something happened. Yesterday I kept him inside and out of the pool because my visiting 10 year old neice has been running him ragged out there
Anyway - I let him out today explicitly telling her - do not make him fetch, run or let the puppy in the pool area- I do not want him running around!
Well.... I think she did - and I am not getting the full story. Damage done, no point in grilling her if she is going to make something up.
I found him laying on his side on the concrete (not in his usual dug out pod under his big tree with the soft pine needles he made a place to lay on).
He could barely stand up - baddly limping on his rear left leg/hip and not bearing full weight. Off to the vet tomorrow afternoon. I gave him a buffered aspirin for the pain and he is moving around better tonight. I just hope he didn't hurt himself too baddly.

I just love this dog so much, he's been there for me- always! Through everything good and bad. I hope the vet can fix him right up and he doesn't have to be in pain.

Does anyone else have a large breed dog that is prone to knee or hip injuries? What do they usually do for them?

Thanks for listening!
I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow (Thursday).

Deja

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

eeek! I boofed up my pocket pals
I will figure out how to fix them - poor babies- lol
Deja

[center]

[
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 01:25 AM

I'm sorry I don't have any help for you I hope Jack makes a full recovery soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 06:57 AM

I had a German Shepherd that had hip problems. He would get sore after a fetching or running/playing too much. As he got older we didn't throw frisbees or anything else for him but he would still play by himself and would end up limping. The doc gave us prednisone & tranquilizers (Bach was a little obsessive). When he would have a bad day we would give him one prednisone. I never liked giving the tranquilizers because it was so sad to just see him laying around like that.

Since Jack is 7 yrs old, I bet he's got some arthritis in his hips/legs. Poor little guy! Don't they look so sad laying there not able to move well??

I'm sure your vet will be able to give Jack something...I hope all turns out well.

Please keep us updated!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 01:52 PM

I hope he will be fine! Poor thing!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 02:02 PM

Any news yet?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks everyone for your concern - it means so much

I just returned home from the Vet. Jack has Lyme Disease (Arrgh!) This is the first year I was late getting his vaccine- I feel so awful! Poor Jack. The vet does feel he may have sustained a soft tissue injury and because of the Lyme disease he is really hurting. He is on a full course of Doxycycline and an anti-inflammatory for pain. He will be seen again when he has finished his meds (and in between of course if anything I percieve as a problem pops up).
My vet told me that for over a month now he is seeing 3 positive lyme tests in dogs per day. That's a lot of cases!
I live in northwestern NJ - in the country - lotta bugs
I will never ever skip this shot again! I could kick myself in the rear really hard right now.
I will nurse my buddy back to health with tender loving care, a good diet and by making sure he takes all his meds on time.

Lesson learned. If you live where there are deer, mice etc... there are ticks that carry Lyme. Don't skip the vaccination.

Deja (and sore Jack)

[center]

[
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 08:01 PM

Hi! I live not far from you in Eastern PA. I found out my dog Beau has Lymes also , but does not show symptoms. I also kicked myself for not keeping them on(in my case) the vaccine but that was because a vet told me a few years ago she would not give it to her dog because I guess it wasn't that safe.
Well anyway I would consider early lymes Disease in my dogs not such a bad thing after what we've been through. My dogs have had 5 leg surgeries between them- Buddy has elbow dysplasisa and 2 crucial ligament tears repaired(4 surgeries for him) He's a mess with arthiritis and it's very sad , he's been limping since he was 3 months old.(Buddy is a product of poor breeding)
Beau tore his knee ligament last year and also had a repair job, but he's not the same and still limps, and I have to try and stop the running too, but tell that to a 4 year old dog who wants to tear up the yard and have fun. We put up a pool this summer so I have them both swimming now for exercise.
I hope your dog gets back to his old self, sounds like he should but make sure it's not a knee tear because Beau was not diagnosed correctly the first time and he went for months and months before he got the much needed surgery- that could be why he's not doing as well as I hoped.
Goodluck!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 08:07 PM

Oh, and if you want to try and get your dog on Deramaxx(from vet) they may help him feel much better. I have Buddy on that now forever and he really showed improvement. Also you should try getting him those supplements for joints and bones, like glyco-flex- if you haven't already.

ps.- the way you describe your dogs injury sounds so much like a crucial ligament tear- please get a second opinion if your dog dosent make a FULL recovery, cause they can appear to get better when inflamation goes down but as soon has they stress the area again they're back to limping pretty bad again.

