Interesting Article on a different kind of Abuse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Interesting Article on a different kind of Abuse

Ernie, a fluffy, 10-week-old golden retriever with heart-melting eyes, was originally a birthday present. The lucky recipient was Danielle, a pony-tailed 11-year-old living in an affluent Westchester, N.Y., suburb.
Danielle's passions for some time had been soccer, Justin Timberlake, and instant messaging, but her parents wanted to give her a different kind of birthday gift, "something that you didn't plug in or watch, something that would give her a sense of responsibility." She'd often said she'd love a puppy and vowed to take care of it.

Girl and dog, growing up together-what parent hasn't pictured it? Her folks envisioned long family walks around the neighborhood, Ernie frolicking on the lawn while they gardened. They could see him riding along to soccer games.

Click here for rest of article:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2103801?GT1=...ontinueArticle

"There are no such thing as coincidences. Everything happens for a reason."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Good article. I only hope dog owners like Ernie's read it and take it to heart, then go do something to change their dog's life...for the better.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Very good arcticle.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Sadly, I've seen that many times and a friend of Shane's treats his pitbull like that. Poor Indica is kennelled 90% of the time inside the house even when Dave is home or visitors are there...I hate seeing Indica kennelled like that. Dave says it's because he's just too hyper and trips over the X box cords disconnecting his stupid game! If Indica was allowed to be out more and got the affection he deserved, he wouldn't be so hyper all the time. Yes, my dogs are overly excited when new people come over but within 10 minutes, they are calmed down and happily getting petted! Dave just doesn't wait that 10 minutes for Indy to calm down and sadly he is crated. We tried to see if Orion and Indy could get along and have Dave bring Indica to us while at work,but Orion won't have it...Kali adores Indy, but Orion sure doesn't. (that is to be expected of male pitties though) I wish there was something we could do, but since Indy isn't suffering physical abuse, is fed, watered, allowed out to potty, kept up on his vaccinations and nail trimmings...we can't really do much. All we can do is talk to the owners and offer suggestions and advice. It's a real shame though because Indy would be a wonderful dog for anyone! He's smart, well behaved (if you give him time to calm down a bit) completely NOT dog or food aggressive in any way shape or form and he's beautiful.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 02:45 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I've seen dogs like that too. My uncle has always kept his dogs outside and they get so lonely and detached. Every dog he's ever had has been afraid of people. He got a lab puppy for his daughter who is mentally disabled awhile ago. I think its an adult now and probably stays outside in the backyard all by itself. I just don't understand some people.

Rats have rights...& mice too!

Tags
dog owners, golden retriever