Introducing a second dog to Osa.....question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Question Introducing a second dog to Osa.....question

We are thinking of getting a second dog. We have a GSD/Chow mix right now. My husband wants to get a Pit or Rott.

I was wondering if it would be better to get a female or a male?

We are going to get this second dog as a puppy so that hopefully it will be easier for my dog to accept the second dog.
She doesnt really like other dogs at all ever since a dog came into our yard and attacked her a few years back. I am nervous about getting another dog because of the problems that we might face but my hubby really wants to.
My Osa can get jealous sometimes even when I am baby talking my tiels or Harriette, gpig. She goes into a pout and gives me her sad eyes..lol. Osa is a female. We have had her since she was a puppy and have had her 7 years now.

Any advice...male, female...breed??

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i'm not sure which is better but sometimes dogs have a harder time accepting a pup rather than an older dog because they are more hyper.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

My Osa is very hyper still and very active so I do not think that would be an issue in this situation but I will keep that in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've only owned boys, so I don't know about the difference in the genders. However, when introducing, it's important to make the newer dog submissive to Osa by putting him/her on her back or side. Sometimes you can have the newer dog on leash facing forward and show Osa his behind to sniff. This will prevent eye contact and hopefully a confrontation. I would keep both dogs on leash until you are sure what will happen. Maybe have them meet on "neutral" ground like at a park or somewhere Osa wouldn't consider hers. Is she territorial or does she just want to be alpha? I'd give them both baths before the meetup and wash all the doggy bedding.

Another good way to establish a pecking order and reduce fighting is to take them on a walk together and have the new dog walk behind Osa. I think once she sees the new dog isn't going to attack her or hurt her she will accept him/her.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:41 AM
Will It Ever Change?

I would think another female is perfectly fine to get. spayed of course. introduce on neutral ground, like go for walks, even just your driveway might be enough. puppy is a good idea, the age difference helps a lot. give treats for good behaviour when bonding, like little kibbles. no toys yet because you don't want them to fight over it. but after a day you can intro some toys, enough toys that everyone has one. take toys in your hands, put in pup's and osa's, if they fight, take toys away. give toys back for good behaviour. if i think of anythign else i'll write

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it cuz I am nervous about doing an introduction.

I forgot to mention another reason I am nervous. About 4 years ago Osa was attacked by a pit that came into our yard. She didnt get hurt, the pit got it worse than she did, but ever since then she hates other dogs. That is what makes me so nervous about getting another one and why we want to start with a puppy to hopefully make it easier somewhat.
She likes Harriette (gpig) and neighbor cat Buddy, so maybe? she will accept something small like she is..I hope.

I think we are leaning more toward getting a rotti pup or maybe even a gsd pup. I love gsd's and told hubby I would love to have a gsd. Osa is a gsd/chow mix. I dont want a pitbull. Nothing personal to any that love them, its just that we have had many negative things happen around here with pits. I know they are not all bad and that it depends on how they are trained and taken care of but I just prefer a gsd over a pit. Please dont start anything on this thread b/c I mention this. I just mainly want info on good ways to introduce a pup to my Osa.

Please keep any other suggestions coming. Anything you think might help please do post. I want as much info as possible beforehand. Thanks
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If you're nervous about it, maybe you should have you husband do the initial introduction himself. Dogs can sense the worry you have, and Osa may be more prone to acting up if she thinks you need "protecting" or you are worried about something. Either that or do lots of Yoga and calming exercises! If you know anyone with a well adjusted, friendly dog, maybe you could do a test run to see how Osa will react. Or you could even try going to a shelter to walk their dogs and take Osa with. A lot of shelters have friendly dogs that would like a nice walk and it could help Osa get adjusted to being around other dogs. Are you planning on getting a puppy from a breeder? If so, the breeder could have some ideas on how to best help Osa with the transition.

When my mom got her two puppies they didn't get along right away. She smeared some liver squirt on their noses and they licked each other and became fast friends. I'm not sure how well that would work for an adult dog though...

[edit]
Oh yes, I forgot to mention, my husband grew up with a pitbull/german shepherd mix as his dog. He said he was really nice and got along well with their other dogs.

--------------------
~Marcia

Last edited by marmilla; 05-13-2008 at 04:55 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you may want to put them both in obedience class and socialize them both for other dogs. it would make you life easier anyway for walks and things.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:38 PM

I would strongly suggest to get a male puppy to your household since your current dog is a female. You can save yourself a lot of problems further down the road when you avoid same sex aggression.

If you adopt a dog, bring your dog to the shelter. A lot of shelters will let you take the dog you are interest in on a walk, where the two dogs can walk next to each other for awhile before sniffing each other. Definitely though let them meet a couple times before deciding whether to adopt or not. Get baby gates and take it really really slow! Also, have you thought about how you will crate and rotate the dogs when you are away from home (work, etc)?

Since you don't know how you dog will tolerate another dog in the house, maybe you should start fostering a puppy and see how well that goes? Because, IMO, once you adopt, the dog is yours and you have to take responsibility for it. For the rest of its life.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciate that you took the time to post!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:48 AM
Will It Ever Change?

oooh you're considering a rotty!! those are my favourite, ever! so of course im biased and i think you should get one. they're SO loyal, i think they're the most loyal breed out there. and so affectionate. when i was growing up we had one, she'd sit on your lap if you let her, all 100lbs of her! lol

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

well my husband went and did it ....without telling me...grrrrr! I was upset.
He comes to me and tells me ...Oh my sister is bringing us a puppy. I said...oh, really please dont tell me that its going to be anytime soon. He said...well, she is on her way, now that she knew someone with rottie puppies. .....WHAT!!!>???

I was upset and told him that is wasnt right he did it like this. I was doing some research on rotties and we werent ready yet. He says....it will be fine. Well, we shall see. I sure hope so. He loves to do things on a whim without thinking things thru. He is the type that learns the hard way. I am so opposite. Also we just got back from being away for 2 days at an assembly. I wasnt at all ready to welcome another pet at all.

His sister arrived like 15 minutes after that. Of course I melted when I saw it. It is a female, about 9 weeks old. We named her Pepper. I wanted to name her Fudge but hubby wanted the name Pepper better.

It stayed in the house last night in our room. It cried and woke up just about every hour. Of course I was the one to get up with it. Felt like I had a baby again. I just had to pet her a bit and she would go back to sleep. I told hubby he would have to help me with her since it was he who wanted another dog so it was His baby too! I took her out this morning to pee and she pooped a lot!

I am a bit upset still but I cant change things now. I told him that I felt disrespected that he did it this way without really discussing it with me...his wife. It was not right to do that to me, or us or even for the puppy cuz I feel we are not really ready yet.

Osa hasnt seen it yet but she sure knows it is here. She can hear it all night and of course she can smell it. We are going to take them both for a walk in a while and see how things go with introductions and the like.
Wish us the best.

Pics will come soon as I can take some and load them up. She is adorable. Hubby .....not so adorable...lol!

Lve Never Fails

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yay puppies!! can't wait for pics

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the new puppy, even though it was unexpected! Good luck introducing her to Osa. Can't wait to see pics

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Congrats on the new puppy! My husband is the same way... very impulsive. Men are little stinkers sometimes. Hopefully Osa will make friends. I'm sure a puppy won't be a challenge to her dominance. Good luck! I can't wait to see pictures. Like I said, my husband had a rot and said he was a real sweetie. I bet she'll make a really nice addition to the family.

--------------------
~Marcia

Tags
chow mix, german shepherd, older dog, shepherd mix