Last edited by Linda Lee; 07-31-2003 at 08:16 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Hi Linda,
I tried to respond to your message the other day but the forum was down and I couldn't post my reply.

Wow-Buddy looks just like Jack! Yours have been through so much- with you going through it right beside them.

Jack is on an anti-inflammatory for 5 days called Etogesic. When he is finished with it and re-examined by the vet I will ask about the Deramax. I have read good things about it and how well dogs respond to it.

My vet also mentioned checking for an ACL tear. He wanted to give him a few days to start responding to the Doxycycline and Etogesic before he subjected him to the anesthesia needed to get a good look at both his hip and the ACL through X-ray.

Today is Saturday and he seems to be doing much better. The look in his eyes seems happier and he is starting to move around with more ease. I still see him limping - but nothing like when we first noticed.

My vet called yesterday to check on him. I wasn't home to get the call. I'd taken my girls and nieces to NYC for a day of fun (in the rain yippee lol!).

Anyway- thanks so much for the information and caring. I sure hope your long ordeal with Buddy and Beau helps them to become pain-free pups! Swimming is great - We call our pool "Jack's pool" because he swims every day in the summer!

Take Care,
Deja

[center]

[
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Proud New Mommy

I had a dachshound (sp?) ....((a weiner dog)) for 10 years.. she had Lupus and a bad case of arthritis all over her poor little body. We had to give her prednisone, and my mom sometimes gave her some tylenol if she was having a bad day. but- She was a happy dog, and at 10 years old she was still able to play with all of us. I know this doesn't have much to do with helping you, but I'm trying!! He will probably get better as time goes on... I hope he does! Good Luck with him.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks Rocheal! I know there isn't anything anyone can do- but it really is nice to know that you guys are out there!

Your dachshound sounds like me! LOL I have the same problems and I take prednisone too - nasty evil icky medicine

I know Jack is in good hands and he will get better- he has a lot more years left in him to be my best buddy!

It's funny- our puppy Max seems to know that Jack isn't in the mood to "puppy play" right now and he has been laying at Jack's side with his head on Jack's paws or snuggled next to him. It's so cute to see. They've really grown attached in the three months since Max came to adopt us.

Your dog is gorgeous- I saw her picture! What a beauty!

Take Care!
Deja

[center]

[
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Proud New Mommy

Thanks Deja... Yeah- I love how dogs.. and all animals for that matter, can sense things.. It always makes me feel better to know I ALWAYS have someone around that can understand how im feeling!! And it's always cute to watch a little hyper puppy, calm down for his best friend

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Best I can remember, etogesic is a coated aspirin. The coating is to keep from tearing up their stomachs.

We're kept my daughter's Golden on Shark Cartiledge for years, and it really helps. I've always had to attitude NOT to go over to the rimadyl or other rx meds until it is absolutely necessary. Like pred, they seem to give them a false sense of well-being and they may hurt themselves worse with that. (In fact, I may as well go to Sam's and buy shark cartiledge before I go, because she never fails to be out when I get to KY!!) The glucosomine products are good for both humans and animals. My orthopod suggested that I take it for my arthritis.

I hope you've caught the Lyme's at a good stage. I did all my doggie medicine in KY and don't remember ever seeing a case of it. I'll be thinking about him!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Hi Critter,
Etogesic is an NSAID, not related to aspirin, but before I saw the vet I was giving him one adult buffered aspirin per day for the pain. (The day before I was able to get him in for an appointment)
I am thinking that this has to be a relatively early stage case (hoping and praying it is too).
The Shark Cartilege and Glucosamine suppliments are a good idea and I will ask my vet about giving them to him. Thanks for the well wishes, I know with all of you out there sending them he's going to bounce back from this quick!
He looks good today! He even barked at the front door when one of my elderly neighbors rang it to give us some old onions
Deja

[center]

[

Tags
german shepherd, golden retriever, lyme disease