Introducing.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Talking Introducing....

SAM!!
This is Sam our new pit bull mix. We adopted him from our local shelter, after he had sat there for over 2 months. People in our area are against pit bulls, and that is the only reason he sat there for so long. The shelter employees told us that he was the friendliest dog there (out of 20 dogs!) and we couldnt believe our luck in finding him. We knew as soon as we saw him, we actually werent planning on getting a dog, and were only at the shelter donating food when we saw him. We all fell in love immediatly and after taking him for a few walks and visiting for hours everyday we decided to take him home with us . Sam is a neutered 2 year old boy, the shelter employees didnt have any background information about him other than that he came from an abusive home where he was let loose in the neighbourhood all the time. This resulted in him being picked up and his owners surrendered him, because they didnt want to pay the fee. Sam is nothing but a big baby, his favorite activities include giving kisses, chasing tennis balls and sticks, eating flies, swimming and just being around us. I thought i would share Sam's story with all of you in hopes that more people will start adopting from thier local shelters, a lot of wonderful dogs are destroyed because of limited space and it just breaks my heart.

Our vet said that his primary breed is definatly pit bull but she couldnt figure out where the ears and tail came from, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what breed he is mixed with . We think he may be pit/akita.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7508.JPG (48.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7503.JPG (50.0 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sam is adorable! Good for you, adopting from a shelter. Both of my pups came from a shelter.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 05:17 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

He's gorgeous!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:48 AM

Aww what a cutie, congrats!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Cute! Good job on adopting!

I would say he is half Schipperke. I'll insert some pics of my dog, Chaquita - she is half Chihuahua and half Schipperke. If you look up Schipperkes online, you can see what a full-blooded one looks like.

Chaquita:

Notice the curly tail:

Can't wait to see more pics of your new pup!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Do Schipperke's have curly tails?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

They are shown with no tails (for competition), but if they keep their natural tails then they are curly.

I'm not sure if they breed them to be tail-less or if they nip them.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Very cute!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 10:33 AM

what a cutie. Congrats on your new addition.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone
Oh so they dock the tails for show but if you leave it natural it will curl, so maybe he is part schipperke (spelling?). Thanks for the info, im so curious about his breed, not that it would matter what breed he is, its just nice to know He could be pure wolf for all i care, hes the best
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawn
Thanks everyone
Oh so they dock the tails for show but if you leave it natural it will curl, so maybe he is part schipperke (spelling?). Thanks for the info, im so curious about his breed, not that it would matter what breed he is, its just nice to know He could be pure wolf for all i care, hes the best
I think that's what they do. I just know that in show they have no tails but that on their websites it says that their natural tails are curled.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:21 PM

I agree, he looks like he could have some schipp, which are very cute dogs, too.
How big is he? Maybe that would determine it.

He is very adorable regardless.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

He weighs exactly 50 pounds, i dont have his measurements though and he is out with my father in law doing "manly" stuff right now lol. I will try and measure him when he gets home.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 02:31 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Sounds like he really does have some Schipperke in there.

Btw - any more pics?

Tags
local shelter, pit bull, pit bull mix, pit bulls